It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

oink HB User
my doctor insists i start effexor

i used to be on anitidepressants a couple of years ago i tried zoloft(led to insomnia) and then serezone(600mg a day) until i decided to quit since i felt they did nothing for me and the weight gain was one of the biggest factors concerning me. AS of then i decided antidepressants were not for me and my depression was only min over matter and i thought i could fight back. the last two yrs have been extremely stressfull and its beginning to take its toll on me. i was recently diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and started seeing a psychiatrist about a yr ago. my psychiatrist and my physician feel i am chronically depressed and need to get on antidepressants(effexor). i have been told that this would help alleviate the syptoms of ibs. i have also abt 40lbs and now weigh only 88lbs.
i am reluctant to get on the effexor for variouus reasons the main one being the weigh gain my doc tells me the weight gain would help me right now and i agree but the problem with antidepressants or so i feel is that once u start putting on the weight the weight doesn't stop until u're off the antidep.
i am really depressed and my doctor tells me there is a cost of not taking the antidepressants and i realse that but is it really worth the sideeffects? i mean do i really need medicine to be happy.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran

Angelene HB User
Re: my doctor insists i start effexor

Of course, ultimately you decide whether or not you want to take medicine, but from what you're describing--the stress, etc--I too think you would benefit from taking effexor. I personally take effexor and my mind has never felt as clear. I suffer from ibs too, but it didn't get any better after taking the antidepressants. I'm on a high dose of zelnorm which helps.

Are you underweight? From what I read, you weigh only 88 lbs? If you're really concerned about gaining weight from the drug, I wonder if you have some sort of body image disorder b/c it doesn't seem right that you would be scared of gaining a few lbs. And in all honesty, if you can control what you eat, you won't gain a lot of weight.

Try not to think of it as taking a pill to make you happy. The medicine helps to clear up your mind and helps you focus. It has given me a clarity that I never thought I would have, and I'm not as "on edge". But my day to day moods are just that--I have to decide when I wake up in the morning if I'm going to have a good day or a bad day, and I choose what's going to bother me. The medicine does not do it for you, but it can help you rationalize, prioritize, and basically live more healthily.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread