It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

attheendofmyrope HB User
Question Wellbutrin experiences?

I have just been put on Wellbutrin SR. I did not want to take an antidepressant but I have to. I would like to know what side effects are likely. I asked for Wellbutrin because I was afraid ** sexual side effects and weight gain ** *** o***r antidepressants.

I should mention my depression is extremely severe. I just got out ** *** psychiatric hospital on Wednesday after attempting suicide last weekend. I also have anxiety but *** depression is worse than *** anxiety.

Thanks in advance,
Staci

Old 06-04-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

attheendofmyrope HB User
Re: Wellbutrin experiences?

thats weird...i have no idea why some ** my message got messed up. Maybe a technical glitch??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User

Wellbutrin is supposed to in some cases actually increase your sex drive! I hope it helps your depression and anxiety. I took it for a while and it didn't work for my depression but I didn't have any major side effects - dry eyes, but that wasn't a big deal. Hopefully it will be the right med for you. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #4

sweetums HB User

I'm on the Wellbutrin...400mgs a day...I'm also taking 3mgs of alprazolam a day as well...my sex drive as totally decreased, but for now I don't have any other choice...it's either that or deep depression, in which I still struggle with even with the meds....hope it helps you...

Old 06-05-2004, 04:07 AM   #5

Location: I live in the "Sunny South"..ie: water bugs, too much humidity, too much sand...you name it...but hey, it's home.
violetsrain HB User
Question Re: Wellbutrin experiences?

Goodmorning..this is my very first post and wanted to ask a question. I, too, suffer from depression and anxiety and have for a long time. I am on 40 mg of Prozac a day and Wellbutrin. Recently, I agreed to the generic of Wellbutrin, but am experiencing some changes and I'm not sure if they're from the generic or just the overwhelming stress added to my life. I am more depressed, very angry(and it shows), thoughts of wishing "everything" would just end......I'm calling my doc, but just wondered if you guys had any experience with the generic. thanks

Last edited by violetsrain; 06-05-2004 at 04:10 AM.

Old 06-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
(female)

quinnersmom HB User

I am on Wellbutrinxl. I started out with 150mg then went up tp 300. I wasn;t sleeping on the 300 so I am back on the 150. Now I find that I an extemely tierd all the time, even when I do slepp well. I am going to give a few days then bump back to 300.

The only exoerience I have had is the sleep and a minimal stomache upset. IT has also increased my sex drive.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:48 AM   #7

kaitlyn HB User
Lightbulb Re: Wellbutrin experiences?

Newbie here. My experience with Wellbutrin was not a very pleasant one. **Warning here - take the recommended dosage and don't be an idiot like I was.**

About a year ago, I went to my doctor because I wasn't sleeping well and had some depression. I tried Effexor for a month then Zoloft - I didn't care for the sexual side effects at the time. So then I was prescribed Wellbutrin SR and Ambien for the insomnia. The only difference I noticed was that the Wellbutrin reduced my anxiety and anger and I was able to cope with things - like being in an abusive relationship - but I was still depressed. I was also an alcoholic and I abused alcohol and marijuana. I finally realized that the alcohol was depressing me! So I stopped drinking and smoking - and I left my abusive boyfriend!

A couple months later, I started seeing someone from work. I was going through a rough time dealing with the after-effects of the abuse and other life situations. One day, I missed a couple of doses of Wellbutrin and decided to "double up". It gave me a slight "buzz". Hmmm... reminded me of my pot-smoking days. So I began skipping doses and just taking a few at a time for a quick "high". One night in February, I went overboard and took one too many. My brain was spinning out of control and it would not stop! My boyfriend was in the bedroom reading and heard me crying. He came out and I told him what I've been doing. He reached for the phone to call an ambulance! I told him no, that my head should stop - but it didn't. I got up off the couch and my knees buckled. On that note, he dressed me and half-carried me to the car as I couldn't walk straight. On the way to the emergency room, I experienced mini-seizures. My limbs and head jerked and I was babbling like an idiot. It became increasingly worse. My bf broke laws to get me there and I was immediately rushed into a room. My seizures became worse - both physically and verbally. They gave me a concoction to swallow and flush out the drug. It was some sort of thick charcoal sludge and they were afraid I would spit it out! But at the time, it tasted like sweet dark chocolate and I drank three big cups of it with no problem. Over the course of a few hours, my seizures decreased and I wanted to go home the next day! But they kept me for a couple of days to monitor my heart because I took like a dozen pills over the course of a few hours. They were concerned that I still had more drug in my system because it was the sustained release form - and that I could go into more seizures. I didn't though.

When I returned home, I threw out the rest of the Wellbutrin. I went back to my doctor a few weeks later and told him what happened and asked for another type of anti-depressant. He said it doesn't matter because if I abused them, I could abuse another kind. So he prescribed more Wellbutrin and told me to take them according to the precription.

I did well for a while until I started drinking again. One night in April, I took my Wellbutrin dosage with some wine - then I had more wine. Later on I started babbling like an idiot and I thought it was because I mixed the alcohol with the Wellbutrin. I woke up the next day with a massive hangover and other symptoms that I felt after the overdose. Hmmm... I looked in my Wellbutrin bottle and noticed it was half-empty! I did it again. I flushed the rest of the Wellbutrin AND the Ambien down the toilet and haven't had any since. I finally quit drinking AND I decided to quit my job because my bf and I decided it was best we didn't work together as it was adding to my depression. He's been with the company for 15 years and I was there for less than a year and wasn't going anywhere, so it was the obvious choice. Life still gets me down, but I find other ways to deal with it. I'm a few pounds heavier now, but I feel alot better!

That was the first time I've ever been on anti-depressants. And I'm not sure I ever want to take them again. If I do, certainly not through a family doctor! It's so easy these days to walk into a doctor's office and say "I'm depressed" and ask for some ~magic pills~. That's what happened with me three times with different doctors - and each one prescribed a different anti-depressant.

One other thing - did anyone see recent newspaper articles regarding certain anti-depressants, including Wellbutrin?? They actually make cause some people to be more depressed and/or suicidal. Perhaps that's why I did what I did?

Just wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin. Obviously I was a moron, so don't let it scare you.

Old 06-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #8

Paula57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by attheendofmyrope
I have just been put on Wellbutrin SR. I did not want to take an antidepressant but I have to. I would like to know what side effects are likely. I asked for Wellbutrin because I was afraid ** sexual side effects and weight gain ** *** o***r antidepressants.

I should mention my depression is extremely severe. I just got out ** *** psychiatric hospital on Wednesday after attempting suicide last weekend. I also have anxiety but *** depression is worse than *** anxiety.

Thanks in advance,
Staci
Wellbutrin doesn't generally have the sexual side effects or weight gain associated with SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft, etc.). You should always take it in the morning because it can be a little stimulating, whereas other AD's are often a little sedating. If you find it upsets your stomach, it's fine to take it with food or milk. No one who's depressed needs to be drinking alcolhol, since it is a depressant itself and can enhance or interfere with how your AD works.

Wellbutrin should help you feel more motivated and when you do things you will probably find them more rewarding and enjoyable. However, it doesn't really work on anxiety, and if that continues to be a problem, but sure and let your doctor know. You may need something in addition to the Wellbutrin for the anxiety.

If the Wellbutrin doesn't seem to be working for the depression, be sure and let your doctor know. I wouldn't let worries about sexual side effects or weight gain keep you from trying a different anti-depressant. Treating the depression is the most important thing. Dead people don't have sex drives either.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:04 AM   #9

Bienkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetsrain
Goodmorning..this is my very first post and wanted to ask a question. I, too, suffer from depression and anxiety and have for a long time. I am on 40 mg of Prozac a day and Wellbutrin. Recently, I agreed to the generic of Wellbutrin, but am experiencing some changes and I'm not sure if they're from the generic or just the overwhelming stress added to my life. I am more depressed, very angry(and it shows), thoughts of wishing "everything" would just end......I'm calling my doc, but just wondered if you guys had any experience with the generic. thanks
Hi violetsrain

I have been switched to the generic also of wellbutrin and I'm noticing a big difference as well. I feel depressed and think I'm gaining weight. Did you gain weight on the generic? How are you doing now?

Old 08-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
(female)

unruhe HB User

violetsrain and bienkie,

I hated the generic. It took me a few months to figure out that it was causing me to gain weight (or water weight). There were rather large fluctuations in my weight from day to day - 153 one day, 159 the next. And I'd weigh myself at the same time of day - mid morning.

I was also moodier than when I was on SR. It was like...the generic wasn't strong enough, and put on weight.

So, I'm back to SR, even though my copay is more. Been on it for two weeks. Feel better, but I'm really sluggish a few hours after taking it and can't sleep at night either. I don't remember if I had these side effects the first time.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #11

tulip75 HB User

I took 150mg, and I did not have a decreased sex drive like with other meds. I did feel like a zombie, though, and I had that yawn/nausea thing going. No weight gain.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #12

daisy99 HB User
Talking Re: Wellbutrin experiences?

]Hi I have never been on one of these forums. For the most part, I am in the same boat as everyone here. It's nice to be able to read this and feel like people do feel the same way I do. It started when I was pregnant with my son in 1999. Thought I was having a heart attack a work. At the hospital they said I had a panic attack. I argued with them gave me a xanax and I was fine. Didn't know I was Pregnant at that time. Told me I should see a doctor. Well then I found out my doctor told me pregnancy sometimes causes anxiety problems and usually go away after birth. I fought the whole 9months back and forth to the hospital I always thought I was having a heart attack maybe this time it really is. 2 months after my son was born I went to see a psychiatrist. Diagnosed bi-polar, severe depression, panic disorder. I have been unfortunately on all the medications. I was on xanax 1mg 4 times a day and always trying diffrent antidepressants, usually they either didn't work for me or I had side effects, I hated dry mouth, feeling sleepy etc. The worst of all was when my doctor tried my on prozac, it was about a month taking my xanax, prozac, and effexor. I didn't like the way it made me feel, worse than I already felt. I stopped taking it ended up in the hospital for 5 days for suicide attempt. I won't get into details on what I did. But when I was in there in felt so comfortable maybe b/c it was because I felt safe away from my problems with people like me, I don't know your locked in but I did feel sooo safe. Well for the last 5 years I have been on soo many medications nothing ever made me feel normal or take my panic attacks away. I couldn't understand I would b on 4 sometimes 5 meds at once, and just feel out of it. that wasn't helping. I have always stayed with effexxor I believe that one helps some. This past May changed my life. I have been battling depression, anxiety, weight problems.(Never lost the weight from when I was pregnant, But I didn't think it bothered.) In May I went to my doctor said he had to take me off of xanax because I have been on it so long and I'm taking 5 a day instead of 4 and he said that was to high of a dose. He switched me to Klonipin 1mg. Said it would be alot stronger for me. I didn't like the idea but I had no choice. At that point I asked him if he could prescribe me something to help me loose some weight. He said he couldn't because they are full of ephedra and would make my panic attacks worse. In my head I was thinking how could they get worse I'm on med's and still get them and fight them. He said that I could put you on wellbutrin, I said that will help stop smoking. He said yes and also helps with weight loss. I had never heard of it helping you lose weight. I started taking it twice daily along with 150 mg effexor at night and klonopin 3 times a day. with in a week I felt great. I had energy, more confidence in myself. And started to loose weight. It was kinda strange though once I started taking it, the thought of food made me feel sick, I didn't want to eat. The smell, everything. I had problems eating so my boyfriend said at least eat salads and veggies. So that's what I've been doing. I think psychollogically I was loosing weight and didn't want to gain it back. With in the first month I went from a 196lbs being 5'6 to 180, the next month I was a 165lb''s and now today I can get on the scale and weigh the same amount I did in high school 158 lb's. I can't believe it, I went from a size 16 to a size 8 or 9. Depends on the brand of clothing. It's crazzy. I would never come off of wellbutrin it has gave me my life back!!!!!!! I know every medication is diffrent with everyone. But I stand firm that wellbutrin will change your life. With out you even realizing it. Than you'll start noticing a few weeks later. when you have more energy, social life, loosing weight!! My panic attacks I haven't had one at all since I started wellbutrin. It makes me so happy. I finally found something that works great in a combination for me, to help me feel normal again. I hope all of you out there find the right one for you. It takes time if it doesn't work change it. I have come to realize in the past 3 weeks being on it for about 4 months my sex life has decreased. Some may have a problem with that, but I will deal with that I AM JUST HAPPY TO HAVE MY LIFE BACK.

Last edited by daisy99; 08-26-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #13

daisy99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetsrain
I don't think the cause is because it's generic. You can read my life story on here I just listed a new thread. There has been talk that prozac may not be helping as much as the doctors once thought. I would ask your doctor to change it maybe to effexor at night. It makes me tired so I take it b4 bed. Again everyone is diffrent and react diffrently to medications but WELLBUTRIN CHANGED MY LIFE.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #14

daisy99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula57
Wellbutrin doesn't generally have the sexual side effects or weight gain associated with SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft, etc.). You should always take it in the morning because it can be a little stimulating, whereas other AD's are often a little sedating. If you find it upsets your stomach, it's fine to take it with food or milk. No one who's depressed needs to be drinking alcolhol, since it is a depressant itself and can enhance or interfere with how your AD works.

Wellbutrin should help you feel more motivated and when you do things you will probably find them more rewarding and enjoyable. However, it doesn't really work on anxiety, and if that continues to be a problem, but sure and let your doctor know. You may need something in addition to the Wellbutrin for the anxiety.

If the Wellbutrin doesn't seem to be working for the depression, be sure and let your doctor know. I wouldn't let worries about sexual side effects or weight gain keep you from trying a different anti-depressant. Treating the depression is the most important thing. Dead people don't have sex drives either.
I totally agree with you. I have always tried to anti-depressants over the last 5 years til I found MY LIFESAVER Wellbutrin. Yeas it took my sex drive away, does it bother before yes it would have Now no because I feel great like I use to feel. I'd rather loose my sex drive than feel disoriented when I walk around dizzy going into wal-mart because my anxiety is bothering me driving down the road feeling as though I'm having a heart attack pulling over legs arms numb getting rush to the hospital Again JUST TO HEAR HUNNY YOUR JUST HAVING A PANIC ATTACK, maybe your doctor should adjust your med's. No it probably doesn't help with my anxiety but with the klonopin I take it's probably a good choice together. Because I feel Great!! And I hope you will soon too. It took me a long time to get here but I did and I owe it all to that little pill and my doc.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Paula57, I have to take my Wellbutrin SR at night because my dr. prescribed 1 pill, twice daily.

Salty

Closed Thread