It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Need info, anyone taken Trazadone or nortrityline?

I'm researching meds again! UGH. The Klonopin is getting addciting I think. I take one at bedtime, but lately about 6 p.m. or so, I get this nervous butterfly feeling in my chest & stomach & get kind of shaky, like my body is wanting more!! No way am I going to get sucked into that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #2

marich101 HB User
Re: Need info, anyone taken Trazadone or nortrityline?

Have taken the trazadone but not the nortripyline. Trazadone was one of the better antidepressants I tried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #3

marich101 HB User

The trazadone had a good sedation effect and helped me sleep at night....I'm antsy and a horrible insomniac

Old 04-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
(female)

Doris104 HB User

I take Nortriptyline for cronic pain and to help me sleep at night. I does a real good job for both.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marich101
Have taken the trazadone but not the nortripyline. Trazadone was one of the better antidepressants I tried
Thanks so much for your reply, I have tried so many since my old anti-d quit last fall. None have worked, so trying to get some ideas to work with here.
I don't mind one that is sedating, I am hyper, anxious etc. so would rather be drowsy than checking my racing pulse all the time.
Oh, forgot to ask, is trazadone an SSRI or a tricyclic?

Old 04-24-2004, 01:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris104
I take Nortriptyline for cronic pain and to help me sleep at night. I does a real good job for both.
Thanks for your reply, I have narrowed down that these are about the last two for me to try. I was on amitriptyline for 7 years & it worked great for me til last summer when I noticed the depression coming back full bore. Have tried many since then & I have had awful reactions to them, so talked to the pharmacist & he said that nortryptyline is the closest to the amtrip that I was on. Also, have heard good reports about trazadone too, so we'll see what happens, I see my pdoc Wednesday. I'll let you both know.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Trazadone is neither a tricyclic or an SSRI.I just looked it up in my pDR and this is what it says"desyrel is an antidepressant chemically unrelated to tricyclic,tetracyclic or other known antidepressant agents".It is also not an MAOI inhibitor.Unfortunetly, it dosen't really state just exactly what group of drugs it really belongs in.i don't know if this helps you or not.My son was Rxed this for his insomnia due to depression.It worked fairly well for awhile,but even when we upped the dosage, just stopped working for him.Marcia

Ps the one big warning that they give with this drug that is for male patients only is that in some men, there have been reports of priapism.A sudden erection that will not go away on its own,and in some cases,required surgical intervention to relieve it.Just something to think about before going on it if you are of the male persuation.

Last edited by feelbad; 04-24-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Trazadone is a Triazolopyridine.
Chart of antidepressants:
[url]http://www.psych.uic.edu/education/courses/brain/Janicak/sld017.htm[/url]

I used it twice. It worked great with no side effects except that after I took it, I would pass out withinn 15 minutes, which was very inconvenient because I was I was in college. The second time I tried it, several years later, I started getting blurred vision - which is a very rare side effect, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Other than that, it was fine. It's especially good for people with insomnia. Take it with food, or it will make you nauseous, and start out taking it about an hour before bed, because some people get "hangovers" form it if they take it immediately before bed.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori j
I'm researching meds again! UGH. The Klonopin is getting addciting I think. I take one at bedtime, but lately about 6 p.m. or so, I get this nervous butterfly feeling in my chest & stomach & get kind of shaky, like my body is wanting more!! No way am I going to get sucked into that.
ihi there i am on trazadone it was a wonder for me i would wake up ever hr now that i take it i sleep through the night and has worked on my depression also i've taken amitriptyline but not noratriptyline didnt find it worked for me but i guess there must be a difference between the 2 trazadone i think is an ssri im prety sure good luck kelleigh

Old 04-25-2004, 02:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
Trazadone is neither a tricyclic or an SSRI.I just looked it up in my pDR and this is what it says"desyrel is an antidepressant chemically unrelated to tricyclic,tetracyclic or other known antidepressant agents".It is also not an MAOI inhibitor.Unfortunetly, it dosen't really state just exactly what group of drugs it really belongs in.i don't know if this helps you or not.My son was Rxed this for his insomnia due to depression.It worked fairly well for awhile,but even when we upped the dosage, just stopped working for him.Marcia

Ps the one big warning that they give with this drug that is for male patients only is that in some men, there have been reports of priapism.A sudden erection that will not go away on its own,and in some cases,required surgical intervention to relieve it.Just something to think about before going on it if you are of the male persuation.
No, I'm not male, with a name like Lori, I'd be as bad off as "The Boy Named Sue"!!! LOL

Thanks for the info, I am seeing my pdoc Wednesday, will ask him about it & if he thinks it might be for me..

Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
Trazadone is a Triazolopyridine.
Chart of antidepressants:
[url]http://www.psych.uic.edu/education/courses/brain/Janicak/sld017.htm[/url]

I used it twice. It worked great with no side effects except that after I took it, I would pass out withinn 15 minutes, which was very inconvenient because I was I was in college. The second time I tried it, several years later, I started getting blurred vision - which is a very rare side effect, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Other than that, it was fine. It's especially good for people with insomnia. Take it with food, or it will make you nauseous, and start out taking it about an hour before bed, because some people get "hangovers" form it if they take it immediately before bed.
Thanks Crossbow, I am going to see what my pdoc thinks about this one! We just keep trying.....trying....trying.....

Old 04-25-2004, 06:08 AM   #12
Inactive

enoch HB User

Trazamoan - all stories are different - no one knows until they try it for themselves - Trazadone is one of the many drugs I have been on - for six weeks I thought it was doing a pretty good job - then out of the Blues - I was in a store - and all of a sudden HUGH panic attack - I mean a lay on the floor panic attack - made it back to where I was staying and gobbled about ativan (total 2mg) I had been taking ativan three times daily all along while on trazadone.. But this panic attack that day was really bad - I drove myself to the hospital - to the emergency room - and walked the halls for awhile - at 1000 bucks a pop I figure why check in - if your just there and collapse they have to do something - but if you admit yourself for yet another panic attack - that does not uplift the spirit in anyway - so I walked around near the front desk until the feeling of dying passed and then left - I took no more trazadone - from my experiences the best combo was remeron - seroguel and klonopin - the remeron makes you sleep and vivid dreaming is common - but very relaxed at all times and depression lifted somewhat - however be aware that remeron is a major cholesterol booster in many people and you gain weight - for me it was to the tune of 30 lbs in 7 weeks - I went off remeron and seroquel because of cholesterol problems - but started up with a baby dose of just seroquel each day because it helps me go to sleep.. however seroquel also raises cholesterol to a lesser degree than remeron - I counter this by taking 3000 mgs of omega three (fish oil) cheaply bought just about anywhere. Omega three testing suggests that depresssed people as a whole have a low omega three count in their blood - and in some studies with bi polar depression it was indicated that omega three over a course of daily intake for 4 months can improve depression by 40 percent - however there is no documentation indicating that fish oil is useful as a stand alone agent to fight depression - meaning regular anti depressants and anti psychotics are to be continued while taking fish oil for the best chance of improvement. also just eating fish a few times a week makes no difference regarding omega three in the blood since the needed fats are not enough in regular portions of fish.. However if you should move to inuit (formerly known as eskimo) country and live with the natives and eat whale and seal blubber all the time and find it works well - please let us all know if you ever see a computer again - lol..

good luck if you decide on the trazadone - its worth a try - works well for many people.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I'm noticing a trend here, that most of you who say you've taken trazedone, that its affects didn't last more than a few months. Have any of you questioned your doctors as to why that is? Trying to get armed with all the info I can before Wednesday & docs appt. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Well, pdoc agreed that maybe trazadone might be the one!! I HOPE! I will get it filled tomorrow & see what happens. One to plan Z, I think I've passed A, B, etc....

Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #15

sweetgirlfl HB User

Trazadone is a tricyclic. I took it for a year and it worked well for me and it helped me sleep at night.

Closed Thread