It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #1

justfortoday HB User
who gained weight and was not able to lose it after ssri use

Well I asked for responses from people who had taken paxil and been able to lose the weight afterwards and only got 2 replies. Is this because everyone else is unable to lose weight? Who here has gained weight while taking paxil and has been unable to lose it? How long were you on paxil and how long has it been since you quit? ARe you eating differently, notice any difference in eating or exersize?? I gained 20 pounds on paxil and this is a nightmare for me. I need the weight to come off. I've been trying this low carb diet and it feels really hard for me to follow this but I am doing it. Before the paxil I ate anything that I wanted whenver I wanted and never gained weight and now I eat much much less and can't get this 20 pounds off of me. It's really not okay that this drug did this to me. I feel like telling my psych how I feel that she would prescribe me this drug that would cause so much weight gain but I guess its not her fault right because many doctors prescribe this drug? I just cant understand how they could prescribe a drug that causes extreme weight gain to already depressed people

Old 04-27-2004, 07:28 PM   #2

google321 HB User
Re: who gained weight and was not able to lose it after ssri use

I actually lost weight on paxil. I think that women gain weight on paxil. I am just guessing. Anyways, just keep eating healthily and exercising. Not much you can do, but wait and see what happens. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 07:44 PM   #3

Keen17 HB User

Pick up this book if you are trying to lose weight after taking anti-depressants or any drug really that weight gain was a side affect.

The Fat Flush Plan by Ann louise Gittleman

She explains why it's hard to lose weight after taking anti-depressants.

My sister was on Zoloft for a couple years. She couldn't lose weight after no matter what she did. The only thing that helped her was this book.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Keen17--

Does the book still work if you are still ON SSRI's?????

Salty

Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 AM   #5

Keen17 HB User

I'll let ya know, I'm on Effexor and started it yesterday. I did this diet a year ago and lost lots of weight. I will know the difference being on Effexor...I'll post and let you know by monday if it's working.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you!!!!!!!

Salty

Old 04-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Keen17, do you follow the book verbatim? Doesn't it cost a lot to get all the different kinds of foods?

Do you also take the vitamins, etc. they sell on the website?

Thanks for posting to see if it works. I've got to do SOMETHING!

Salty

Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #8

Keen17 HB User

No, I dont' follow the book to a "t" and yes I bought the supliments and drink the cranberry juice. The book recommends that you purchase all organic foods, I have done this diet with organics and without and get the same result. You are basically detoxing and cleansing your system because the drugs have built up in our systems and prevents us to lose weight. After I do this diet for two weeks I go back to eating healthy and exercise and the weight continues to come off. This diet helps you jump start.

I would imagine even if you didn't buy the vitamins and just ate the way the book tells you, you would still lose weight. If you bought all organic food it would be more expensive. If you don't buy all organic then it's no more than your regular grocery bill especially if you have all the spices already. If you were to get the supliments, i'd say to start it would be 30-50 dollars more than your normal grocery bill that week.

It's an amazing feeling after you do this diet because you are completely free of sugar and salt and you're running on all natural fuel...it feels great! Just have to make sure you continue a reasonable diet and exercise program when you are finished with the initial 2 weeks of the diet because with just like any diet you will gain the weight back. But at least this program cleans out your system in order to lose weight for those suffering from medication preventing them to.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Keen17. I'm anxious to know how you make out this time. Please keep me posted.

Salty

Old 04-29-2004, 07:23 AM   #10

NANKY HB User

I Noticed I Gained This Weight And In My Life Time I Have Never Had Sooooo Much Trouble Getting It Off. I Thought It Was Because I Was Getting Older (over 35).

Old 04-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #11
Inactive

mouse62 HB User

No, the age thing shouldn't matter until you are well into perimenopause (for women) which is usually mid- to late 40s. Like I said, I'm pretty sure my anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds are the factor that put all the weight on -- all in the abdomen, too. (Yuck)

Old 04-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I gained 30-40 pounds on Paxil. When I switched to Lexapro a year and a half ago, I stopped gaining but I haven't lost any. But I did gain it evenly over my body, and I'm exercise a lot, so it doesn't look as it sounds. The worst thing has been the expense of buying no clothes.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:09 PM   #13

Keen17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen17
I'll let ya know, I'm on Effexor and started it yesterday. I did this diet a year ago and lost lots of weight. I will know the difference being on Effexor...I'll post and let you know by monday if it's working.

Hey Salty it's been almost a week on the fat flush diet and it's working nicely =)

Old 05-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great Keen17! I'm going to give it a try (as soon as I get the book).

Salty

Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #15

cocacolagirl HB User

I know how that feels. I used to be a slim, fit person, and after all the drugs, I now have weight to lose and it just will not come off. I actually just posted myself about the whole issue.

Dana

Closed Thread