It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #1

chelespiglets HB User
Question Anger after taking Wellbutrin xl 150mg

Hello all,
Just wanted to ask a question. The doctor put me on Wellbutrin xl 150 mg once a day, well just after a couple days everyone noticed that I was mad all the time and cried more. I only took the meds 5 days and got off. I called the doctor to talk to him about this, but he never called me back.

Has anyone had this happen to them?
Did you become more angry after taking this medican?
I did not think Wellbutrin xl could make someone so mad and hatefull. I just did not feel right on it at all.

Any advice or suggestions on why this happened....

Thanks Chele;

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #2

lme HB User
Re: Anger after taking Wellbutrin xl 150mg

I was just on Wellbutrin xl 150mg for 2 weeks. I was very irratable, angry, and short tempered on the medicine. At first I thought it was just b/c I was sleep deprived. I only slept about 2-3 hours a night on it (and I took it at 7am!) my bf noticed and kept telling me something was a little off but that just got me angry!

I went back to the doctor after 2 weeks and described what I was feeling. He said that although Wellbutrin is great for depression if you have any anxiety it just irritates it and it is a side effect that would never go away.

I was so angry at the dr b/c I felt that if he talked to me for more than 20 minutes for my first appt w/ him he would have detected that I had some anxiety.

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #3

chelespiglets HB User

thanks ime,

are you on anything now?
hope your doing better
bye chele

Old 05-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #4

lme HB User

no meds. I tried prozac & zoloft years ago but never made it past the 1st few weeks, the side affects were unbareable.

this last attempt at meds was from a push from my psychologist (who I see weekly and absolutely adore) but the Psychiatrist I went to for the meds barely wanted to learn my name.

after the 2 weeks of Wellbutrin, he gave me Lexapro. I only made it one night. it was the worst night I ever had!!

I went back to my good dr and said if I survived the last 2 weeks then I can survive depression. the meds were a worse hell.

I found these boards last week, I felt like I had to take the depression in my own hands and deal with it head on. I have found comfort in learning that I am not alone. I feel like I could have written some of the posts I read and I have received good advice while veiwing them.

take care.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I had the exact same reation to Welbutrin when I took it my itself. When I was alone I wanted to cry all the time, and when I was with other people I was murderously angry. Sometimes I even tried to knock people down in the street and make it look like an accident. It was bad news!

I am fine taking Welbutrin WITH an SSRI, though. You might try that.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #6

CassV HB User

I have been on every known anti-depressant including wellbutrin and with that I do remember having the same symptoms you described. What helped me was a lot of things, none from prescription drugs. I take amino acids because they increase the seritonim and I take St. John's Wort and Kava, Kava. I also take magnesium along with other minerals in solution for the calming effect. Melatonin at night gives me a deeper rest and that helps tremendously with depression. NOne of the prescrition drugs i took helped; they only made me have more problems and worse.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassV
I have been on every known anti-depressant including wellbutrin and with that I do remember having the same symptoms you described. What helped me was a lot of things, none from prescription drugs. I take amino acids because they increase the seritonim and I take St. John's Wort and Kava, Kava. I also take magnesium along with other minerals in solution for the calming effect. Melatonin at night gives me a deeper rest and that helps tremendously with depression. NOne of the prescrition drugs i took helped; they only made me have more problems and worse.
You've actually tried TWENTY-FIVE antidepressants? Whoa. That must have taken years.

The things you mention are all known to be helpful for mild to moderate depression. They won't help for severe depression.

You can't actually increase Serotonin, by the way. You can only affect the way your brain uses it. Your brain always produces the same amount - it's just a question of how much gets passed to the the next cell and how much is reabsorbed by the cell that produced it.

Last edited by Crossbow; 05-28-2004 at 12:56 PM.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:10 PM   #8

CassV HB User

Well, it lasted almost eighteen years and it was bad so I don't know if that's funny; sure didn't seem like it to me. As far as severe depression, been there.
Don't have the problem anymore. But I do hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
(female)

sweettart28139 HB User

I tried adding Wellbutrin to my Zoloft to combat the sexual side effects of the Zoloft. It was a nightmare. I was so jittery and nervous. I had to stop taking it after one week.

Old 05-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #10

chelespiglets HB User

Thanks everyone for answering me back. I think I am going to try it alone again without meds. I really hate taken them. Since I stopped taken the Wellbutrin I am not so mad now, so I know that it was the wellbutrin.

Why are you taking Wellbutrin and a SSRI?

I am new to this, but that seems like a lot. I did good on Effexor, but was very scared of the withdrawals when you are on them a long time. I was on them for a few months and it was terrible to get off them. SO that has scared me away from most all the Med.'s.

I have also tried St. Johns Warts and other herb stuff and that just does not do it for me either. I am not sure, but have been thinking about going back on Effexor. But it Scares me to death....

Thanks again for being here for me and helping me understand more.
Blessings Chele'

Old 05-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Taking welbutrin and an SSRI together is pretty common. They offset each other's side effects.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
(male)

BrianKosh HB User

yes.. just because it's a newer drug that people are talking about as being good for them, doesn't mean it's good for you.. I hate ssri's, and even with wellbutrin upto 450xl... i still have major depression issues, anger, bouts of crying... believe it or not, medical science is now admitting that anti-depressants can cause depression and other nasty issues... this doesn't mean u get to stop them, anti-depressants have saved many lives.. there are some issues that occur when going on to them.. (zoloft is famous for issues, they warn u about.. but the doctors usually don't.) as for a doctor that does not call back? be persistant or get a new doctor.. good luck.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #13
(female)

angeleyesinga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKosh
yes.. just because it's a newer drug that people are talking about as being good for them, doesn't mean it's good for you.. I hate ssri's, and even with wellbutrin upto 450xl... i still have major depression issues, anger, bouts of crying... believe it or not, medical science is now admitting that anti-depressants can cause depression and other nasty issues... this doesn't mean u get to stop them, anti-depressants have saved many lives.. there are some issues that occur when going on to them.. (zoloft is famous for issues, they warn u about.. but the doctors usually don't.) as for a doctor that does not call back? be persistant or get a new doctor.. good luck.
I agree Brian, wellbutrin xl has worked for me. I was on zoloft and it made me worse, slowly. My Dr. did not warn be about zoloft or talk to me long enough to explain the side effects, just all the good stuff. So I did some research myself and seen another Dr. who prescribed wellbutrin xl after answering many questions. I was skeptical at first being I am new to all of this, since last nov. Taking wellbutrin was a wonderful change from zoloft. I hope it continues but AD's are known to wear off or lose their effect. Always be persistant and ask many question while you are there, if you feel your questions or condition are not important definately get another Dr. That's what they are there for. Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassV
Your tale is common. Good for you going a more natural route finally. And you are correct, taking amino acids do increase serotonin, in fact, that's where it and other neurotransmitters come from.

Amino Acids are the creators of neurotransmitters, hormones and enzymes. Both the essential and non-essential amino acids are reassembled as hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters (chemical messengers), antibodies and nutrient carriers.

Congratulations for getting the real wellness drugs did not provide you.

Last edited by Jennita; 06-04-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:42 AM   #15
(female)

tigger326 HB User

Just came upon this thread through a Wellbutrin search. Wellbutrin Xl makes me so angry. I am short-tempered with my husband and son. It also gives me hives so I can't take it. It really helped with my compulsive eating, though. I am about 80 pounds overweight so the weight gain side effects of the other drugs are HORRIBLE! I am still looking for something to help...I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Epstein Barr. I'm going to try some natural alternatives such as St. John's Wort and vitamins to see if they help.

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone with the anger and Wellbutrin.

Closed Thread