It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

walkin HB User
Difference Between SSRI'S And SNRI'S????

i know this is probably really dumb, but what is the difference in SNRI's and SSRI's?? why do docs give more people ssri's then snri's?do they both work they same?are snri's addictive?do they work faster?also i was reading about the older ones maho's but i dont know much about them.

Last edited by walkin; 12-20-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Difference Between SSRI'S And SNRI'S????

i do know that the mao have some severe side effects for a lot of people.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 05:45 AM   #3

opiateskill000 HB User
Re: Difference Between SSRI'S And SNRI'S????

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin
i know this is probably really dumb, but what is the difference in SNRI's and SSRI's?? why do docs give more people ssri's then snri's?do they both work they same?are snri's addictive?do they work faster?also i was reading about the older ones maho's but i dont know much about them.
I'm no psychiatrist, but I know the BASIC difference between them. An SSRI, or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, prevents the reuptake process of the neurotransmitter Serotonin. SNRIs (which are Serotonin and Noreprenephrine Reuptake Inhibitors), however, affect two neurotransmitters that have an effect on depression (Serotonin AND Noreprenephrine). I'm not sure why SSRI's are prescribed more, and I don't believe one works any faster than the other, but don't quote me. As far as addiction potential, the companies claim that anti-depressants are NOT addictive. HOWEVER, people often misunderstand the concept of addiction. Addiction entails: continual need to increase dosage to achieve desired effect, drug-seeking behavior, continuation of substance use DESPITE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES. No anti-depressant fits this bill, but you CAN and WILL become "PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT" on them, meaning that your body adjusts to the constant consumption of the anti-depressants, and there will be a discontinuation syndrome (similar to "withdrawal" from addictive drugs) if stopped ABRUPTLY. That's why it's so important to taper off of anti-depressants according to your doctor's directions. Regarding MOIA's* (spelling?), they're just an out-dated anti-depressant. Although they're not necessarily any less EFFECTIVE than the newer anti-depressant drugs (like SSRIs and SNRIs), their side effects tend to be much worse, so they're not really used anymore unless a person responds badly to the newer drugs, or has a condition that prevents them from being able to take the new ones, or another reason that I just don't know.

Like I said, I'm not a psychiatrist, so you might want to double check this stuff with a professional.

Closed Thread