It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #1

dolphinboy HB User
Lexapro and dizziness...what can I do? Please help.

I began to feel Nauseous and Dizzy as the night progressed from the low dose of Lexapro. Not good signs at all unless I can get some help with the side effects.

I don't know if there is anything that can be done for the spinning/dizziness, but I wanted to ask here if there was anything people have used effectively for it?

I'm going to call my dr's office in about an hour to tell him of these problems and I'm sure he'll call in something for my stomach, but I thought if I got some tips on what to ask for, for the dizziness, that he might be more likely to not just tell me to hang in there with it and, instead, if there is something, maybe call that in too.

I am having other side effects which I wasn't having yesterday, I'm feeling flushed/hot, dry mouth, aching around the eyes, and I woke up early even though I still felt tired, but none of those problems can't be dealt with by me.

The nauseous feeling has to be treated and the dizziness (spinning feeling) too, if possible.

Anyone know what I should ask for?

Thanks.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-06-2004 at 12:32 PM.

Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Lexapro and dizziness...what can I do? Please help.

How long have you been on it? I tried it for 3 weeks & had every side effect listed for it. I had to go off it, the nausea just got worse & worse, I was so sick from it, it ws not worth it anymore to keep trying. You may not be able to tolerate it & may need a different med. Some people do great on it & others do horrible, like me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User

HI there,

Have you been on the AD for long? You have to give it a few weeks for side effects to wear off sometimes. I know it's unpleasant however, the less drugs you have to be on the better! Don't be too hasty about taking more drugs - just give it a little time and see if it will go away by itself.

But obviously, I don't know how long you've been on the drug for. Just be careful. There ARE a lot of doctors out there that over medicate people when it's not necessary at all!

All the best,
Ashlee

Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #4

dolphinboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlee
HI there,

Have you been on the AD for long? You have to give it a few weeks for side effects to wear off sometimes. I know it's unpleasant however, the less drugs you have to be on the better! Don't be too hasty about taking more drugs - just give it a little time and see if it will go away by itself.

But obviously, I don't know how long you've been on the drug for. Just be careful. There ARE a lot of doctors out there that over medicate people when it's not necessary at all!

All the best,
Ashlee
Thanks Ashlee.

My doctor prescribed phenergan and it helped. I take some in the morning and in the evening each day.

Today is the 7th day of being on the 2.5 dose of Lexapro and I will go to 5mg tomorrow. I hadn't been able to stay on any anti-depressant for longer than 2 days since 1991, so this could be the beginning of a big change for me.

I will stay on the 5mg for a week and then go to 7.5 for a week and, hopefully, I'll make it to 10mg by the end of the month.

The dizziness is pretty much gone. I have some really weird pain in my head, sometimes around my eye sockets. I couldn't even explain the pain. It's strange, but it's not too bad. The all-around stomach problems have gotten better but still can be awful. But I had really bad IBS before the meds, so unless it gets worse I can handle it. The nausea is not so bad anymore, so, it seems like I'm good to go for now.

The first few days were awful, but it changed quickly. I really hope I'm able to have similar experiences as I move up the doses tomorrow.

Again, thank you for telling me to hang in. That's what I'm trying to do. I have to give it my all, because I don't know if I have another choice. This seems like my last chance at getting help from meds.

I'm hopeful that all will go well. Only time will tell.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User

Hi again.

Glad to hear you're not suffering so bad anymore from all those side effects! Trust me I know how unpleasent they can be!

Yes, definately hang in there. Hopefully this is the right anti depressant for you, and if not, there's still other things to try. Don't give up okay? Have you considered therapy? I know not everyone's big on the idea (I sure wasn't!) but it's really helped some people!

Good luck with increasing the dose too - I hope it goes smoothly enough.

Take care!
Ashlee

Last edited by Ashlee; 05-12-2004 at 01:42 AM.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I'm glad you're feeling better.
When I was having Paxil withdrawal, going for walks helped more than anything. It feels like you can't keep your balance well enough to go for walks, but really you can.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #7

dolphinboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlee
Hi again.

Glad to hear you're not suffering so bad anymore from all those side effects! Trust me I know how unpleasent they can be!

Yes, definately hang in there. Hopefully this is the right anti depressant for you, and if not, there's still other things to try. Don't give up okay? Have you considered therapy? I know not everyone's big on the idea (I sure wasn't!) but it's really helped some people!

Good luck with increasing the dose too - I hope it goes smoothly enough.

Take care!
Ashlee
Ashlee

Today, in about 2 hours, I will be taking my first 5 mg dose...up from the 2.5mg.

I have been so concerned with the dizziness and stomach problems and they've gotten better, but now I'm reading about the excessive tired feeling. I have that (big time) and while I was tired because of the depression, that usually made it hard for me to fall asleep and to wake up. But now I'm sleepy during the day and taking phenegran for the side effects probably makes it worse.

It's so difficult trying to deal with all of this and, at the same time, waiting to be happy. Whatever that means.

I can't afford therapy. And if this works and I'm able to get out and do things like normal people do, I'd want to get involved with the kind of jobs I've always dreamed of having and not dwell on my "horrible" life. I have dreamed for the past 4 years of doing certain things with the rest of my life and if I can get well, like many others on Lexapro seem to have been able to do, I'd be desperate to try and find a way to get the kind of jobs and life I've only been able to pray for the chance to get. That would become my next mission and I'd need help, lots of time to work at it, and I'd still need some luck.

Yes, it would be nice to have therapy right now, but there is simply no way I can get it.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #8

matzu HB User

i started taking 10mg immediately and the first two weeks i was sick to my stomach, dizzy, tired, completely out of it emotionally, had dry mouth and was depressed. after about two weeks it all went away. now i'm just tired all the time. i toughed it out and it worked. not sure if that will work for you but you may want to give it some more time and slowly increase your dosage.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
(female)

Mushroomie HB User

Hello,
I have been on Lexapro now sinse Dec 2003, I started out on 10mg and the first 2 weeks were hell, but after that I felt great and I felt that I could even feel better. So I asked my P Doc to let me try 20mg and I have been on that sinse Feb of this year and I didnt have any side effects when I jumped up 10mg so things are great, I do get tired some days but that may be from haveing a bad nights sleep or something like that. I also take 30mg of Remeron for sleep and that works wonderful, I sleep like a baby most nights. Lexapro is great for my anxiety, I recomend it for any one that has really bad anxiety.

Hope this helps
Mushroomie

Old 05-14-2004, 07:33 PM   #10

Roger16 HB User

I talked to a wonderful doctor a few weeks back and he provided me with the key to ending my lexapro withdrawal symptoms. He said that everything I had been experiencing--the vertigo, dizziness, light-headedness, etc.--was likely the result of a fluid imbalance. He asked me if I consumed diuretics (caffeine products, wine, chocolate, etc.), especially those that are also stimulants (caffeinated coffee, tea, soda), on a regular basis. I said, "yes, all the time." And he explained that all of those things lead to a fluid imbalance in the body, which includes the brain!, and that such a fluid imbalance is likely responsible for the feelings of dizziness, almost passing out (especially when I first get up from lying down). He told me to cut these products out of my diet as much as possible, hydrate my body with water and other good fluids, and that the symptoms should improve. I have to admit that I was skeptical. What he said made sense, but it sounded too simple. "You mean," I said to myself, "I don't have to take some other drug, or spend a lot of money--all I have to do is drink more water and cut out caffeinated coffee, tea, wine, and chocolate." Well, I quit them all "cold turkey" and I was amazed to find that in only a couple of days I was back to my old self. It's been a little more than 3 weeks, and the old symptoms--the feeling like crap, the vertigo, the dizziness, etc.--have not returned. And then I started to think--about how all of these products were ways that I used to pick myself up in the morning and throughout the day. Caffeine and lexapro were doing a number on me; but now it's all over! I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't tried coffee and the other products here and there--I have, but I have seriosuly limited my intake and I only take them when I absolutely have to. So, I just thought I'd pass this wonderful news and true medical wisdom on to the rest of you, and I really hope it helps. I haven't experienced Paxil withdrawal, which everyone tells me is much worse, but maybe the same sort of thing is going on. By the way the doctor was a regular M.D., not a naturalist or homeopath, which is truly amazing: he was actually more concerned about my health than about pumping me with more drugs and getting richer.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Whenever I increased my Lexapro I'd have dizzy spells for a day or so but they passed. As someone mentioned on another thread, caffiene and other diuretics will make it worse.

Closed Thread