It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Trying life without ADs, losing weight gained while on ADs... fighting depression...

Hi everyone

I have been on ADs for 10 years. After 10 months of tapering, I am finally off everything. 17 days AD-free now.

The first few years I was on Prozac and had no complaints. Unfortunately it stopped working for me. From there on out, I went from AD to AD. When I complained of the side effects, the doctor(s) would add on another prescription to deal with side effects. When I reached 6 drugs at one time, and even my counselors and friends were getting concerned, I went to my doctor and told him my fears, my side effects, etc... to which he wanted to add on another drug. When I confronted him about not listening to me, and continuing to want to give me medication against my wishes... he then suggested I might want to try hospitalization and shock therapy. So that's when I fired him, and started tapering.

The last 7 years on ADs, I have gained a total of 80 pounds. Never in my life -- until ADs -- did I have a problem with my weight. Not even remotely.

I'm hoping this thread might be a place where those of us who are going to give life a try without ADs, can come together for support.

I'd like to get this weight off, live my life thin again, and then decide if I can live the rest of my life, with or without depression, without ADs. But between the side effects and the weight gain, it has only added to my depression. So I don't think I will be able to fully decide what's best for me, until I can get this weight off, then I'll be in a better place to re-evaluate.

I already gave up sodas 18 months ago in the hopes that I would lose weight.... now that I am completely off all ADs, my plan (starting noon today) is to give up the rest of refined sugar, white flour, and exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

I am nervous that my "depression" will come back. Even though I believe my depression has always been situational.... it's hard to fight doctors who say I will always have to be on ADs. I think it's a normal fear for me to have at this point.

I would sure appreciate the company of others going through something similar.

Last edited by SOE; 04-28-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #2

wee96 HB User
Re: Trying life without ADs, losing weight gained while on ADs... fighting depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
Hi Sandella Hi everyone

I have been on ADs for 10 years. After 10 months of tapering, I am finally off everything. 17 days AD-free now.

The first few years I was on Prozac and had no complaints. Unfortunately it stopped working for me. From there on out, I went from AD to AD. When I complained of the side effects, the doctor(s) would add on another prescription to deal with side effects. When I reached 6 drugs at one time, and even my counselors and friends were getting concerned, I went to my doctor and told him my fears, my side effects, etc... to which he wanted to add on another drug. When I confronted him about not listening to me, and continuing to want to give me medication against my wishes... he then suggested I might want to try hospitalization and shock therapy. So that's when I fired him, and started tapering.

The last 7 years on ADs, I have gained a total of 80 pounds. Never in my life -- until ADs -- did I have a problem with my weight. Not even remotely.

I'm hoping this thread might be a place where those of us who are going to give life a try without ADs, can come together for support.

I'd like to get this weight off, live my life thin again, and then decide if I can live the rest of my life, with or without depression, without ADs. But between the side effects and the weight gain, it has only added to my depression. So I don't think I will be able to fully decide what's best for me, until I can get this weight off, then I'll be in a better place to re-evaluate.

I already gave up sodas 18 months ago in the hopes that I would lose weight.... now that I am completely off all ADs, my plan (starting noon today) is to give up the rest of refined sugar, white flour, and exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

I am nervous that my "depression" will come back. Even though I believe my depression has always been situational.... it's hard to fight doctors who say I will always have to be on ADs. I think it's a normal fear for me to have at this point.

I would sure appreciate the company of others going through something similar.

I too gained weight from AD's, about 20 or 30lbs. After I went off them I drastically lost weight, almost to the point where it scared me. I drank heavily on the AD's though too, which im sure added to the weight gain, and I stopped after I quit them.

I dont want to make you think itll happen to you or that im saying it will in anyway, im just telling you about me, my depression did come back. About six months or so and it started creeping back up on me, so I went back to taking Lexapro this time (I was on Zoloft for 5 years before). Hope everything works out for you

Old 10-03-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Re: Trying life without ADs, losing weight gained while on ADs... fighting depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee96
I dont want to make you think itll happen to you or that im saying it will in anyway, im just telling you about me, my depression did come back. About six months or so and it started creeping back up on me, so I went back to taking Lexapro this time (I was on Zoloft for 5 years before). Hope everything works out for you
Thanks, I'll take all the encouragement I can get!

Old 10-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #4

sanco1 HB User
Re: Trying life without ADs, losing weight gained while on ADs... fighting depression...

Hi there.. I have been on ad for about 6 years now.. will be vey very interested to hear how u r going in a few months etc etc..
[ removed ]

and Good Luck I admire what u r doing....... pat on back

Last edited by moderator2; 10-12-2004 at 04:48 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 AM   #5

Donna 2854 HB User
Re: Trying life without ADs, losing weight gained while on ADs... fighting depression...

I'll add a few words to your new thread! After being on just about every SSRI except effexxor ( wouldn't EVEN touch that one) I am happy to report I am off of them for the first time since 1988 or so. Its been a month plus a few days now. I still carry a Xanax just in case I get anxiety from dealing with an event or person.
None of the SSRI's ( ie Zoloft, Luvox, Paxil , Prozac, Lexapro , Celexa) seemed to have made any difference except for making me feel fuzzy, detached, sleepy , unmotivated and basically ill. I will wonder if MY depression has always been situational. I took meds to relieve the symptoms . But ended up with a pattern I didn't like.

I think I will always have depression but I am doing my best to think and act my way out of the episodes. It requires great effort though and I am willing to do it to avoid meds and the side effects that go along. I do not want to live in a fuzzy detached state day after day. No one can get me out of this but me . It requires me to take that step to do it. A pill will not work with me. Been there, done that. Me me me. Look how many times I mentioned that word. I had to get away from these thoughts.

Gained about 8 pounds whilst on 20mgsLexapro . I noticed it was the appetite that increased and for a solid month, I ate and ate all the time. Nothing would fill me up and I'd just eat . Then ,I would get sleepy and go to bed. After living like this day after day , I got fed up with the way I was headed so I returned to Celexa . I was still somewhat detached although the appetite problem decreased. Decided I would try life without meds.

So far, so good really. I am better off mentally than I was using the meds. It remains to be seen how I am 6 months from now. If the depression gets to be more than I can handle, I will go back to meds. I must give that effort though to remain med free.
I am very conscious of what I eat ( am also going through menopause) and I do get quite a bit of exercise stocking the retail store. I consider that job a challenge despite not really having to do it for income. . Most people wouldn't want to be this physical . Lousy pay really but the point is to get out of the house, to exercise, to interact with people , and mostly , to force myself into a schedule. Yeah, its tough and I lift alot of heavy things but I am determined I can do this .
I think this job has made a big difference and it keeps the depresssion at bay. I enjoy bantering with customers. It makes me have to think about something else. I intend to keep it until my body says enough of this.

I also know I have a talent for painting which is there whenever I decide I want to do it. Right now, I am fed up trying to compete with cheap imports so I don't feel motivated to produce alot of things. I will though start painting for the holiday season. Look at it more like relaxation rather than income -producing .
So , my thing is trying to work away from the house to stay depression -free and I want to do this without meds. Then use the painting as a relaxation thing when I AM in the house. Just my thoughts written down really. Sorry the post is so long. But I am glad I got to write the thoughts down here on the board. I can go back through the archives and re read if I reach "that point" again.

As far as that weight thing- make it your big goal ( I know you are) but give it the best effort and do not give up . Join a group if you need to . Even a gym to keep you on that schedule. Or if you need a stocking job, I know where you can apply! You won't believe how strong I have become !! And how fast I can move . But it works for me .... an effort rewarded so far.

Last edited by Donna 2854; 10-04-2004 at 01:28 AM.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM   #6

Sandalla HB UserSandalla HB User

Hey Sickofeffexor … good idea this thread!

Now, I have to tell you that just the very thought of this thread being created … the support and encouragement behind it … AND the watchdog effect (LOL) … I’m already feeling it’s giving me some strength and extra determination.

OK, Guys, weight is just weight! We’re in charge of it! We’re all getting ourselves fit and healthy now and we’re trying the med-free route! LET’S GO! POWER TO ALL OF US!

How about we all start by making some very minor changes every day. We’ve shocked our minds and bodies enough already, let’s go easy and gentle on ourselves. Don’t underestimate the power of the mind. If you can visualize yourself getting slimmer and stick with that positive visualization, it sets off a whole positive chain reaction, with positive results.

Positive, positive, positive.

Everybody try and think of one minor change they can make without feeling deprived or feeling that they’re on an actual diet.

Some suggestions:

1) Eating that chocolate bar every other day instead of every day.
2) No eating after 8:00pm every night! This one in itself works WONDERS for me!
3) Snacking on plain popcorn instead of chips.
4) Eating one popcorn at a time instead of shoving 20 in all at once!
5) Eating each mouthful s-l-o-w-l-y so it lasts longer … and we can pretend we’re having seconds!
6) Taking a short brisk walk once a day … or start with every other day if that’s asking too much.
7) Use the stairs instead of the elevator.

Remember, besides these actual actions, it’s about the enthusiasm and optimism too.

It’s not a race or a competition. If we slip up now and again, that’s fine too … it’s about the big picture, not the tiny little slip ups. We fall one minute … no big deal … we’re back on the horse the next minute. And I wanna hear of everyone’s little slip ups! Let’s all chuckle through this together!

Let’s look at it this way. If we carry on the way we are now … in one year’s time, we’ll either be at the same weight or maybe a little heavier. If we put these minor changes into place now … gradually adding more and more minor changes … in one year’s time … hey, the sky’s the limit.

And that’s my spiel! Let everyone come on board with their suggestions and tips.

Ready … set … go!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandalla For This Useful Post:
KiWi005 (06-24-2011)
Old 10-04-2004, 04:12 PM   #7

Donna, you're awesome! Really! What strength of character you have! I'm personally finding your words incredibly motivational! Thank you.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna 2854
I'll add a few words to your new thread! After being on just about every SSRI except effexxor ( wouldn't EVEN touch that one) I am happy to report I am off of them for the first time since 1988 or so. Its been a month plus a few days now. I still carry a Xanax just in case I get anxiety from dealing with an event or person.
None of the SSRI's ( ie Zoloft, Luvox, Paxil , Prozac, Lexapro , Celexa) seemed to have made any difference except for making me feel fuzzy, detached, sleepy , unmotivated and basically ill. I will wonder if MY depression has always been situational. I took meds to relieve the symptoms . But ended up with a pattern I didn't like.
Hi Donna Boy, I'm impressed, you've been on ADs longer than I was (I was 10 years). I completely agree with everything you have said. I'm at 18 days free! Woo Hoo!

I got tired of being fuzzy, detached, sleepy, ill... everything you said. I took the meds because I trusted my doctor(s) when they said I was "chemically imbalanced" and wouldn't get better without them. What a crock!

Quote:
I think I will always have depression but I am doing my best to think and act my way out of the episodes. It requires great effort though and I am willing to do it to avoid meds and the side effects that go along. I do not want to live in a fuzzy detached state day after day. No one can get me out of this but me . It requires me to take that step to do it. A pill will not work with me. Been there, done that. Me me me. Look how many times I mentioned that word. I had to get away from these thoughts.
I am somewhat fearful that I will always have depression.
Fearful that I will again find myself in a really dark place. Yet at the same time, I wasn't getting any better on the ADs, in fact, I think I was getting worse. So I am determined to give this a shot, give me a shot, at a better quality of life.

Quote:
I am very conscious of what I eat ( am also going through menopause) and I do get quite a bit of exercise stocking the retail store. I consider that job a challenge despite not really having to do it for income. . Most people wouldn't want to be this physical . Lousy pay really but the point is to get out of the house, to exercise, to interact with people , and mostly , to force myself into a schedule. Yeah, its tough and I lift alot of heavy things but I am determined I can do this .
I think this job has made a big difference and it keeps the depresssion at bay. I enjoy bantering with customers. It makes me have to think about something else. I intend to keep it until my body says enough of this.

I also know I have a talent for painting which is there whenever I decide I want to do it. Right now, I am fed up trying to compete with cheap imports so I don't feel motivated to produce alot of things. I will though start painting for the holiday season. Look at it more like relaxation rather than income -producing .
So , my thing is trying to work away from the house to stay depression -free and I want to do this without meds. Then use the painting as a relaxation thing when I AM in the house. Just my thoughts written down really. Sorry the post is so long. But I am glad I got to write the thoughts down here on the board. I can go back through the archives and re read if I reach "that point" again.
I read about your job on another post. I'm impressed, and a little envious. Unfortunately, it's just me so I have to work where I can (somewhat ) support myself.

Definately give your painting a go. It's gotta feel good to create beautiful things... and who knows? You could get discovered! I used to sing, but my last bout with depression took the desire away. I'm starting to think about singing again.... so we'll see....

Thanks so much for your support! Every little bit helps enormously!

Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalla
Hey Sickofeffexor … good idea this thread!

Now, I have to tell you that just the very thought of this thread being created … the support and encouragement behind it … AND the watchdog effect (LOL) … I’m already feeling it’s giving me some strength and extra determination.

OK, Guys, weight is just weight! We’re in charge of it! We’re all getting ourselves fit and healthy now and we’re trying the med-free route! LET’S GO! POWER TO ALL OF US!

How about we all start by making some very minor changes every day. We’ve shocked our minds and bodies enough already, let’s go easy and gentle on ourselves. Don’t underestimate the power of the mind. If you can visualize yourself getting slimmer and stick with that positive visualization, it sets off a whole positive chain reaction, with positive results.

Positive, positive, positive.

It’s not a race or a competition. If we slip up now and again, that’s fine too … it’s about the big picture, not the tiny little slip ups. We fall one minute … no big deal … we’re back on the horse the next minute. And I wanna hear of everyone’s little slip ups! Let’s all chuckle through this together!

Let’s look at it this way. If we carry on the way we are now … in one year’s time, we’ll either be at the same weight or maybe a little heavier. If we put these minor changes into place now … gradually adding more and more minor changes … in one year’s time … hey, the sky’s the limit.

And that’s my spiel! Let everyone come on board with their suggestions and tips.

Ready … set … go!!!!

Good stuff girlfriend!! Tonight I tried a little Palates. It looks so simple Fortunately, only the dogs saw me trying it .... and they can't tell anyone! I have made it through one complete day with my goals... no refined sugar, no flour, exercise....

Here's to Day 2!

Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 PM   #10

Reporting in!

Took my doggy for a 1 hr walk/jog today ... wasn't in the mood to start off with ... feeling a bit weepy and sleepy today, arggg, hate that ... but dragged myself out ... met other dogs along the way, including a dog walker with 4 gorgeous dogs ... spent about 15mins chatting to him and cuddling the dogs ... and visualizing my end goal!

I tell you, it's hard to think of even eating a chocolate bar or not staying on track somewhat, once you get going.

I'm totally psyched! (Do I sound like I'm trying to convince myself or something? LOL!)

Okay, take care, Everyone!

Old 10-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Way to go Sandella!

Well, as I mentioned previously, I had two side effects go away (well that one side effect has just kind of taken the opposite course.... but it's a refreshing change )

I have another side effect that has disappeared. It's quite startling really, having years of, well, you know.... no desire..... (too bad my love life is on hiatus!)

Anyway, it is nice to see some of these side effects going away... gives me a lot of hope for my future.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

I hope I put these thoughts down logically....

The more my head clears, the more I am beginning to feel like the person I was before I ever went on ADs.... in a way, it's kind of unnerving because it's like that person has been gone for 10 years (no I do not have multiple personalities ). I mean, how do you live with yourself all that time, yet not "feel" like yourself?

On the one hand, it feels kind of good, but on the other hand, I'm starting to my old self, yet I'm TRAPPED in this fat body (which I never had before ADs). And that... makes me want to cry because I can't get the weight off fast enough -- or slow enough at this point -- I wonder if my metabolism is just permanently screwed (excuse me) from all these drugs.

Does this make sense to you guys? I'm very frustrated. Really, really, frustrated....

I'm also curious about eating disorders.... has anyone experienced eating disorders while being on Effexor? Just wondering...

I could really, really, really use some encouragement....

Thanks!!!

Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #13

Oh, Sickofeffexor ... ! Sigh! I'm sooooo glad to see you adhering to the "positive, positive, positive" policy!

Seriously though, I must take the time to listen to the Ann Blake Tracey CD again ... it does talk about the cause of the weight gain. Sorry, but it's a 1 1/2 hr CD, and just haven't had the time to listen to it again ... and I'll have to make notes this time around too, to share with everyone. But I will try to get around to it sooooooon .....

I've read up on other forums (I think there's a Yahoo one somewhere) about how some people just start naturally losing the weight without any effort after getting off this crap ... while others struggle a bit more.

And really, look on the bright side ... you ARE noticing your original side effects slowly but SURELY getting better and better. Me too. All of them! And Lord knows I had 1001 of them!!! There really is not ONE side effect that I can say has not eased up since my slow withdrawal. We're still healing and we've just started.

Please be positive ... even if it has messed with the metabolism (which I'm inclined to think too) ... that has to improve with time - it just probably needs a bit more of a push than before!

Really. I'm not just looking for nice words to say. Doesn't this theory make sense to you too?

Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 PM   #14

WaryMary HB User

Wow - reading these posts really does make me feel like I'm not alone (but on the other hand I'm sorry you all are in this same boat!)

I also have some AD weight to lose - I gained 40 pounds in just a year and a half while on Zoloft and Buspar.

I had good success with the no sugar, no refined flour thing a few years ago - it's a healthy way to lose weight! I was also walking a lot in addition to working out at a gym - at the time I had a job that was a 25-minute brisk walk from the nearest bus stop. Now the darn thing stops right outside my office building.

I can relate to the feelings of detachment, sleepiness, and lack of motivation from the ADs - and I've always loved to exercise, but my desire to exercise decreased dramatically while on Zoloft. I've been off now for 6 days, and I can already feel my desire to work out coming back. No weight loss yet, though.

Here's to success for all of us!

Mary

Old 10-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaryMary
Wow - reading these posts really does make me feel like I'm not alone (but on the other hand I'm sorry you all are in this same boat!)

I also have some AD weight to lose - I gained 40 pounds in just a year and a half while on Zoloft and Buspar.

I had good success with the no sugar, no refined flour thing a few years ago - it's a healthy way to lose weight! I was also walking a lot in addition to working out at a gym - at the time I had a job that was a 25-minute brisk walk from the nearest bus stop. Now the darn thing stops right outside my office building.

I can relate to the feelings of detachment, sleepiness, and lack of motivation from the ADs - and I've always loved to exercise, but my desire to exercise decreased dramatically while on Zoloft. I've been off now for 6 days, and I can already feel my desire to work out coming back. No weight loss yet, though.

Here's to success for all of us!

Mary

Hi Mary

Was it easy for you to give up the refined sugar and flour? Have you been able to do it again and lose weight?

Closed Thread