It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 11:39 PM   #1

sad_blue_eyes HB User
Question Can Zoloft Affect Sleep?

Hello all.

I'm new here. I apologize if someone has already asked this question in a previous post, but I was wondering if Zoloft can affect your sleeping patterns.

My doctor recently put me on Zoloft and I seem to be having a real hard time getting to sleep lately. And when I finally do fall asleep, I end up waking up (approx. 4) hours later, only to find that I can't get back to sleep again.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on or have any suggestions what I should? Should I stop taking Zoloft altogether, or take it only during the day, or take it only at night?

Old 09-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #2

cabolash HB User
Re: Can Zoloft Affect Sleep?

sad blue eyes,

Hi, welcome to the forum. Your doctor would probably say to try it with a smaller dosage, but you should really call him/her and explain your symptoms to get a reccomendation. I know in some instances it is not reccomended to stop the dosage suddenly. Perhaps the medication is upsetting your hormone balance and your doctor will prescribe some hormone capsules such as they give to older people to alleviate the symptoms. All I know is that this seems to be essential for my mother.

Best

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

hi and welcome to the boards!

i was on zoloft for about 3 months and while i was on it i had a terrible time trying to sleep. at first, i experienced what you did; i had a hard time falling asleep and then once i was asleep, i woke up every few hours and had a hard time falling back asleep. then, it changed and i had difficulty falling asleep altogether. i wouldn't be able to fall aleep till about 3 or 4 in the morning, and then i'd only be able to sleep (straight through) till about 7 or so. it was horrible because i was tired all the time and i never felt rested because i never got to REM sleep. talk to your doctor, maybe s/he will change the dosage you are on (i was on 150mg a day) or change your medication altogether. i'm currently on 75 mg of effexor xr and it's doing wonders for me. i wish you the best of luck, keep posting and let us know how you're doing!

~mer

Old 09-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #4

atmont1977 HB User

All of the ssri meds like zoloft can cause insomnia initially until your body adjusts to the drug. Occassionally the the symptom persists. I have a few recommendations that maybe you can discuss with your doctor.

Try taking the zoloft in one single daily dose as soon as you wake up in the morning. By the time you go to sleep at night, the drug should have weared off some and you might be able to fall asleep through the night.

If your still having a problem there are many sleeping medications that you can use at night to help you fall asleep. Some may be more addicting then others. Two examples of less addicting drugs are Elavil (a tricyclic antidepressant) and Trazadone (an antidepressant that doesnt fit into a particular category of antidepressants). Also an aniti-histamine drug called vistoral works well. Lastly, there are benzodiazepine hypnotics (like restoril) and non benzodiazepine hypnotics (like ambien). As far as addiction goes, you can successfully wean yourself off any of these medications under the guidance of your doctor so dont worry.

Ofcourse the only other option i can think of, is to reduce your daily zoloft dose or try another ssri that might not be as activating (such as paxil or luvox). If that fails, you can try a tricyclic anidepressant or remeron.

hope i helped a bit, good luck

Old 09-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #5

Sandalla HB UserSandalla HB User

You don't say why you went on the Zoloft in the first place and how badly you felt you needed it.

BUT ... if you're asking whether one of your options is to quit it altogether and you really feel that this is an option for you ... then I say, YES, YES, YES!!! Quit it now and RUN!!!

As a well-wisher and someone who has had nothing but major aggravation with these SSRI's, my well-meaning advice to you is to get off this evil roller coaster before you even start! Look for natural, less potentially harmful solutions to your problems, although it may seem like harder work than just popping an "innocent" happy pill! NOT!!!

You're already looking for one way to counteract the insomnia, next you'll be looking for a way to counteract the next side-effect, you'll be given other potent mind altering drugs to add to your mix, and then looking for ways to counteract the side effects of the new drugs ... and on and on and on. You get my point. Soon, you won't know whether you're Arthur or Martha, your brain will be so fried. (I'm still looking for a way to learn how to spell again!!!!)

Be smart!!! Be careful!!! Be good to yourself!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalla
You're already looking for one way to counteract the insomnia, next you'll be looking for a way to counteract the next side-effect, you'll be given other potent mind altering drugs to add to your mix, and then looking for ways to counteract the side effects of the new drugs ... and on and on and on. You get my point. Soon, you won't know whether you're Arthur or Martha, your brain will be so fried. (I'm still looking for a way to learn how to spell again!!!!)

Be smart!!! Be careful!!! Be good to yourself!
I couldn't agree more with what Sandella told you. At one point about two years ago I was on 6 different things (all prescribed by the same doctor) -- each one was to counteract and assist with a side effect of another one. I had to write myself detailed instructions to know when to take what pill.

If you are desperate for sleep, try some Tylenol PM or Bayer Simply Sleep, or some other kind of over the counter help. I still had to take Tylenol PM every night on top of the 6 prescribed medications -- and I didn't have a problem stopping it when I no longer needed it.

Last edited by SOE; 09-07-2004 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kaitrin HB User

It's different for everyone, but in my case, I would wake up at 4 or 5 am every day, and then by early evening I was completely exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open. I couldn't seem to get on a normal sleep schedule again, so eventually I just adjusted. Pretty much the whole time I was on Zoloft (a year and a half) I got up at 4 or 5 and did my exercising and came online for a while before work, and then I went to bed at 8:00 at night. (Now that I'm on Effexor, I have the opposite problem - I'm up until all hours and then can't get out of bed in the morning, but that's another story!)

Closed Thread