It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
(male)

Josh_B HB User
NATURAL ways to increase Seratonin levels ?

I've heard Omega 3 is good as doing this. Does anybody have anything else they've tried? I've heard this is one of the major keys in fighting depression.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #2

LoveMyWay71 HB User
Re: NATURAL ways to increase Seratonin levels ?

i have heard the same thing. i am getting off of prozac after 6 yrs and want to try something natural.. i hope this works. i have also heard b vitamins are good for this as well as st john's wart..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

You could try some of these:
  • flax seed oil
  • HTP-5
  • B vitamins
  • Exercise (no!!!!! anything but that!!!!!)
  • Meditation
  • eating small meals every 3-4 hours (for energy)
  • getting plenty of rest
If you are looking for a magic pill, you will be disapointed. Is there anything you are doing for yourself emotionally? Don't forget to take care of yourself as that is very important too!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

RainSerpent, I completely agree. I might add that Vitamin D supplements are supposed to regulate serotonin. This is a somewhat new finding, and I don't know if it works. I know flaxseed oil really boosts my mood. And I've got some vit. D I've been meaning to add to my diet....I'm a little disorganized (serotonin deficiency will make you that way).

Vit. C energizes me and Calcium Citrate multi-vitamins make me calmer and also make me sleep a bit better.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 PM   #5

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_B
I've heard Omega 3 is good as doing this. Does anybody have anything else they've tried? I've heard this is one of the major keys in fighting depression.
omega 3 does not affect neurotransmitters themselves, but because most of the brain cells are surrounded by these fatty acids....supplementing with omega 3's will provide the sufficient amount to allow neurotransmitters to connect and release their information properly.
flax-seed oil and fish oil's are a MUST in everone's diet..fish oil makes me nauseous..so i take 4 tablespoons flax seed oil daily
st. john's wort is considered "natural" prozac because it's mode of action is similar
5-htp is the precursor to serotonin...therefore supplementing with 5-htp will help the brain produce and release more serotonin

Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
(male)

Josh_B HB User

Where can I get "5-htp" ?

Old 12-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #7

sivaarar HB User

I haven't looked into the scientific side of it, but it has definately helped me. I wouldn't say it is a fix by itsself, but I notice the difference when I take it. I would say that rather than removing or lessening my feelings of depressions, it helps me deal with them better.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i read on the internet that the herb rodiola rosea has a better anti-depressant action than st john's wort. american ginseng is also good. i was told that you try and rotate the herb used by some dude on this board. so i guess try using other herbs instead of st john's wort sometimes. ginger and liquorice are good alternatives also. also, try using essential oils. its not always practical to use the massage tecnique but you can use a oil burner when you at home. clary sage is a relaxing anti-depressant. bergamot is a refreshing anti-depressant. the oils enter the body and act on the body in a similar way to drugs. both are very effective.

Last edited by ratboy83; 12-09-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i reckon exercise is the best thing. i know that depressed people don't always feel like exercising, but if you break through the lethargy barrier and start a regime it gets easier and easier to exercise. an intensive work out gives instant relief and gives long term anti-depressant benefits over time. but you have to keep it up. but considering exercise is good for you and makes ANYONE feel better in some way then its worth it allround!!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry1
And I've got some vit. D I've been meaning to add to my diet...
Remember to enjoy the outdoors! Sunlight is the best and only reliable source of vitamin D.

You can obtain 5-HTP and a lot of other things mentioned in this post at any health food store. Be carefull as you can spend a lot of money in these places and some so-called cures can be worthless or even dangerous. Research is a pain but can be a real big help.

Thanks Matt for filling in a lot of detail. That is some great info.

Remember to take care of yourselves psychologically/ socially as well !!!

Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #11

ftlmatt HB User

you can purchase 5-htp from any healthstore....my favorite is vitamin shoppe. but make sure you buy from a well known company
also excercise is great for depression and is part of the puzzle in lifting depression along with medication, supplements or herbs and diet
if you are having problems with energy levels..wellbutrin works great or add a small amount of a stimulant such as dexedrine (which i take both) l-tyrosine is also a great amino acid to help aid energy
make sure you are getting blood tests done by your doctor! i was really tired all the time and come to find out my testosterone levels were below normal, and i am only 27..so i am using androgel now and has helped a lot...decadurabolin is another excellent steroid to help with energy with no side effects

Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

Without caffeine I would be a walking corpse. I should get my testosterone levels checked as well. I am just too scared of what I might find out.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #13
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Can only comment on myself....

but I've taken both St. John's Wort and 5-HTP and for awhile they helped really well, of late they have done nothing for me though.

So I'm actually looking to do the opposite.... try something that's not natural in tandem with possible counseling

Old 12-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

hi there rainserpant. how much caffeine do drink take each day? if you survive on it then you must have to have a lot of it as its only ever a short term solution. it puts an enormous strain on the endocrine system and leads to adrenal exhaustion and thus general exhaustion. one then grabs another source of caffeine to reslove the issue. sounds like you are addicted to the stuff. caffeine also depletes the body of b vits, vital to prevent depression and to sustain energy levels. maybe you just think that you can't survive without caffeine because you feel so tired without it because you are dependant on the stuff. my sister is the same. i think you should try and come off the stuff. try ginseng tea. it can be as energising as coffee but without the nasty side efects mentioned above.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #15
(male)

Frank186 HB User

SAM-e is supposed to work as well as antidepressant without the side effects. It's really expensive though but worth a shot.

I've helped myself a lot by doing excercise, changing my diet, flaxseed/evening primrose/ and fish oils, vits B and C supplements. CBT and changing some of the priorities and perspectives in my life and taking interest in different things, really helped the most though. So many times we all feel trapped but it's a self imposed prison. Things don't have to be how they are and only we can change them. Having the courage to decide on a whole new way of life in terms of thinking and doing then following through no matter how scarry will really help any depressed or anxious person take back control of their lives. This was the case for me and was the only real cure.

-Frank

Closed Thread