It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
(male)

aggiecrew HB User
delayed side-effects for ssri's

anybody have a side-effect from an ssri that took a long time to come on?

I have something going on (90% loss of physical sexual pleasure) but I'm not sure if it's related to my ssri because I was on it for 3 years before this happened.

thanks!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #2

peanutgal HB User
Re: delayed side-effects for ssri's

Yes, I believe I am also showing delayed reactions to long term use of SSRI's. I have been in the process of trying to eliminate physical causes of all the horrible symptoms I am having. It appears to be coming down to the remaining factor... my SSRI... as nothing physical is being found. I have been on SSRI's for almost 8 years.

I have researched and researched on the long-term effects of SSRI's and found little or nothing. Why? Because they haven't been around long enough to show what the long term effects will be. We are the guinea pigs. We will determine what they are. One thing is certain - SSRI's are manipulating normal brain function. Sound scary? Well it should. But the pharmaceutical companies are getting rich off the over-prescribing of this "quick fix" revolution. I swear the doctors are getting kick-backs as they seem to love to just prescribe them at will. I don't know what the politics behind all of this are, but it is certainly playing with our lives, minds and health and we just suck it up, take the prescription, fill it and then if we complain of not feeling well, they switch us to the latest and greatest antidepressant on the market or up the dose of the existing prescription.

SSRI's reuptake serotonin. I highly suggest anyone currently taking SSRI's study the human body and the limbic system. Modifying serotonin in large quantities of rats has caused irreversible brain damage but they leave that study out of documentation of the FDA and the manufacturer.

I am currently experiencing EPS - extrapyramidal symptoms. I highly suggest you Google that terminology. You will find some correlation perhaps as to how you are feeling. As for me, I feel as I might be experiencing drug-induced parkinsonism. I won't know until late December where I finally stand up to my shrink and get to the bottom of this and go off my meds to see if my health improves.

DO NOT, I REPEAT... DO NOT STOP TAKING ANY ANTIDEPRESSANTS WITHOUT THE CONSULT OF YOUR PHYSICIAN!! I AM JUST EXPRESSING MY PERSONAL VIEW HERE. IT IS NOT THE OPINION OF MANY OTHERS WHO ARE BEING TREATED SUCCESSFULLY WITH ANTIDEPRESSANTS AND OTHERS WHO MAY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS FROM THEIR USE.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgal
I am currently experiencing EPS - extrapyramidal symptoms.
What medication do you think caused you to have EPS?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

I have looked at this (EPS - extrapyramidal symptoms) and have not heard of anyone having this that has taken SSRIs. Anyone else having this- please post.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User
Angry Re: delayed side-effects for ssri's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainSerpent
I have looked at this (EPS - extrapyramidal symptoms) and have not heard of anyone having this that has taken SSRIs. Anyone else having this- please post.

Just made a quick search on Google and the first result I got refer to this article:

http://www.smw.ch/pdf200x/2002/09/smw-09916.PDF

Their conclusion is non-ambiguous:"EPS (extrapyramidal symptoms) can and does occur in youth with SSRI. Clinicians should be aware of the SSRIs as a potential causative factor for EPS."

rose_5-HT

Closed Thread