It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 08:20 AM   #1

needmylifeback HB User
Wellbutrin cause loss of appetite???

I started Wellbutrin xl 150mg last Thursday. I began taking it in the afternoon because I wanted to take it as soon as I got home from the dr. I am also on 150mg of Effexor xr. I didn't notice any change in appetite until yesterday. I began taking both of the meds in the morning yesterday. I didn't realize until I was in bed last night that I hadn't eaten anything ALL day yesterday. (it was a very busy, hectic day) This morning I've taken the meds again and still have no appetite at all. This is VERY unlike me. I'm usually a stress eater and am overweight so this would be a great side effect for me to have. Hoping it helps with the depression/energy too. I already have been a little more take charge of my life on it. I am to go up to 300mg of Wellbutrin xl after one more week on the 150mg. Hoping for good things, have heard this is a good med combo. The no appetite could be a great thing for me as well. Anyone heard of this?

I wish you all the best, I know how terribly hard it is dealing with clinical depression.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Re: Wellbutrin cause loss of appetite???

Gosh, I WISH TO GOD THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN TO ME! Just got on the scale and I gained another 5 lbs. Now I am 50 lbs. overweight.

I am on Wellbutrin XL and am coming off Lexapro. The Lexapro is what put the weight on me. I have weaned myself down to .5 mg. and hopefully will be able to continue for 10 weeks until I'm off all together. I'm just afraid I need the Lexapro too much and may not be able to get off of it.

Anyway I haven't noticed ANY loss of appetite from the W. XL.
You are lucky. I sure could use some help. I feel gross and disgusting--like a beached whale and nothing fits!

Salty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #3

needmylifeback HB User

Oh Salty, I wish I was only 50 pounds overweight! But hang in there, maybe it will happen for you too. I've been on it 8 or 9 days now. How long have you been taking it?

Old 05-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi. I've been taking it for 2 months. I just exercised for the first time in a long time (it was hard as heck). I guess that's the only thing that's going to help me.

I truly can't take the extra pounds anymore. I'm embarrassed to be seen.

Salty

Old 05-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
(female)

quinnersmom HB User

I have been on it for about 4 weeks now. Teh first couple weeks I could barely eat. I think my appetite is back. I have been pigging out for the past few days ( cycle on her way) Hopefully it will slow down after that.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #6

sourgirl29 HB User

Wellbutrin is well known for causing jitteriness and weight loss due to it's "speedy" elements. But like other drugs, the side-effects wear off as your body adapts. But as it's been said before, "Everyone is different". You are supposed to gain tons of weight on Zoloft and I haven't gained a pound in 8 months. Now they switched me to Paxil CR and I am SO SCARED! Last time I was on Paxil (regular Paxil), I gained 60 lbs. in less than a year. I wish I could take Wellbutrin, but since I am a suicidal person, they won't allow me to take something that I can OD on. Good luck and remember, what's important is your well-being and your recovery from depression...I am told thin or fat, I won't look good dead or in a psych ward. Harsh, but true.

Last edited by sourgirl29; 05-25-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #7

destilane HB User

There were many days when I started taking wellbutrin that I would realize that I had not eaten anything. I haven't done it lately so I think maybe I'm past that but now I will feel hungry but I can't stand to eat anything. I'll even find something that looks really good and when I start cooking it I can't stand the smell so I give it to someone else. I've learned to force feed myself a little because otherwise I'd go days without eating anything.
I don't see it as that much of a problem because I need to lose 150lbs. My weight is one of the major causes of my depression. I also have social ad and the wellbutrin helps a lot with that too. I haven't lost a lot so far mainly because what does look good to me is ice cream or candy bars. It's kind of odd because I was never really into those very much. I've started weight watchers today so I'm being told what to eat at least so I think that will help. If I'm not enjoying eating I may as well eat diet food and make the most of it right?

Good Luck Everybody.
Shannon

Old 05-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #8

needmylifeback HB User

Shannon, I am the same way. I have a horrible time with social settings anymore, but I think I am already doing better on the wellbutrin. I need to lose 100 pounds myself so it's a side effect I can live with! Best of luck to you all.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

angeleyesinga HB User

I was on Zoloft for about 2 months and gained 20 pounds, and I was already overweight. I was worried about it in the beginning. The zoloft helped with the depression but didn't last for long, the side effects were awful. I had no energy, no ambition, no nothing! Went back to the Dr and he changed me to Wellbutrin xl last week. I noticed an instant change, I had a new burst of energy and I feel like myself again. The first few days I wasn't hungry but that goes away eventually, I think. My appetite has subsided some but due to aunt flo I can't tell much. I'm hoping it will do what the Dr told me, not make me gain weight and help with the anxiety and depression. I am happy so far because I am not exhausted 24-7 and actually wanting SEX lol Let's all keep in touch, I would love to talk with others that are on w-xl too. I have heard allot of good things about it and I am having success so far. Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #10

needmylifeback HB User

That is great angeleyes. I have noticed a difference too, unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy it because I have so much on me now. But I am able to handle it where before I'd never have made it. I have had to take care of the house and 7 people on my own for the last few weeks, something I am NOT used to doing. I don't know how I am doing it, it has to has something to do with the w xl. I say we keep in touch too! Good luck!

Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #11

needmylifeback HB User

That is great angeleyes. I have noticed a difference too, unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy it because I have so much on me now. But I am able to handle it where before I'd never have made it. I have had to take care of the house and 7 people on my own for the last few weeks, something I am NOT used to doing. I don't know how I am doing it, it has to has something to do with the w xl. I say we keep in touch too! Good luck!

Old 06-19-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Any of you who are still on Wellbutrin XL for an extended period of time----
do you still experience the loss of appetite?

You haven't experienced weight GAIN, have you?

Thanks,

Salty

Old 06-20-2004, 07:20 AM   #13

needmylifeback HB User

Hi Salty, I've only been on it for 6 or 7 weeks now and it seems the loss of appetite is still present, maybe not quite as much but there none the less. I've lost 13 pounds since I started taking it. I'd like it to keep on of course!

Old 06-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Hi,
I have been on Wellburtin XL since January....I did notice in the begining my hunger went a way but as soon as my body got use to this drug i went right back to eating again...I don't really eat during the day any ways but i'm a trerrible eater at night.....Now that i am on the max 450ml daily and on topamax which is also known to be a weight loss drug...I really haven't lost any weight just been able to maintain it and still eat really what i want....If i ate better i probbly would have better successful with loosing weight...So i'm not like shriveling up but it does help me from bingeing when i'm depressed...

Old 06-20-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your replies. I just wish I could do something more to speed up my metabolism.

Salty

Closed Thread