It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
Clonazepam (or Klonopin) for anxiety/insomnia -- Has anyone tried this?

And so my fun with medications continues...

First, as an update: I'm doing better with the Effexor withdrawal (after only a week), and I'm not having any negative effects from the Wellbutrin (I switched to 300 mg of this a week ago, in case you haven't read my other posts) that I've noticed thus far.

While on Effexor, I'd been taking the generic version of Elavil (amtrypitine or something... I don't feel like getting up to check the bottle, haha) to help me with the anxiety that often causes insomnia for me. It didn't really do much for me, and I ended up taking Tylenol PM for sleep much more often than I should have, probably... Just, I really need to sleep. I'm one of those people who becomes an emotional mess, and basically useful, when I'm not well-rested.

At any rate, my doctor gave me a prescription for clonazepam to replace the Elavil-like amtyipsdfjasldfja;dfl or whatever it is! I was going to see if I could go without taking something before going to bed, because I'd rather not be on more medication than I have to, but a tylenol PM addiction is no good either, and I am really not doing well, sleep-wise.

Anyway, basically, I was wondering if anyone has taken clonazepam for this purpose, how it worked for you, and what your dosage was... Oh dear, I am looking now, and my bottle says it's only for 1 mg. Could this be right?

Thanks for all of your help!

Noel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

jpr604 HB User
Re: Clonazepam (or Klonopin) for anxiety/insomnia -- Has anyone tried this?

Noel;;

Hi, i am new year,..... Wish i had found this sooner... Anyway I am also on klonopin but on 0.5 mg. I take it at bedtime and sometimes during the day. It makes me a little tired but more or less just chills me out..

Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

hmm. so i took it last night, i didn't sleep all that great (as usual) but was able to get through the night without tylenol pm for the first time in forever, and i felt very calm about the fact that i couldn't sleep!

so, i'm not sure if i should keep at it... maybe tomorrow night will be better... any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

jpr604 HB User

I was told to take one at bedtime, to help me sleep and one if needed during the day.... it doesnot make me sleep that much better..... but I have taken ambien and that knocks me out for a good 8 hours..... I see my Dr. tomorrow he wants me to take lexapro but I would rather stay on the just the klonopin. as I have been on prozac before and hated the effects from it....

Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

hmmm, why did my doctor say it would help me sleep, then? ugh, i lose more faith in doctors every day....

The Following User Says Thank You to DKScully For This Useful Post:
Gigirose (12-04-2010)
Old 01-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #6
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Just 0.5mg knocked me out at night and I could barely wake up the next day. I took it for 2 or 3 days and then couldn't stand being so drugged anymore.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineanddandy
Just 0.5mg knocked me out at night and I could barely wake up the next day. I took it for 2 or 3 days and then couldn't stand being so drugged anymore.
Wow, it's strange how these things work. I'm a fairly little girl (or woman... sorry I'm going on 25 and I still feel like a kid) and I definitely don't feel drugged from it at all. I do somewhat before going to bed, but it didn't knock my out by any means, and I feel normal (at least in that respect) in the morning... Of course, I've also been known to take 100mg of whatever the sleep stuff is in Tylenol PM, Nyquil, etc., and still feeling fine in the morning. Honestly that stuff is the only thing that seems to help me sleep, and I was hoping to get on something that was actually approved to be taken on a long-term basis... Oh well, I guess I do have a lot working against me right now, between Effexor withdrawal and starting Wellbutrin, so I suppose all that could be impacting my sleep too... Blah. I am so confused.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Clonazepam (or Klonopin) for anxiety/insomnia -- Has anyone tried this?

I was on Klonopin for awhile; I took it at bedtime to help with sleep and anxiety throughout the coming day. Well, true, you can't really be anxious about stuff if you're knocked out cold (except for nightmares), but I was drugged all the time. It wasn't worth it. Maybe go with Xanax... works quickly and is eliminated quickly. It does have addicting qualities though.
Kristina

Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I'm taking clonazepam and it works just great. I've stayed at the same dosage (0.5 mg) for several years. It makes me sleep just a little bit better - it doesn't "knock me out", just makes me sleepy. And the effects last through the next day - no anxiety symptoms or heart palpitations, no knot in my stomach or throwing up from anxiety. It's been worth it for me!!

Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKScully
Wow, it's strange how these things work. I'm a fairly little girl (or woman... sorry I'm going on 25 and I still feel like a kid) and I definitely don't feel drugged from it at all. I do somewhat before going to bed, but it didn't knock my out by any means, and I feel normal (at least in that respect) in the morning... Of course, I've also been known to take 100mg of whatever the sleep stuff is in Tylenol PM, Nyquil, etc., and still feeling fine in the morning. Honestly that stuff is the only thing that seems to help me sleep, and I was hoping to get on something that was actually approved to be taken on a long-term basis... Oh well, I guess I do have a lot working against me right now, between Effexor withdrawal and starting Wellbutrin, so I suppose all that could be impacting my sleep too... Blah. I am so confused.
I've been down this road. I don't mean to scare you, but klonopin is really an anti-seizure medication and can be very addictive. Sleep/calmness is a side effect. It is a benzodiazepine; other drugs from this family include Valium, Ativan and Xanax. If you take it regularly, you risk tolerance at some point. Tolerance is the brain's defense mechanism, it builds up "opposing" receptors to battle the drug. This can take months or years it's very unpredictable. Once you are tolerant, you can go thru withdrawal like symptoms while still on the med.

Also, you cannot abruptly stop the med if taken daily for a long period because of risk of seizure.

Check out the free online Ashton Manual; it has lots of info on benzodiazepines.

Tolerance is sheer hell. I know, I've been there with ATivan, a cousin of Klonopin. Couldn't sleep for days even though I took it everynight.

Just be careful with benzodiazepines and drugs like it(Ambien is a close drug but not in same family).

Wellbutrin is an adrenaline/dopamine drug which can cause/worsen insomnia I don't know why you are on it if you are having sleep problems!

Effexor can cause insomnia as well....so can withdrawals. In fact, insomnia or sleep disorder is a consistant withdrawal symptom of many different drugs I hear.

Good luck, be careful, read the Ashton stuff, take care....

Old 01-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
I've been down this road. I don't mean to scare you, but klonopin is really an anti-seizure medication and can be very addictive. Sleep/calmness is a side effect. It is a benzodiazepine; other drugs from this family include Valium, Ativan and Xanax. If you take it regularly, you risk tolerance at some point. Tolerance is the brain's defense mechanism, it builds up "opposing" receptors to battle the drug. This can take months or years it's very unpredictable. Once you are tolerant, you can go thru withdrawal like symptoms while still on the med......

Effexor can cause insomnia as well....so can withdrawals. In fact, insomnia or sleep disorder is a consistant withdrawal symptom of many different drugs I hear.

Good luck, be careful, read the Ashton stuff, take care....
I agree with Jennita....

My experience with Clonazepam and Xanax, was that they calmed me down for about an hour -- and then made me twice as anxious as I was to start with. According to my therapist -- some people react this way.

As with everything else.... meds affect everyone differently. Do your research and pay attention to how your body is feeling.

Closed Thread