It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #1

oreo2363 HB User
Zoloft vs. Wellbrutrin

I have been on zoloft for about 2 .5 years. It has really helped me with my depression and anxiety, panic. I have gained weight though....My dr. said I could switch to Wellbrutrin...what has your experience been? I understand Zoloft is an SSR but Wellbrutrin isn't.I wonder how that will affect me.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:16 AM   #2

oreo2363 HB User
Re: Zoloft vs. Wellbrutrin

Have you had better expericence with Wellbrutrin after being on Zoloft??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 08:15 AM   #3

atmont1977 HB User

Ive been on both Zoloft and Wellbutrin. Zoloft worked wonders for my anxiety and depression a few years ago. I then switched to paxil cuz i had to change pdocs and this one preferred paxil. The paxil also worked well. All of the serotonin specific drugs work well for panic and anxiety with the exception of prozac cuz i think it might be just to activating.

Anyway, my pdoc decided to put me on wellbutrin along with the paxil to help me lose some weight and improve my sexual dysfunction. The wellbutrin turned me into a nervous reck. I was on it for a few weeks and then i had to give it up. Wellbutrin is not a serotonin type drug. It is believed to work by increasing levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. It might be effective for your depression but it is not helpful for anxiety disorders and in my opinion, can just make matters worse. I dont mind gaining a few pounds if the ssri's can help with my panic and depression which was debilitating for me. If you decide to stick with the zoloft, try exercising a bit more and watch your diet. Doing this will also help with your depression and anxiety also.

Good luck, i hope i helped a bit

Old 09-07-2004, 04:20 PM   #4

oreo2363 HB User

yes that helps. I know everyone is different. My depression is mild, but enough to interfere with everyday life. Zoloft has worked well, and I probably shouldn't mess with something that works. My doctor suggested trying the wellbrutrin because of my weight gain. I think I'm going to give it a try. One of my symptons is irriability. Is that more related to anxiety?
thanks for the advice. It's really nice and informative to talk to people that actually KNOW how you feel rather than the MD.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #5

sensibleshoes HB User

Most docs I am aware of don't use Wellbutrin alone. It's usually added to a SSRI to combat the sexual side effects, and to increase energy in general.

I was on Zoloft for 12 years (and did NOT realize how numb I was becoming emotionally) and mixing Wellbutrin with it did absolutely nothing to fix the problems they were shooting to fix.

However, last year I changed to Effexor after I decided I didn't want to feel dead inside anymore. They've added wellbutrin to that now, and it DOES work.

There isn't a single solution for everybody - all body chemistry reacts differently to these drugs, and what works for somebody else may not work for you in the same way.

I hate the idea that we're guinea pigs for the psychatric field, but it's really true.

Closed Thread