It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Anti-Depressants that can help with fatigue and tiredness?

I've been feeling exhausted for over a year now. Also, my concentration and focus is low, and my short-term memory isn't good. I do suffer with depression. Though, I know for sure that the depression isn't causing my exhaustion problem. I've been more depressed in the past, and I was never exhausted like this. The fatigue is actually causing me to get more upset and depressed, not the other way around. I don't feel refreshed after getting a full night's sleep. I've had various lab tests done. My TSH for my Thyroid was high indicating a low thyroid. I was put on thyroid medication. My TSH is now suppressed, but I didn't get any better. I've had my Cortisol tested because I've dealt with a lot of stress over the years. The result was in the normal range. I read that some anti-depressants such as Wellbutrin and Effexor can help with fatigue? I was on both of them before, and they didn't help with my depression. Maybe one of them would help with my exhaustion though? Maybe one or more of my neurotransmitters is low?

Old 11-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
(male)

Karl2 HB User
Re: Anti-Depressants that can help with fatigue and tiredness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
I've been feeling exhausted for over a year now. Also, my concentration and focus is low, and my short-term memory isn't good. I do suffer with depression. Though, I know for sure that the depression isn't causing my exhaustion problem. I've been more depressed in the past, and I was never exhausted like this. The fatigue is actually causing me to get more upset and depressed, not the other way around. I don't feel refreshed after getting a full night's sleep. I've had various lab tests done. My TSH for my Thyroid was high indicating a low thyroid. I was put on thyroid medication. My TSH is now suppressed, but I didn't get any better. I've had my Cortisol tested because I've dealt with a lot of stress over the years. The result was in the normal range. I read that some anti-depressants such as Wellbutrin and Effexor can help with fatigue? I was on both of them before, and they didn't help with my depression. Maybe one of them would help with my exhaustion though? Maybe one or more of my neurotransmitters is low?
Hi,

I have some of the symptoms you cite; I have had bloodwork all come back fine, however. I suffer from low blood pressure and brain fog. My doctor put me on Endronax; I'm skeptical in regard to its efficiacy in my case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
My experience with Effexor was that it made me want to sleep all the time.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #4

crazygirl35 HB User

I took Prozac for about 5 years and as it is one of the more "stimulating" A/D's (as opposed to others, that are sedating), it did give me more energy and I felt less fatigued.

I am now on Cymbalta (Duloxetine, a "cousin" of Prozac) and it seems to be the same way.

Good luck - I do know that being fatigued and tired all the time and low energy are symptoms of Depression.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Scary! Antidepressants will give you more energy sometimes, but that doesn't sound like the root of your problem - something I'd worry about before going on AD's. Have you tried an OTC supplement like spirulina? Vit. C is energizing. I take a brand of spirulina called Earthrise that gives me so much energy I can barely stand it. I bet there are some natural remedies that will stimulate your thyroid too.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

Have you spoken with a neurologist or another doc who specializes in sleep? I also have depression, and thought that was the reason for my overwhelming fatigue. Then my psychiatrist suggested I might have a sleep disorder. Now that the sleep disorder is treated, I feel like a new person.

You say that you do have depression? Are you seeing a psychiatrist to manage it?

Old 11-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #7

Bonaventure HB User

I would second the advice given about checking if you have a sleep disorder and to try other things before going on A-d's. But if you do Effexor gave me alot of energy, gave me great attention, and helped my memory. Although, it did have other bad side effects like not being able to sleep.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
But if you do Effexor gave me alot of energy, gave me great attention, and helped my memory. Although, it did have other bad side effects like not being able to sleep.
It had the opposite effect on me.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #9

kittycatlover HB User

To Concerned Male,
I do believe you're depressed - you could have been describing me with your post. I have suffered from depression since age 12 (I'm 42 now), but don't have to be on antidepressants all the time - just when the stress level gets too high.

I have taken Elavil, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin with good results. The Elavil literally forced me to sleep, but I did have a mild hangover in the mornings if I didn't take it early enough in the evening. The Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft worked well for the general depression. However, about 5 years ago I switched to Wellbutrin because I realized I had no sex drive anymore. I was pleasantly surprised to have my libido return.

More recently I switched back to Zoloft. I am going thru a stressful divorce and the anxiety level has shot thru the roof. So my doc switched me to Zoloft. It took less than 2 weeks before I realized I was feeling more refreshed and could concentrate better.

Nevertheless, neither med may work for you. I've learned from experience that what works for one may not work for others. But you NEED to go see your doc and tell him/her that you think you need to be on an antidepressant. Please do so as soon as possible. Don't want until you start having thoughts of harming yourself. And hang in there.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry1
Scary! Antidepressants will give you more energy sometimes, but that doesn't sound like the root of your problem - something I'd worry about before going on AD's. Have you tried an OTC supplement like spirulina? Vit. C is energizing. I take a brand of spirulina called Earthrise that gives me so much energy I can barely stand it. I bet there are some natural remedies that will stimulate your thyroid too.
Is the Spirulina you take in a powder form? I tried a green powder before that had Spirulina in it. I didn't like the taste at all though, so I didn't try it again. You think the spirulina might give me some energy?

Old 11-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Well I've been on plenty of anti-depressants over the years, and none of them have helped with my depression. I haven't been on any anti-depressants lately. I was wondering if that could be the reason that I'm feeling so exhausted and fatigued? Maybe one or more of my neurotransmitters is low and that could be causing me to feel so exhausted? I want to do things, it's just I'm so fatigued and sluggish, I'm not able to do much.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Is it possible that if I went back on an anti-depressant like Wellbutrin, it could help my fatigue even if it doesn't help my depression? Cause in my case, I don't think my fatigue is being caused by depression. I was wondering if a lack of one or more neurotransmitters could cause fatigue that is separate from depression?

Old 11-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Is it possible that if I went back on an anti-depressant like Wellbutrin, it could help my fatigue even if it doesn't help my depression? Cause in my case, I don't think my fatigue is being caused by depression. I was wondering if a lack of one or more neurotransmitters could cause fatigue that is separate from depression?
Wellbutrin didn't help with my fatigue.... but that was just my experience.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

analog2000 HB User

This is a complicated question. Depression isn't just about feeling sad. It is also feeling tired, having no motivation, feeling apathetic, etc. So it is difficult to tell whether or not the fatigue you have is separate from the depression, when fatigue is a symptom of depression. See how it becomes a kind of loop?

Certainly there are people who do not feel sad, but do feel tired all the time, who benefit from anti-depressants. And there are people with who feel sad AND fatigued who will take ADs, not feel as tired, but still feel sad. Have you talked with a doc?

Old 11-19-2004, 12:30 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

Exactly how I feel, and I can never get anyone to understand! Two years ago I'd seen a doctor, my iron was low and has been in the past so I was on iron pills, well 2 years later still tierd everday all day! Recently I had a crying fit for two days , I have been put on anti-depressents I have been taking these for 4 weeks, no change in how I feel, I'm not crying but I'm still so tierd that all I think about is how long until i can go back to bed. i seen my doctor yesterday and he says keep taking the meds no physical reason to causing me to be tierd, he's sending me to a tharapist.

Closed Thread