It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

aggiecrew HB User
drugs to reverse ssri sexual side effects

has anyone tried cyproheptadine, buspirone, or bupropion to reverse their sexual side effects?

Old 12-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User
Re: drugs to reverse ssri sexual side effects

While I have been on Celexa I have had no problems with sexual side effects. When I was taking Lexapro I had no problem with sexual side effects either, same when I was on Zoloft several years ago. Maybe each person responds to ssri's differently. Did you say Buspar is supposed to help with sexual side effects? Wasnt sure if I read your post right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

You might try a different SSRI instead!! Some of them don't have those side effects quite as bad.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiecrew
has anyone tried cyproheptadine, buspirone, or bupropion to reverse their sexual side effects?
Bupropion - Wellbutrin - does not cause the sexual side effects that the SSRI's cause. I've taken it alone but not in combination with an SSRI (although I do know that it is sometimes prescribed that way).

Old 12-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #5

ftlmatt HB User

i took wellbutrin when i was on prozac, zoloft, celexa, etc. and it seemed to work for a short while...i was first put on prozac over 5 years ago and have been off of it for 3 years now. but ever since then my sex drive has never been the same, even though i have been off all ssri's now for over a year.
yohimbe, ginko biloba, dopa bean extract, and small amounts of stimulants (dexedrine, adderall, etc.) also have been used for sexual dysfunction

Old 12-20-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

hey matt,

you don't feel like you've made any improvement since quitting the ssri's? which side effects remain?

Old 12-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

Glenzo HB User

I've been on Celexa 20mg (Citalopram) and couldn't feel much let alone ejaculate, now on Zoloft/Lustral 50mg (Sertraline) equivalent and bollucks the side effects which I thought I wasn't going to get are back full throttle.

I want to make love to my gf have no erection problems but when I get down to it the experience is numb below the waist and in the mind (Orgasm/Arousal is controlled by the brain's release of Nitric Oxide, which SSRIs inhibit).

I'd love my sex life back as it's a strain on our relationship. It would be great to have something that really works to reverse this. I'm depressed because of this side effect!

Now I was on Buspar (Buspirone) for anxiety along with Celexa (Citalopram), now sexual functioning aside, I had to stop taking the drug as I was going off my head with severe anxiety, fear, dream disturbances where I woke up and was in a sleep walk state still dreaming a nightmare - Terrifying for me!

I'd be afraid to try this after that experience, however the doctor put me on 15mg per day right away and maybe this was too much too sudden I don't know. I have a relative who takes Buspirone and claims it to be a great tablet. She takes one a day most days ie. 5mg and up to 15mg if she' s in a state. She takes this with Paxil/Seroxat (Paroxitine) with no troublesome side effects. I assume however she has SSRI sexual probs as she went onto half a Paxil in the summer and mentioned gaining a 'half a tablet feeling' where she was feeling quite amourous and sex hungry for a man (but that was enough info for me as I didn't want to be nosy).

HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE WITH ME BROKEN SHOOTER!!

Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #8
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

when you say you are numb below the waist and have no problems with erections that sounds just like me. now my questions are...

1. is this numbness constant or just when you are about to engage in sexual activity?

2. where do you feel the numbness? is it the penis or do you think like it's more than that...or do you think it's the prostate/pelvic floor muscles lacking the good feeling that you are supposed to have?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:58 AM   #9
(male)

Glenzo HB User

1. The numbness is noticeable only when I engage in sex, however if I was to check for sensation at any time I would be noticably numb, so you could say constant.

2. I suppose I'd say the numbness is on the penises reaction to stimulation (which is low) and also inside the pelvic area ? prostrate or whereever probably the stimulation (when working) sends signals for pleasure and ultimately orgasm.

3. My erections are fine and lasting, but after that I have a bit of a dead dick!!

Old 12-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #10

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiecrew
hey matt,

you don't feel like you've made any improvement since quitting the ssri's? which side effects remain?
i made an improvement by staying away from ssri's lol my problem is not with serotonin...but dopamine and norepinephrine so ssri's didn't do anything...when i quit taking those medications..the side effects such as restless leg syndrome, nausea sometimes, fatigue went away...but not the sexual..
very low sex drive, erection problems....i am 27!!! and it makes me depressed enough having no sex drive lol
i know there are drugs out there that boost sex drive, some used for parkinsons and alzheimers..but haven't checked it out.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
(male)

aggiecrew HB User

glenzo,

1. do you notice in change in your ability to feel urine passing?

2. was loss of sensation all of a sudden or did it decrease gradually?

thanks!

Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 AM   #12
(male)

Glenzo HB User

Aggiecrew

No changes in passing urine and as I've mentioned, the change seemed sudden, however I'd say that for a couple that 'does it' everyday, a guy like you or myself would notice the change more gradual as we seem to save ourselves more for weekends (which thanks to being on Zoloft), I seem to be prepared to wait. If I wasn't on Zoloft I'd want sex everyday , and why not if you're fit and able!!

Old 01-21-2005, 01:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

I've got the exact same thing happening re sex drive: numb everywhere, and worse, numb in the mind. I don't even feel like I want sex at all. It really sucks. I didn't like what I read in the last post. It must surely return once off the drugs no? Is there anyone out there who returned to normal after ending the SSRI trip?

Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
(female)

zer0hour HB User

i hated prozac, i love to masterbate, im a girl, not that that matters, but when boys say it i gringe so i thought i include it,.. on prozac it would take me 30 min to an hour to orgasm as opposed to the 30 sec to a minute regiment it usually took, i couldnt ****ing stand it... i just went off prozac 3 days ago due to the insomnia and i can orgasm again also, yippie

Closed Thread