It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 04:19 PM   #1

Jennhall5 HB User
Weight Gain & Zoloft

Hi everyone,
I know that Zoloft=weight gain. In my case, I gained 20+ lbs in only 5 months. However, I stopped taking it two months ago, and have not lost a pound. I eat very lightly & exercise 5+ days/week. I need some support, something to keep me going because i am getting more depressed as the days go by. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for the Zoloft to get completely out of your system so you start losing the weight?

I am only 21 years old, and I know my metabolism hasnt slowed down this much in only a few months. I know it is the Zoloft, but I need some words of encouragement..........anyone?

~Jenn

Old 04-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #2

Tanki HB User
Re: Weight Gain & Zoloft

I know in some cases, that Zoloft can cause weight gain, but not too many people do..

Eating lightly as in what? Do you still get all your food groups in daily? Eating less doesn't mean that it will cause you to loose weight, got to eat properly, have your full meals. If you don't eat enough calories in a day etc then what you do eat will turn to fat.

I know it's not fun to gain weight, it's good to hear you are loosing, make sure you are eating enough though, otherwise it's tougher to loose..

Have you discussed this with your doctor at all? Established a healthy way to loose weight and still get the amount of food you should be eating on a daily basis?

Wait did that make sense? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #3

Ava11 HB User

Yes Zoloft does = weight gain as do almost all SSRI's. I was on Zoloft and gained 25lbs.........and I don't normally have a weight problem either! I was off it for quite a while before I lost weight! Actually, I ended up going on the South Beach and lost 29lbs!!

Old 04-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I gained 40 pounds on Paxil. I've been off it a year and a half, haven't lost a pound. At least I stopped gaining.

Make sure you get enough exercise to keep your metabolism up.

And Zoloft doesn't necessarily equal weight gain; my uncle was on it for several years with no weight gain.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #5

Tanki HB User

I think it's different for everyone, I never gained weight on any SSRI's, I think it just differs. Some people yes gain weight, but if you have a proper diet, exercise you can keep the weight now, or loose it all together.

Paxil I know lot of people gained weight from it and never lost it, Paxil more then any anti depressant has that problem, not quite sure why, but actually I just learned that Paxil is used for cancer, just found that out not too long ago...Interesting isn't it?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #6

Jennhall5 HB User

Thanks for your replies.
"eating lightly" to me is eating only when im hungry. in the past I have had a compulsive eating disorder, and i loved food so much i couldnt stop eating. Now I only eat when I'm hungry, probably 3-4 small meals a day.

I am swimming and running 5 times a week. This is more than enough exercise for me. I am a Health Science major in college, and I know what they say to do to lose the weight. Well, its not working for me.

I have talked to my Dr. and I also got a second opinion from another Dr. They both said it was the Zoloft and it would just take time to lose the weight. They said they didnt know how long it would take, but that it would eventually come off.

So I guess there is nothing else I can do but to wait patiently. Patience is one thing I do not have! Thanks for all your support.

~Jenn

Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #7

Tanki HB User
Talking Re: Weight Gain & Zoloft

Actually did you know, that only eating when you are hungry isn't really a good thing? It actually depends how much your eating on a day, getting your food groups in, are you eating 3 meals a day.

I am learning all this new stuff with eat properlly etc. If you ignore your stomache when its hungry and eat say..... 4 hours later and then you realize you aren't hungry anymore you are depriving the brain, and if you continue to do that and the more and more you do it , that part of the brain will eventually shut off, that is how alot of eating disorders happen. I did that alot with ignoring the grumbles in the stomache. I don't know if that made sense, does it?

It's good to hear you are exercising it doing what you can to keep healthy. I don't swim cause I suck at it.. lol but swimming is definatly I think the best exercise, I do an hour on the elliptical every other day roughly, but it's more then I use to do I commend you for keeping it up, good for you

Just keep doing what you are doing, you will notice something soon, just don't give up.. take care of you.. and you seem to be doing that quite well.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #8

Keen17 HB User

Pick up this book if you are trying to lose weight after taking anti-depressants or any drug really that weight gain was a side affect.

The Fat Flush Plan by Ann louise Gittleman

She explains why it's hard to lose weight after taking anti-depressants.

My sister was on Zoloft for a couple years. She couldn't lose weight after no matter what she did. The only thing that helped her was this book.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #9

Jennhall5 HB User

Hey Keen17,
Thanks, I will have to read that book.
Tanki- I used to have an eating disorder, that is why i can only eat when i am hungry now. I was a compulsive eater, completely obsessed with food. it was the only thing i could constantly think about, it was really bad. For my sake, i should only be eating when i am hungry, to help me get rid of my eating disorder for good. Thanks for all your advice, keep it up. It is the only thing that is keeping me going right now........
~Jenn

Closed Thread