It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

misanthrope HB User
Effexor and Memory

Do being depressed, taking meds, feeling constantly tired, sound like valid reasons for doing badly on a course that relies heavily on memorization?

I'm taking Effexor right now. Is one of the side effects memory loss?

I'm having a hard time keeping course material in my brain for my exam tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: Effexor and Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope
Do being depressed, taking meds, feeling constantly tired, sound like valid reasons for doing badly on a course that relies heavily on memorization?

I'm taking Effexor right now. Is one of the side effects memory loss?

I'm having a hard time keeping course material in my brain for my exam tomorrow.
i just read your post and looked up about ssris it says that they can cause memory loss if the dose is to high what is your dosage?

Last edited by no patience; 04-25-2004 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I know I've already said this like 20 times but I'm going to keep saying it until somebody pays attention.

SIDE EFFECTS CAN NOT BE PREDICTED.

Also, memory problems a re a potential side effect for all antidepressants, not just SSRIs. I myself have only met one person who had it, and it was form Prozac.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-25-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
(male)

misanthrope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no patience
i just read your post and looked up about ssris it says that they can cause memory loss if the dose is to high what is your dosage?
hi np, I'm on 225mg, but my doctor says that he might increase that.

I had my exam today. I stayed up all night studying for it. When I got my exam, I couldn't recall any of the material. I probably could have used some sleep. But I am having trouble remembering things even when I have enough sleep.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #5

montreal1951 HB User

Effexor does cause memory problems. I am always searching for words.
Unfortunately antidepressants and studying do not go together.
However, I am aware that many will disagree with me.
We are the culture who thinks it is ok to put children, adolescents and young adults on antidepressants without checking whether it is safe for this group.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

No one ever remembers the material if they stayed up all night cramming. Being tired makes you less able to retain the information in the first place, and then also makes you less able to recall it later.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

misanthrope WOW!!!225 is alot they usually dont reccomend going over 150 and if they have to they usually resort to something else thats amazing i new a lady who was on about the same and it caused memory loss,shaking and constant sweating is it helping you're depression though? post back kelleigh

Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
(male)

misanthrope HB User

Quote:
misanthrope WOW!!!225 is alot they usually dont reccomend going over 150 and if they have to they usually resort to something else thats amazing i new a lady who was on about the same and it caused memory loss,shaking and constant sweating is it helping you're depression though? post back kelleigh
Is that really a high dose? I didn't think it was that high, but then again, I don't know anyone else who is on meds other than me. My doctor has told me that he wants to increase it too! I am not sure I want this. I am scared of the withdrawal effects. I once skipped 2 doses and I felt a massive headache, brain zaps, loss of appetite and the worst thing was the constant feeling of wanting to vomit.

I have noticed that at times, I get shakes, but they are not extreme. The one thing I have noticed now though is that I sweat profusely!! Sometimes, when I wake up, my clothes are practically all wet. I can feel drops of moisture on my skin, it's really disgusting. If I am in a rush, I start to sweat so much, my whole back and arms get wet. I never used to sweat this much.

I think it is helping my depression a bit. Although, I am beginning to notice that I am having suicidal thoughts more often. I don't seem to be able to cry anymore either. I was really worried about this test I had today and had a breakdown last night. I cried, but not a lot of tears came out even though I was really sad. Now, I am feeling apathetic.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
(male)

misanthrope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
No one ever remembers the material if they stayed up all night cramming. Being tired makes you less able to retain the information in the first place, and then also makes you less able to recall it later.
Yes, this is true. But I have found that especially true, whether or not I get enough sleep, for this course only which is based heavily on memorization.

Old 04-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope
Is that really a high dose? I didn't think it was that high, but then again, I don't know anyone else who is on meds other than me. My doctor has told me that he wants to increase it too! I am not sure I want this. I am scared of the withdrawal effects. I once skipped 2 doses and I felt a massive headache, brain zaps, loss of appetite and the worst thing was the constant feeling of wanting to vomit.

I have noticed that at times, I get shakes, but they are not extreme. The one thing I have noticed now though is that I sweat profusely!! Sometimes, when I wake up, my clothes are practically all wet. I can feel drops of moisture on my skin, it's really disgusting. If I am in a rush, I start to sweat so much, my whole back and arms get wet. I never used to sweat this much.

I think it is helping my depression a bit. Although, I am beginning to notice that I am having suicidal thoughts more often. I don't seem to be able to cry anymore either. I was really worried about this test I had today and had a breakdown last night. I cried, but not a lot of tears came out even though I was really sad. Now, I am feeling apathetic.
misanthrope i,m now weaning off effexor was at 150mgs and i'm down to 37.5 w/o any problems you should really tell the dr these symptoms you're having because to high of a dose can cause serotonin syndrome i know one of the symptoms is shaking and tingling and prickling in your face and around the mouth area the reason i'm coming off effexor is because it was/nt really doig its job and they didnt want to raise my dose because my doc said they don't like to go over 150 goodluck and keep me posted kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-27-2004 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:56 AM   #11

corran HB User

[QUOTE=Crossbow]I know I've already said this like 20 times but I'm going to keep saying it until somebody pays attention.

SIDE EFFECTS CAN NOT BE PREDICTED.

I must respectfully disagree with that. Some side-effects CAN be predicted; you can also at times even predict when they will occur. That being said, not everyone gets side effects.... and some people get peculiar ones.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #12

corran HB User

I'm sorry you had trouble with your test. Depression sucks because it inherently causes problems with concentration, motivation and memory. The drugs used to treat it also have their own side-effects....and some people _do_ experience some form of short-term memory problems. Although it is hard to say whether it is entirely the drug, or also the Big 'D' itself.

225 mg isn't an unusually high dose, but it is the FDA approved top limit for Effexor SR. That being said, different people have different metabolisms, and some actually need a higher dose, but usually not more than 300 mg split into 2 doses/ day.----The side-effects of effexor is one of the reasons why it isn't one of the first line drugs they use. Building up to and down from a dose takes time, and you should usually go in increments/decrememnts of 37.5 mg each week.

You are very right about the withdrawal effects of Effexor, and you should NEVER stop it cold turkey. This is coming from someone (i.e. ME) who didn't listen to their doc, and just quit. It was HORRIBLE. You get headaches, constant nausea, weird electric-shock like tinglings....Urrgh.Weaning off is okay though, and is the only way it should be done usually.

Hang in there--- if you think that your depression is getting better on the effexor, then you should go with your doctor's advice, although DO keep them informed about your various side-effects.

And also-- please BE CAREFUL. One of the risks of starting anti-depressant therapy is that because it gives people more energy, it paradoxically causes an INCREASED risk of attempted/completed suicide; as people now have the energy to actually plan, practice suicidal thoughts, BEFORE their mood improves. So make sure you have a SAFETY PLAN.

Take care.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Actually, up to 375 is a "normal" dose.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by corran
I must respectfully disagree with that. Some side-effects CAN be predicted; you can also at times even predict when they will occur. That being said, not everyone gets side effects.... and some people get peculiar ones.
The fact that not everyone gets them and that some people get peculiar ones is exactly what I mean whe I say they can not be predicted. At the very best, all you can say is that there's such-and-such a percentage of likelyhood.

When I asked my pharmacist about some side-effect I was having, she looked it up and said that 7% of people reported it. Then she said, "Seven percent is really high."

So even if we were to say that Effexor has a "high" incidence of causing memory problems - which it doesn't, actually, compared to other antidepressants - "high" mostly likely still means that less than 10% of the people who take it will have that side effect.

Then there are things like Trazadone and Serzone, which have almots 100% of making you sleepy. But that is because the drug was specifically developed as a sedative, not an antidepressant.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-27-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #15

corran HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
Actually, up to 375 is a "normal" dose.
Depending on whether you are talking about the immediate release Effexor, or the sustained release Effexor XR---

225mg/day is the recommended top daily for XR; There is minimal evidence of increased clinical response for doses exceeding 300mg/day.

For the immediate release effexor, dosages did go as high as 375mg split into 3 doses/day...but only in hospitalized patients (i.e SEVERE depression, requiring in-patient management, and close supervision). However, because of the peaks and troughs, the extended release form (i.e.XR) is the preferred drug. So I definitely wouldn't say that 375mg/day is a "normal" dose for Effexor. It would actually be an unusually high dose.

Closed Thread