It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 02:19 AM  

Bienkie HB User
Wellbutrin Generic - Does it cause Weight Gain?

I've been on Wellbutrin SR for 2 years and was recently switched to the generic. I have notice weight gain and depresive mood. Could this be my imagination or has anyone else experienced a difference in using the generic (bupropion).

Any info will help! Thank you so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 PM  

Danielle895 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin Generic - Does it cause Weight Gain?

I've gained 10 lbs the past 2 months, and now I'm even more depressed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 07:55 PM  

Bienkie HB User

I just spoke to my pdoc and he said that there can be slight differences between wellbutrin and the generic. I am defenitaly feeling MORE depressed and I'm gaining weight!!!

Old 09-04-2004, 12:51 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Oh God, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THIS! I just got off Lexapro for weight gain and have switched to Wellb. SR generic.

Salty

Old 09-04-2004, 01:30 PM  

Bienkie HB User

some people loose weight - hopefully you'll be one of them!

Old 09-04-2004, 02:08 PM  
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

I took wellbutrin sr in 2001 and it worked well for me while I was on it. I am once again having depression so I was put on the genaric form of wellutrin sr. I have been on this going on 2 weeks and I have to say that it does not seem to have the kick that the name brand had. So far however, I have not gained weight. I hope I don't either. How much are you all taking if I may ask?
DBW

Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM  
(female)

unruhe HB User

I was on SR which worked very well. Then the pharmacy gave me the generic and in a matter of months, I gained 10 pounds and felt more irritable.

Switching back to SR (even though my co-pay is now higher b/c it is a brand name), I've started losing weight and feeling better.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 PM  
(male)

DjTiesto HB User

I have a question. How does it make you gain weight, does it make you feel hungry or what? I barely started taking Zoloft today from the sample packs my doctor gave me for a month and dont want to gain any more wieght, since Im trying to loose wieght so I can feel better and more healthy.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 AM  
(female)

unruhe HB User

DjTiesto,

I didn't notice any unusual hunger. (Actually, now that I'm back on SR, I have to eat more regularly or I start feeling nauseous and dizzy if I don't eat - maybe it increases metabolism?) I noticed a steady gain and I think a lot of it was water weight. (I'd have weight fluctuations of 153 one day, 159 the next - and I'd weigh myself in the morning).

I didn't have weight gain with Zoloft. Though it had a curious side effect on me - my genitals felt "numb" and I couldn't climax until after I was off. Nice, huh?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:23 PM  

Confused11 HB User

I have been on Buprion SR (generic Wellbutrin) for about a week and a half now and I will vouch for the depression at first, it does seem to be lifting a bit now that I am taking two pills a day now. I'm wondering when it will kick in fully. Also, I lost five lbs. since starting the new medication and I don't crave food as much as I used to.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:04 AM  

PorqueChop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
Oh God, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THIS! I just got off Lexapro for weight gain and have switched to Wellb. SR generic.
Salty
I just posted this on another topic and I cut and paste. Be optimistic!

Hi, I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin. I take the generic, Buproprion 150 MG SR. I didn't even know I was depressed, quite frankly. Since starting these meds (I asked for diet pills but my Dr insisted I try this first), I have lost 11 pounds in one month.

I was binging out of control for over a year and the day I started Wellbutrin just over a month ago it stopped. Cold turkey. For the first time in ages I can stay awake in the morning. I have been taking two brisk walks a day, more than three miles most days.

My dr's nurse practitioner tried to prescribe something else but when I pressed the weight gain issue she came back with Wellbutrin as an option.

I still feel hunger but it isn't ruling my life. I feel like a new woman.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:46 PM  

Bellagirl217 HB User

Hi there.
I've been on Zoloft for the past 4 years or so, before that I was on Paxil. In three years I have managed to gain 50lbs. I'm currently in transition of my medication and I'm starting Wellbutrin next week. I basically came here for input on this medication and if it will help me to drop weight. I guess like other meds the side affects can go either way.

All of the people that I have encountered who were on the meds that I was on said they gained weight and when they went on Wellbutrin they said the had lost a big amount.

Has anyone gained weight from the others meds I have metioned?

Bellagirl217

Old 12-05-2004, 03:44 AM  

heidianne HB User

i AM GOING ON TWO AND HALF MONTHS AND GAINNEED 15 MAYBE 20 POUNDS...... Which has openned up a whole new hell. see i just had a baby 4 months ago, and havent lost any weight yet so to gain another 20 pounds that can cause a sane women to do DRUGS
heidi

Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 AM  
(male)

CtRich HB User

I am on 20mg of lexapro since May of 2004 and have gained 30+ pounds! (plus sexual side effects)
I am seeing my dr. tomorrow and am going to ask for Wellbutrin -non generic.
The makers of Lexapro should be tied up and be force fed cornstarch for a month!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM  
(female)

pepsigirl59 HB User

I have been on Bupiron off and on for 2 months and have noticed my hunger increasing alot. I have noticed my pants are tighter which can cause depression in itself. I noticed you all here have lost weight. I guess its different with everyone. But it helps me sleep better and has helped my depression.
I have never tried the SR of Bupiron. Are they different?