It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #1

renzilla HB User
Welbutrin XL

Hello everyone. I came across this site in search of information about the side effects I'm having on Welbutrin XL. I started taking 150mg on 4/22 (today was the 5th day) to help combat depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, it's increased my anxiety 10-fold and made me somewhat paranoid! I also find myself even mor depressed than I was before I started taking it. I am however getting the bonus of loss of apetite which isn't bad because I'm on Weight Watchers

I'm not sure how to handle this as it is, I've got a lot of demands in my life - I have children and a husband who works nights, and I work a 40+ hr/week job. I have no additional help, including that of my husband

Last edited by renzilla; 04-26-2004 at 03:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #2

renzilla HB User
Re: Welbutrin XL

I should add (which I was doing when I accidently double posted) that I am crying at the drop of a hat and I don't even know why. The depression I felt before taking these meds was different - or at least the way I managed it before was. But now its all consuming emotions and I can't seem to control them. I spoke to the nurse, and all she could say was to increase my dose tomorrow to the 300mg - this scares me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Inactive

cloudnine HB User

hey there...i also just recently started wellbutrin xl, i've been on it for 6 days actually. i also have bad anxiety, and the first few lotta days were horrible!! i was depressed, and i had panic attacks even tho i had nnever had them!!! i was scared outta my mind. they are subsiding now tho...if i were you, i would give the 150 mg a few more days to have your body get used to it, and if it still is not working, either increase the dose or try a diff med...hope this helps, and good luck!
peace
cloudnine

Old 04-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Welbutrin is not indicated for anxiety. I'm surprised they gave it to you. Tell your doctor right away that you are having these side effects. I felt exactly the same way when I took only Welbutrin and no SSRI - when I was alone I was crying at the drop of a hat, and when I was with other people I was furious all the time. I was also really jittery.

On the plus side, Welbutrin has no withdrawal, so if it gets unbearable you can stop taking it and you should be back to "normal" in a day or two.

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-26-2004 at 07:38 PM.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:14 AM   #5

renzilla HB User

Thank you both for responding! I did talk to the nurse (can't talk to the doctor, only the nurse ) and I kept telling her over and over again these side effects. She just kept saying "I'm sorry - increase to 300mg". Do doctors get a kick back for this drug or something?

Thank you for the info that there are no withdrawal symptoms. That really does help to know I can go cold turkey if its really bad.

And she insisted that it would be able to treat anxiety as well as depression This was the first time I had seen this doctor so I'm not entirely comfortable with her yet. Maybe I should have gone to someone else.

I have been avoiding taking my pill this morning but I need to take it soon. I think I will stick with 150mg until I run out (Saturday I think) and then go to 300mg.

crossbow - what's an SSRI???

Old 04-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzilla
She just kept saying "I'm sorry - increase to 300mg". Do doctors get a kick back for this drug or something?
I think that's illegal, but it's possible.

Quote:
And she insisted that it would be able to treat anxiety as well as depression ...

... crossbow - what's an SSRI???
Xanax is for anxiety, but it only helps when you're having an anxiety attack - it won't prevent you form feeling anxious. It's also addictive.

SSRI = selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. A class of antidepressants including Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil, Luvox, and Lexapro. they tend to have a very calming effect, and the most common side effect is tiredness.

Welbutrin, an aminoketone, has an energizing effect, and the most common side effects are nervousness and anxiety. It's best for people who are depressed but not anxious. It's commonly used togetehr with an SSRI.

They are probably thinking the Xanax will counter the Welbutrin, be Xanax, a benzodiazepine, is so calming it will knock you out if you're not careful, but it is very addictive. It's also really good for tension - I take it for my TMJD. (Temporomandibular joint disorder, caused by tense or overworked jaw muscles.)

Last edited by Crossbow; 04-27-2004 at 10:36 AM.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 AM   #7

corran HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzilla
Thank you both for responding! I did talk to the nurse (can't talk to the doctor, only the nurse ) and I kept telling her over and over again these side effects. She just kept saying "I'm sorry - increase to 300mg". Do doctors get a kick back for this drug or something?
Hearing stuff like this gets me mad.... you should ALWAYS be able to access your doctor, especially when it comes to antidepressant therapy. I would call the nurse back and insist on speaking with your physician. Nurses are good for following flow sheets etc; I think one of the reasons she is not listening to you is 'cos she is just ignorant.

Crossbow's post is right-- wellbutrin is not used to treat anxiety. It makes people more jittery. If you are having a lot of side-effects on just 150 mg/day, then I would be hesitant to go up to a higher dose, until you see if your body adjusts to this dose; however skipping a dose whenever you feel badly isn't the way to go. These drugs work best when you can take them around the same time each day.

Antidepressants need some time to build up to a steady state drug level in your body.....that's why it takes several weeks to figure out if something is working for you or not. However, if you are getting side-effects you can't tolerate, or are disturbing to you, then perhaps this isn't the right drug. Afterall, they are supposed to make you feel somewhat better.......

Also I would stay away from xanax and other short-acting anti-anxiety drugs if anxiety plays a large component here. There are better, safer drugs out there to be used.

Bottom-line is that there are many facets to treating depression. A combination of psychotherapy and drug therapy works the best. I don't believe that depression can just be treated with medicines alone.... there are many other aspects to it.... The medicine is just one piece of the puzzle, but you need to be able to access your doctors/ therapists when you need help with stuff, or have questions.

Talking to a nurse just doesn't cut it...especially one who doesn't listen to your complaints. If this goes on, I personally would go looking around for someone else who has more time to invest in my care.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:52 AM   #8

LadyVyxen81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
Welbutrin is not indicated for anxiety. I'm surprised they gave it to you. Tell your doctor right away that you are having these side effects. I felt exactly the same way when I took only Welbutrin and no SSRI - when I was alone I was crying at the drop of a hat, and when I was with other people I was furious all the time. I was also really jittery.

On the plus side, Welbutrin has no withdrawal, so if it gets unbearable you can stop taking it and you should be back to "normal" in a day or two.
Exactly. Wellbutrin can actually increase anxiety because it increases dopamine, which could have some role in anxiety.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
(female)

lacy802 HB User
Question Re: Welbutrin XL

I started taking Welbutrin XL about 2 weeks ago. I have since had a very traumatizing anxiety attack, and I cry about every little thing. I like it because I have more energy, and less appetite, which is good because I am overweight. I have almost quit smoking as well. On the other hand, I can not tolerate the anxiey attacks. I took Zoloft for many years, and it has stopped working. I don not have depression that bad, mainly just anxiety. I feel like my brain is going to explode sometimes. I wonder if Prozac or something else would help more.

Closed Thread