It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #1

Shy Bunny HB User
Depression??

Hello. I am not quite sure if this is what I'm going through, and I am too shy to go speak to a professional. I've done some research on symptoms of depression and I do have quite a few of them but I figured asking here would be best.
I've always been a worrier but with many things coming up next month, I am constantly worrying. I am extremely irritable, I get angry easily as well as sad. I am self-conscious and it's gotten worse lately. I am ticked off by small things, I misinterpret things, I am convinced that my bf prefers other girls over me (although he actually does not do anything to make this a valid case). I am constantly sleepy, and even if I'm not, I sleep anyway. Classes are no longer important... or so they feel. I have a slight headache all the time (but not enough for me to take painkillers), and I've lost my appetite. Yesterday, I had cereal for breakfast and then before I knew it, had not eaten lunch or dinner...until my bf found out and urged me to eat something. I dont know if this matters but I've lost interest in sex also. I've been like this for more than two weeks now and am irritated at myself. I'm going to be graduating and moving, but I havent found a place to move into, I havent found a job that I enjoy, and here I am, pretty much hopeless. I also found out that my dad is in constant pain recently. (unfortunately I posted in the spinal cord section but had gotten no advice...)
I might add tho, I dont have suicidal thoughts.
Am I just going through a moody phase or should I speak to someone? Any info would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Depression??

You can have all the symptoms of depression without suicidal thoughts. I think it's called dysthmia, look it up. That is what I have. I don't have suicidal thoughts, but I am an obsessive worrier, before meds I had all the symptoms you list, but even with meds I still have low self esteem & have a hard time socializing with people I don't know well. The meds have helped in most of the other areas of my depression. Don't be afraid or shy to go seek professional help, believe me, they have heard much worse than what you or I have to tell them. Don't let your life be ruled by depression, I did for too many years & feel those were totally wasted years of my life.

Get some help & professional advice.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

No, you're not just moody. You should definitely see someone. If you're in school, you have access to free counselling. This won't fix itself. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #4

Shy Bunny HB User

Thank you, Lori j and Crossbow,
It's so nice to hear advice from others. The reason why I am reluctant to speak to anyone (counseling) is because I feel that perhaps I am just imagining that I am going through something -that perhaps my moodiness is not even worth bringing up to someone. But now that I've gotten your responses, I am a bit more encouraged to contact someone. I've always been a worrier (like I said earlier) but it's gotten far worse lately -Lori, you said that you were once before and the meds have eased it a bit... after taking medication, how does that help? I mean, how can you not worry about things?? I just feel like I cannot stop worrying... so bad that I can't get good sleep (although I sleep all the time), I constantly feel like I'm forgetting something, or something needs to be done and I cant get it done...
I cant emphasize it enough but it was a really pleasant surprise to see that you two wrote me back. Thank you again.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:03 AM   #5
(female)

solcita HB Usersolcita HB User

Another worrier in here!
Hi! I'm Sol... I am a constant worrier as well, but I don't see the relation between that and depression.
I've been depressed for... 6-7 months already... but I still didn't seek help... I'm not a very open person about my feelings... and speaking with a stranger is not something I've been wiling to do... you know what I mean?
For the last few days I started to see how important it would be to speak with a professional but still I haven't done so.
But, after saying this I've gotta say this: you cannot get any worse than what you are right now... by going to a counselor you might help yourself (actually you WILL help yourself) and if your worries and other symptons are not letting you live the way you used to live, then I think it is worth it talking with someone...

Hope it helps, I always tend to blah...
Let us know how you're doing

Take care,

SOL

Old 04-30-2004, 06:25 AM   #6

Portia26 HB User

Hey Shybunny.
I just wrote a really long post to you but the damn comp erased it! In essence, I said this: do NOT be too quick to get on meds. Your problems sound like they come directly from life stresses. Get the book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. You can nip this in the bud without meds. You are still early on with your symptoms, so give it a shot. Talk to someone, but don't just go to the doc, get a prescription, and leave it at that. I really think meds should be kept for extreme circumstances, which I don't think you yet have. I am on meds, but I was severely depressed and have OCD (albeit not suicidal, just totally non-functional... you don't need to be suicidal to need meds). See a therapist first and foremost if you can. In any case, get that book! I really think just that book is all you need at this point. Be sure to read it from cover to cover, intro and all. It is long, but a godsens. Don't become a part of this over medicated society! But also, if things get too tough, don't feel bad if you DO need meds... I just think all other options should be examined before it gets to that point. Best of luck Shy Bunny!

Portia

Old 04-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #7

Shy Bunny HB User

Hi All,
Thanks so much again for the responses, I am in higher spirits now, it's always so nice to see that someone wrote back.

Sol: I'm glad to know that there are many worriers out there, like me. It's strange because in my head, I KNOW that I'm worrying too much, but I cant stop it, and the nerves in my head seem to be on the edge all the time... I agree with you, opening up to a stranger is not a fun idea for me -it's hard enough to bring it up to my boyfriend how I am feeling.

Portia: Thank you for your recommendation. The next time I get to the bookstore, I'll be sure to have that title on hand. I agree with you that I shouldnt just jump into medication. I doubt that my situation is anything close to being bad as some people experiencing hard times. I've been blessed to have support from not only my boyfriend, family, friends, and teachers, but also you guys! I was just wondering how the meds work... I cant imagine not having to worry as much anymore -HOW does that WORK??!!

I wasnt able to get up this morning from bed until pretty late in the afternoon. I missed my classes yet again, and now I feel guiltier by the day for skipping classes. Last time I went on-campus I didnt have the courage to go into class so I roamed around and sat on a staircase watching people pass by for a while. How strange. And then I just went back home.
My boyfriend took me out for a drive to just spend time together. That was very nice. Thought I'd share.
Again, thank you guys so much for your comments.

Shy Bunny

Closed Thread