It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
(male)

SeeSaw99 HB User
Happy people and depression

Okay--very simple but pertinent question.

Why do cheery, bright, bubbling with energy people make my depression hit home even more? It's like it emphasizes the sadness and makes you feel worse.

Just a very simple thought. But so true.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #2

Keen17 HB User
Re: Happy people and depression

Ah yeah, I know what you're saying! There's this woman I work with that is ALWAYS happy and in a good mood with super high energy. When I was depressed (before the meds) she would TOTALLY irritate me. I think it's almost like I was jealous that she was so happy and I couldn't be there. Like I couldn't understand what she had to be so damn happy about! lol Yeah made me feel waaaay more depressed, like it really magnify's how screwed up you are for being so down all the time.

Anyway, funny thing is she's like become a great friend of mine ever since I've been on antidepresants and she doesn't irritate me anymore. It's such a trip.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Jealousy, that's what I think.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #4

corran HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSaw99
Okay--very simple but pertinent question.

Why do cheery, bright, bubbling with energy people make my depression hit home even more? It's like it emphasizes the sadness and makes you feel worse.

Just a very simple thought. But so true.
Likely 'cos when you are depressed, you really don't have the energy to interact with people. Sometimes the lively, bubbly people are really craving attention, and are very needy in their own way. When you are depressed, you just don't have the resources to deal with them, and they won't go away and leave you alone. It takes energy, and quite frankly can wipe you out dealing with their needs before your own.

Also you are right, it just emphasizes to you how crappy you feel in contrast, and you start wondering why you can't be bubbly etc, making you feel worse.

Just remember that depression is a brain chemistry thing. Just like how some people have diabetes, asthma, or high blood pressure, and some people don't. There is nothing wrong or damaged about you. It just takes time, and effort to get better...but you WILL get better. Some days more, some days less, but soon there will be more good days than bad.

Hang in there.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #5

dsthymiaqueen HB User

sounds like garden variety depression to me

Old 05-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Well, sometimes bubbly people are just annoying, whether you are depressed or not.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #7

LuvMyBostons HB User

Happy people are not necessarily happy. They may have lots of problems, but they hide behind their masks. Some may be truly happy while the others might not, but they aren't showing.

Or they may be starving for attention. For example when I go out to have a good time, people always comment that I look so happy or I am really wild flirting etc. When I am at home, I am not like that. I become very quiet and passive. I have to admit I like getting attention among people so it is possible those happy people are looking for attention?

Old 05-03-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
(female)

solcita HB Usersolcita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBostons
Happy people are not necessarily happy. They may have lots of problems, but they hide behind their masks. Some may be truly happy while the others might not, but they aren't showing.

Or they may be starving for attention. For example when I go out to have a good time, people always comment that I look so happy or I am really wild flirting etc. When I am at home, I am not like that. I become very quiet and passive. I have to admit I like getting attention among people so it is possible those happy people are looking for attention?

I totally agree with you. Before my depression I use to be the center of attention and I really liked it. While the darkest moments I didn't even leave my room. Now I'm getting better, I know that I'm still depressed but at least I hang out with my friends and believe me, most of them would never believe you if you tell them I'm depressed... I just try to forget about that and enjoy the moment...

Closed Thread