It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

angeleyesinga HB User
Zoloft: Questions & Help please...

I am new to zoloft, 4 weeks now. I started with the 25 mg for the first week and moved up to 50 mg the second as my Dr. suggested, the regular routine. She suggested I take it at night but I find myself dragging during the mornings, trying to get the kids out and I have a 2 yr old all day. So I switched last week to taking it in the morning and that has helped some. I can't sleep at night, no matter what. I get up starving at 3 am wanting something sweet. I have even tried taking sleeping pills and I still wake up. I had this problem before starting zoloft it just seems to have increased the hunger part. My Dr. suggested upping the dosage to 75 or 100 mg or what suits me, that's just it I don't know. I am not a person to play with the dosage of medicine. Should I take 1 in the morning and 1 at night or all in the monring? I am worried I will get to tired or droggy during the day or gain more weight. She said they all have different effect on your body. I feel like the zoloft has helped me with my depression but I still have anxiety days. I almost feel like my body is getting immune to it, does that makes since? I have no energy, desire or ambition. My husband works all the time so I can stay home with our 3 children but it's not exactly a happy home because he's always tired, irritable and hateful at times. He doesn't exactly help my self esteem either but all I can do is pray for him. Any advice or information on zoloft is greatly appreciatted. I need all the help I can get! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

quinnersmom HB User
Re: Zoloft: Questions & Help please...

Anti depressants are so trial and error. I would try to up the dose for 4 weeks and see if it makes a difference. It is so hard to hurry up and wait for the meds to start working.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:18 PM   #3

lostbecause HB User

Hello,
All I can say is be careful. I thought Zoloft would be the answer to my problems. No. I only take 50mg a day and have for the last 6 months or so. I may be cheerful on the outside, but I am hollow inside. I don't really care about anything anymore. The things I used to care about just seem to fade into feelings of apathy. If you want to talk to me please don't hesitate.

JB

Old 04-28-2004, 10:32 PM   #4

cctori HB User
Exclamation Re: Zoloft: Questions & Help please...

I am also a newbie to Healthboards, but am relieved to have found this site. I also would advise you to be very careful......
After the birth of my third child, I was having some mood swings before my period that were worse than normal. My husband suggested I speak with my doctor about it when I went for my pap. Since I was breastfeeding, my doctor suggested Zoloft. She said she would normally prescribe birth control pills, but I couldn't take those while nursing. I have never been depressed or had any of the conditions that Zoloft is prescribed for. I asked many questions about dependency and withdrawal and was assured that I could stop at any time if I wanted. I was on 50 mg for about 5 months. It really seemed to help for the first two months, then I noticed my mood swings were back and worse! I also always felt like I was "dragging". I have never been on any prescription med before this, and decided it just wasn't for me and stopped taking them.
Since stopping, I have experienced what I know have learned is labeled "the zaps". I feel like I am constantly dizzy and off balance. It has been two weeks, and I am just now noticing that it is getting better. I had no trouble sleeping while taking the Zoloft, but now I'm lucky to get 2 hours a night. I am just a little disturbed that doctors are handing out this stuff like candy, assuring patients it's harmless, and if you have any problems...well, just up your milligrams.
I stopped taking it cold turkey, which I hear isn't the best way. But after researching others problems with it, I'm glad I did!

CT

Old 05-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

angeleyesinga HB User

Quote:
Anti depressants are so trial and error. I would try to up the dose for 4 weeks and see if it makes a difference. It is so hard to hurry up and wait for the meds to start working.
It's a shame it takes so long to notice a difference or the affect.

Quote:
All I can say is be careful. I thought Zoloft would be the answer to my problems. No. I only take 50mg a day and have for the last 6 months or so. I may be cheerful on the outside, but I am hollow inside. I don't really care about anything anymore. The things I used to care about just seem to fade into feelings of apathy. If you want to talk to me please don't hesitate.
I feel the same way, I don't know how much it has helped me all I know is I don't cry all the time now. So I know I better in that department! I would love to talk to you more about this, thanks.

Quote:
I am also a newbie to Healthboards, but am relieved to have found this site. I also would advise you to be very careful......
Quote:
After the birth of my third child, I was having some mood swings before my period that were worse than normal. My husband suggested I speak with my doctor about it when I went for my pap. Since I was breastfeeding, my doctor suggested Zoloft. She said she would normally prescribe birth control pills, but I couldn't take those while nursing. I have never been depressed or had any of the conditions that Zoloft is prescribed for. I asked many questions about dependency and withdrawal and was assured that I could stop at any time if I wanted. I was on 50 mg for about 5 months. It really seemed to help for the first two months, then I noticed my mood swings were back and worse! I also always felt like I was "dragging". I have never been on any prescription med before this, and decided it just wasn't for me and stopped taking them.
Quote:
Since stopping, I have experienced what I know have learned is labeled "the zaps". I feel like I am constantly dizzy and off balance. It has been two weeks, and I am just now noticing that it is getting better. I had no trouble sleeping while taking the Zoloft, but now I'm lucky to get 2 hours a night. I am just a little disturbed that doctors are handing out this stuff like candy, assuring patients it's harmless, and if you have any problems...well, just up your milligrams.
Quote:
stopped taking it cold turkey, which I hear isn't the best way. But after researching others problems with it, I'm glad I did!
When you stopped taking them cold turkey, has your depression came back? I have had trouble sleeping before and since zoloft. I am clueless of what to do, it's definately trial and error but we have to suffer in between ya know. I am damed if I do and damed if I don't. Thanks for all the support.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:59 AM   #6

clare noble HB User
Re: im new here can someone help me

hello my name is clare and i only found this site yesterday,

im confused as if im imagining that im depressed or if i am actually depressed im going to counselling at the moment but ive only been twice and it doesnt seem to be doing me much good at the moment

i have trouble sleeping at night but in the day all i want to do is sleep im contantly crying and get very irritated with everbody, ive got no interest in anything and everything is such a big effort for me to do this, i had a mc two years ago and was put on antil depressents for three months and then told i was ok and taken of them, i flet that they didnt do anything and things have just gone from bad to worse.

does anybody else feel like this or is it just me

clare

Old 05-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #7

lostbecause HB User

I feel the same way right now Clare. Lost, don't care, but I don't understand why I am feeling this way. Let's talk some more. Jeff

Old 05-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #8

clare noble HB User

Hi Jeff it wpuld be nice to talk, i feel so along at times and very desperate it feels like noone cares what happens to me.

thanks for replying

clare

Old 05-02-2004, 06:30 AM   #9

khoff HB User

Angeleyesinga -

I too have depression and tried many meds which did not work. I now am on zoloft 150mg/day and have no side effects whatsoever. It helps a bit.

My advice is that anti-depressants alone are not the cure. Mixed with cognitive behavioral therapy with a psycholgist works much better. It is both the chemical and psychological symptoms that should be worked on. I have heard this from every therapist I know.
In addition, talk to your doc about either trazadone or amytriptaline for your sleep. Both are tricyclic anti-depressants which used in small dosages can help you sleep. It is ok to take either with the zoloft without side effects.
Lastly, please never never never go cold turkey off a anti-depressant. This is what gives the zaps, and other bad effects. Always taper down slowly and you will have no problem.

Ken

Old 05-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #10

moxie500 HB User

Hi, was compelled to write you not only about the Zoloft, but some of the other things I read in your post. I am going to answer your post based on what I have gone through which, I believe, has been quite a lot for the average person, especially this past 2 years.

As far as the Zoloft, if you stay on it, have you tried Ambien for sleeping. I know someone that had sleep problems on Zoloft and Ambien worked for them.

Have you read the posts on this forum about withdrawal symptoms of getting off Zoloft........if not, there are 3 pages of them. You might reconsider the Zoloft because they seem severe.

I found Celexa to be the key for me. 40 mg is par and it takes 8 weeks to get into the system. There are some symptoms, like all head meds (as I call them), like the sleepiness at first, etc., but these things disappear. Over time my dosage was raised and I am settled into 60 mg and there are some people on higher doses. I don't believe getting off of it is any major event, but I'm not planning on it anyway.

When I read your post I read into a marriage that (maybe I shouldn't have compared it my life, but I did!) was similar to mine for 27 years (we are now separated, awaiting a divorce, thank you! it's a good thing for me and I also read into it that you have low self-esteem and possibly low self-worth (been there, don't miss it). These are definitely deadly combinations for depression (don't miss that either).

Everyone is an individual with different problems in life and of course everyone wants happiness. I did some research on the web about 2 years ago and I found a book that changed my way of thinking. It has sold millions of copies. It is called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I bought a copy from the used books at Amazon for about $6, including shipping.

Trying to say a lot to you in text here and there so much I don't know about your situation, I am not a professional at these things, but I see you are not happy and quite frankly.......there is no excuse for your husband to be hateful..........NEVER. He has no right to be disrespectful to you or your children.

I do hope you have some activity(ies) so that you get out of the house for fun and do something with your family or your friends weekly. This is important.

I will pray for your husband that he gets some help because inevitably, you will receive the warm loving reprecussions. You have 3 children to take care and a house, groceries, clothes, etc. etc. etc. it's hard work. You say he works hard. You work just as hard as he does, if not harder. Please do not make excuses for someone's bad behavior.

Okay, I'm done lecturing. There is so much I could tell you. Please work on your self-esteem, you're a good person! I could tell from your post! Keep seeking answers for your depression. Do little things to make yourself feel good, whatever it takes. Look to the future.......there is sunshine out there.

I must tell you I see the old me in your post and these past two years have been so different. I'm happy, I'm handling life. Has it been easy.......heck no, but I have a good attitude and I look forward to the future. If my direction is what you seek, I do hope you find it because it there for you.

Roberta

Roberta

Old 05-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #11

bastila HB User

I take Zoloft for anxiety. I take half a pill as needed. A bottle usually last me about 4-6 months. My dr. had me taking a pill a day and i begin to feel like a zombie; it was too much. If you feel wiped out or draggy then you may be taking too much. With your Dr. suppervision you might cut back. Taking half a pill every other day...or as needed....
Bastila

Old 05-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #12

clare noble HB User

Hi i dont mean to jump in,

but ive only taken one kind of antil depressent before and they did nothing for me and ive been so desperate the last week or so my depression seems to be getting worse im even having panic attacks when im out, i am seeing a couselllor but its early days at them moment so it doesnt seem to be doing much.

i feel so deperate i feel like giving up ive got no energy and i feel like im in a big black hole and with no ending im getting so desperate im worried i dont know what to do anymore.

clare

Old 05-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #13

bastila HB User

Clare,
I am here if you wish to talk.
Bastila

Old 05-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #14

clare noble HB User

yes please im trying to sleep but have given up for a while so much is going through my head at the moment

Old 05-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #15

bastila HB User

What is going through your head? My mind is like a fairis wheel. I have to sort through the noise. Sometimes when i write i have two or three trains of thoughts being journaled at the same time and then i have to go and sort them out.

Closed Thread