It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #1

irishone HB User
Can this be a drug reaction?

My daughter has something neurological going on that hasn't been diagnosed yet and I'm concerned about antidepressants she's been on and perhaps they may be the cause. Her symptoms mimic MS but the neurolgist was skeptical. She has had memory difficulty, forgetfulness, vertigo, vision disturbances, 'pins and needles', and now her speech is affected. Because of her memory disturbances I've been getting a week's worth of medications ready for her each weekend and am now concerned that maybe the medicines are the cause of it. Here are her medicines (with dosages) that she takes daily.

Wellbutrin 200mg SR (1) in the a.m
Trazedone 100 mg at bedtime
Topomax 100 mg at bedtime
Lexapro 20 mg at bedtime
Seroquel 25 mg (2) at bedtime

This seems to be an awful lot of antidepressant medication going into the system at the same time. She said she's been on the same medicine, same doses, for three years. I'm wondering if it's possible to end up with toxic levels in your bloodstream after that time. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? There are a number of signs of MS, even on a recent MRI, but the neurologist was unconvinced. Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

StarToo HB User
Re: Can this be a drug reaction?

Irishone,
Please look into "seratonin syndrome". I developed it from a combination of too many antidepressants together. It has many symptoms and for some reason, some doctors don't want to look at it as a possibility. I had to research it myself, then insist on medical assistance for it. I hope you find an answer soon. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

I was going to suggest the same thing, here is some info on serotonin syndrome.

Serotonin syndrome is generally caused by the combination of two or more drugs (including herbs, hormones and enzymes) one or both of which act on the serotonin in the brain. ft occurs as result of overdose or combination of serotonin enhancing drugs including but not limited to: citalopram, fluoxetine, sertraline, buspirone, paroxetine, fluvoxamine, 5-hydroxytryptophane, bright light phototherapy, hypericum perforatum (St. John’s Wort), LSD, MDMA (“ecstasy’), L-dopa, pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanoline, ma hung, some over-the-counter cold remedies, buspirone, d-fenfluramine, cyproheptadine, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, anafranil, trazadone, lithium, electroconvulsive therapy, and tricyclic antidepressants. Consumption of foods rich in serotonin such as bananas, tomatoes, plums, avocados, pineapples, eggplant, walnuts, chocolate, wine, broadbeans, cheese, yogurt and sour cream can also contribute to serotonin syndrome on a minor level.

The most common symptoms of serotonin syndrome include: restlessness, confusion, agitation, feeling overheated or excessive sweating, euphoria, racing heartbeat, headache (related to rise in blood pressure), confusion and concentration problems, shakiness, difficulty with reflexes, excessive salivation, rapid contraction and relaxation of the ankle muscle causing abnormal movements of the foot or jaw, clumsiness, feeling intoxicated or dizzy, sweating, muscle twitching, rigidity, loosening of bowels or diarrhea. (Serotonin syndrome is difficult to distinguish from a syndrome called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) due to a similarity in symptoms and signs.)

Old 04-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I have short term memory loss just from taking one AD. This does sound like an awful lot of meds. Whew!!! The others who have posted seem to have a good handle on what the cause of your daughters problems are, you'd think the doctors would know too!!! You may want to mention this info to them. I am constantly finding info on the internet that I need to ask my doctor about. I am just glad that we now can be informed patients and not take the word of doctors without having some knowledge of things before hand...

Old 04-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #5

irishone HB User

Thanks very much to all who responded. I'll be certain to do some more research and have gotten some excellent ideas. All these meds can't be good (or necessary) at least I wouldn't think so. I hope she can get some answers soon. She doesn't see her primary doctor for two weeks and I really wonder if she'll be around that long. She's going downhill rapidly and it's really alarming. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2004, 06:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User

If you see this decline so rapidly, dont wait, take her to the hospital, tell them everything she is on, your concern, the changes and increasing everyday.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

Ann123 HB User

Her problems are typical side effects of the Topamax. I would try eliminating that one.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

It's very unlikely that it's Serotonin syntrome since only one of those meds (Lexapro) affects Serotonin.

You really should be asking your doctor about drug interractions. No one here is a doctor or a pharmacist. I don't think anyone here is even a chemist or anything.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-26-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishone
Thanks very much to all who responded. I'll be certain to do some more research and have gotten some excellent ideas. All these meds can't be good (or necessary) at least I wouldn't think so. I hope she can get some answers soon. She doesn't see her primary doctor for two weeks and I really wonder if she'll be around that long. She's going downhill rapidly and it's really alarming. Thanks again.
DON'T wait for her primary doctor. Take her to the ER stat!!! All those meds, she must be like a walking zombie. Just one of them would have me walking around half asleep all day. Please DO NOT WAIT.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
(female)

StarToo HB User

Crossbow,
I don't think anyone here is claiming to be medical person. We have just been through much. And if a suggestion of a possibility initiates a discussion with your doctor, or gets you to get into the dr. quickly, then it is a good thing. We are here to help each other in whatever way we can. Absolutely ask your dr. about drug interactions, but take all options into account. Star

Old 04-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishone
My daughter has something neurological going on that hasn't been diagnosed yet and I'm concerned about antidepressants she's been on and perhaps they may be the cause. Her symptoms mimic MS but the neurolgist was skeptical. She has had memory difficulty, forgetfulness, vertigo, vision disturbances, 'pins and needles', and now her speech is affected. Because of her memory disturbances I've been getting a week's worth of medications ready for her each weekend and am now concerned that maybe the medicines are the cause of it. Here are her medicines (with dosages) that she takes daily.

Wellbutrin 200mg SR (1) in the a.m
Trazedone 100 mg at bedtime
Topomax 100 mg at bedtime
Lexapro 20 mg at bedtime
Seroquel 25 mg (2) at bedtime

This seems to be an awful lot of antidepressant medication going into the system at the same time. She said she's been on the same medicine, same doses, for three years. I'm wondering if it's possible to end up with toxic levels in your bloodstream after that time. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? There are a number of signs of MS, even on a recent MRI, but the neurologist was unconvinced. Thanks for any help.
definitly look into serotonin syndrome i had a couple of those symptoms and they thought it was that thats alot of stuff to be on WOW! goodluck kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-26-2004 at 05:01 PM.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no patience

definitly look into serotonin syndrome i had a couple of those symptoms and they thought it was that thats alot of stuff to be on WOW! goodluck kelleigh
ps wellbutrin and lexapro both affect serotonin not sure about the others

Closed Thread