It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
(male)

JWilson43 HB User
Unhappy Where have all my "feel good" brain chemicals gone?

You know all those wonderful chemicals/hormones that surge through your brain during moments of sheer pleasure and make you feel euphoric, ecstatic, elated, motivated, etc?. I'm talking about the kind of chemicals that make thier presence felt when you've been dirt poor your entire life and suddenly you hit the lottery for 50 million dollars. Or the kind of jubillant rush you get when your long-lost pet has finally been found. Maybe you hav'nt been with another person for 10 years and all of a sudden you find yourself dating a beautiful woman/man. Or still yet, you get really engrossed in a project and become very focused and motivated with it.

Well, all of that has been missing for me for a l-o-n-g time. I want those feeling/chemicals back. I want to feel highly motivated and ambitious again. I want my serotonin/dopamine/norepinephrine back and I want to be able to take an interest again in the things I used to enjoy. I have lots of wonderful pets, projects I've been "meaning" to do, lots of realy cool software programs I want to learn, and quite a few things around the house that need to be done.

I run on auto-pilot most of the time as I mentioned once before. I have lost interest in everything. It's like I have become this robot/zombie who does things just because I know they need to be done but derive no pleasure from them, nor do I feel the least bit motivated as I'm doing them. On the RARE days when I do feel even the slightest motivation, I try to pack everything I can into my day - even freezing cookie dough, paying bills in advance, etc because I know that once I start going downhill again, I won't have the motivation to do anything.

I suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) in addition to OCD, Anxiety, etc and I was on Ritalin as a kid so I'm wondering if I should ask my doc for something like this again (perhaps Straterra?). Anyway, I just felt like sharing and getting some feedback from the rest of you on this. Does depression make you feel this way?.

- Regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User
Re: Where have all my "feel good" brain chemicals gone?

I hear you!! Wish I had the answer to that question! I'm going under again myself I think.....

Old 12-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User

My brother was on ritalin for ADD when he was young, and didn't like it because it made him feel "numb and drugged." He seems to be much happier on strattera, so that might be worth looking into, though I really don't know much about it.

I, on the other hand, suffer from anxiety and depression (according to the family doctor... I've never been to a psychiatrist). But from what you say, you definitely seem to be depressed. For me, I'm not sure when it happened. All I know is that I used to be super social and have a lot of fun doing a lot of things when I was an undergraduate, and now I really have no desire to do anything. Effexor gave me the motivation to get things done, but I still felt numb, and the rare high points in my life (time spent with my amazing boyfriend, for example) didn't do anything for me... That was a trade-off I realized I wasn't willing to make... well, we'll see. I'm now starting Wellbutrin, which has made me feel hyperactive (which I fear could turn into intense anxiety during my upcoming final semester of grad school).

Ultimately, yes, I definitely think you should talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. But, I would also ask about treatment options that don't involve medication. These drugs can obviously be great, but the whole experimental process of finding the right one can be daunting, to say the least...

Good luck with everything!

Old 12-29-2004, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

trucky HB User

Woah--Does this ever sound familiar. I'm coming off zoloft--even a little is too much serotonin. I was on Wellbutrin for a year--it has the dope and the norepin, but it too can simply wear me out. Stimulants do that. I also take Provigil occasionally for daytime sleepiness due to apnea/insomnia/nite terrors, and unlike Ritalin it does not stimulate the body--only the sleepy part of the(my) brain. I'm going to try to not take more than one med and see what happens. Also, as I go thru this hell of zoloft tapering, i make myself jog with the dogs outdoors until i feel the dopamine whatever kicking in. Keep us posted, Trucky

Closed Thread