It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
(male)

Confuse HB User
uncontrollable appetite, SSRIs and antipsychotics...

Lets start with the preliminaries, I'm on 40mg of Celexa and 1 mg of Risperdal, and suffer from mainly depression nowadays. Both Celexa (for depression) and Risperdal (helps me think rationally) are potential culprits to weight gain.

So lately I've been noticing an increasingly compulsive appetite on my part. Its like I'm never satisfied or full; I'm rarely hungry but I eat anyway. Everytime I eat something its out of sheer craving and appetite. I've had serious weight issues in the past so this is a big deal to me. I binge eat at times, but its mostly continuous eating after meals; if I don't eat I become restless and it becomes worse, and if I do eat it I become extremely guilty afterwards. At times I eat because there is nothing else to do, so its a way to pass time, unfortunantly.The things I eat I rarely consider healthy, but they are small snacks or whatever I can find. I tend to have a craving for salty stuff, carbs, or starchy foods.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience on these kinds of meds. I haven't had much luck in the weight department in the past with SSRIs (prozac and paxil), for they were not too kind with weight in my experience. What I question is if its JUST ME or does the medication have something to do with my appetite? Obviously overeating has lots to do with it, but is the medication contributing to this craving and lack of satiety? Weight gain is a huge factor in my depression and my aim is to control it or elimiate it alltogether. I've concluded that I have been eating a lot more lately, so my weight gain is not just out of the blue, but from increased consumption; the question is if the meds are a catalyst for such appetite increase or if I'm just being overly careless and pigging out. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Damian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: uncontrollable appetite, SSRIs and antipsychotics...

The anti-depressant that I am on, clomipramine (generic for Anafranil), is not an SSRI, it's a tricyclic. I highly recommend it. Don't get your hopes up, but my mood was better 48 hours after my first dose. It has mild mood stabilizing qualities too. It has not caused me any weight gain, although since I'm on an ADD drug that is also prescribed as an appetite supressant, that may be a factor.
I hear there is also a drug called Topomax that has a side effect of weight LOSS.
Kristina

Old 01-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
(male)

Confuse HB User
Re: uncontrollable appetite, SSRIs and antipsychotics...

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to either drop Celexa completely or get on another less weight prone AD. Thanks again.

Damian

Old 01-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
Re: uncontrollable appetite, SSRIs and antipsychotics...

ive been on the celexa for a while now and weight has been a huge problem but so has a bad diet and no excercise. if dumping the celexa is not a big deal for you i must warb u too ask ur doc and us how to come off of it slowly as it is pure hell to kick and cold turkey is the worst thing u can do!! trust me ive been there and it took a good 2-3 months to be off of it, the withdrawals were that bad!!! but u can try other meds but most will make u gain weight. im staying on mine and bettering my excercise and food options.

Closed Thread