It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Question how do you know????

my question is this is if you start taking an ssri mao etc and your depression starts to go away you know the drug is doing its job .well my question is this if the meds are what are making you better how do you know when you can stop taking them can someone clarify this for me if you can i know it's a wierd question but i 'm just confused i've been on lexapro for about 3 to 4 weeks and i don't feel as depressed any more but what would happen if i weaned off it does it come back or are we cured any response would be helpful thanks kelleigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #2

felix1028 HB User
Re: how do you know????

I took a MAOI for 5 years. While it helped my depression to a certain degree, it also made me realize that for the rest of my life I would have to take some kind of medication for my depression. I now take Prozac but still have severe bouts of depression and am trying to accept the fact it's something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life, just as I've lived with it for the last 40 years.

Last edited by felix1028; 04-28-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1028
I took a MAOI for 5 years. While it helped my depression to a certain degree, it also made me realize that for the rest of my life I would have to take some kind of medication for my depression. I now take Prozac but still have severe bouts of depression and am trying to accept the fact it's something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life, just as I've lived with it for the last 40 years.
felix i figured thet was one of the responses i would get i think you're definitly right that once we are on thes medications thats how it is i've been on effexor, paxil, now lexapro i wonder what the next one will be thank you so much for replying kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 04-29-2004 at 05:13 AM.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:42 AM   #4

jayt243 HB User

While there may come a time when you are able to stop taking anti-depressants, feeling better on the meds does not mean you're cured. It means the meds are working! Some people will need the meds for the rest of their lives, and some may stop needing them when certain situations that may be causing the depression pass.

As for my own experience, I was on Wellbutrin a few years ago when I was in high school, but after I graduated I stopped taking it because my situation changed and I didn't need it anymore. I was fine for a couple of years, but just last fall I started a new school and got really depressed again. I'm on Effexor now for that and social anxiety, and although I do feel much better now, I know I'm not ready to stop taking it. I accept that it's something I may have to take for a while, maybe several years, but I do hope that some day I can stop. I think you just need to be aware of what's going on around you and ask yourself, if you stop the meds, is your depression likely to come back?

Old 04-29-2004, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

There are too many factors for us to give you a real answer. Sometimes all you need is to be on the meds long enough to get you through therapy. Other people need to be on meds forever. Some people shoudln't be on meds at all.

After I'd been on Paxil a year or two, my new doctor asked me about getting off it, and I told her, "No way, I'm not getting off it until it feels normal not to be depressed." She thought that was a good plan.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

the reason i first started these meds was from losing my mother and from having to deal with chronic pain everyday i was just curious because i feel a little better but i also went through a severe opiate w/d thats why i'm taking them now and just wondered how you know when you're ok because i can't be aware of that if the medicine is doing it for me i guess i'm just different i don't know it's just really confusing to me i guess if chronic pain depresses you i'll be on it the rest of my life thanks kelleigh hope i make sense

Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

cross bow thanks i guess i just analyze things to much but thanks for the reply kelleigh

Closed Thread