It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive

pittguy578 HB User
Short Term Disability/Family Leave Act for Depression

Can someone suffering from depression quality for time off under short term disability insurance or FMLA?

I have become severely/burned out depressed due to a number of situations going on in my life. My mother is suffering from a mental illness which is wearing on me..I had a family member die that I still haven't gotten over. My gf and I of two years broke up I hate my job, and my commute is killing me. I would move closer to my job, but I am so ready to quit, that I don't see the point. I don't think my job would be so bad if I wasn't subjected to all these personal issues. I have become severely depressed, and my sleep patterns are really messed up. I can't fall asleep, and I get sick in my stomach on the way into work.. However, it is hard for me to mount a job search when I am so emotionally drained and have very little time.

Any possibility that I could quality for some time off under FMLA or short term disability so that I can relax, maybe go somewhere, recharge my batteries and get cognitive treatment? I am reluctant to go on medication because there are obvious reasons as to why I am feelign the way that I am. I don't think I am suffering from chemical depression. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
(female)

picksie HB User
Re: Short Term Disability/Family Leave Act for Depression

In order to qualify, your Doctor must provide written proof and medical records to support the diagnosis to your Employer and that your illness is precluding you from doing your job and affecting your ability to function. And, of course, that you are undergoing treatment - as far as I know, that definitely includes being medicated and possibly even therapy.

However, if the primary reason for you wanting to take some leave is that you hate your job, I would advise against it. Chances are, if you hate your job that much your performance in some way may be less than usual or there are other things wrong that your boss/manager notices. A lot of people I have seen this happen to go on leave, come back and get fired.

I would advise going to your Dr for help, getting on a mild medication to help you through it and seek some counseling. This way, you might not need to take time off or if you still think you need it, only a short time. The longer you're out of work, the more you will not want to return. It's unfortunate but usually people that go out on "stress leave" are viewed upon differently and often times poorly by their peers and mgmt. when they return and things are never the same.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
(female)

MIpigpen HB User
Re: Short Term Disability/Family Leave Act for Depression

[QUOTE=pittguy578]Can someone suffering from depression quality for time off under short term disability insurance or FMLA?

I took 12 weeks of FMLA for newly diagnosied anxiety disorder and stress. While at work, I had my 1st panic attack and 911 was called...blood preasure 175 over 112 (I'm 33) and my doctor wrote me off. I had continuous treatment, medical and also a therapist once a week. That is what makes it qualify. You can not just take some time off and go for a vacation, you need to take the time off and work on your physical and mental well being. I had the 12 weeks, therapy 2 times a week, meds, blood preasure med..went back to work and 2nd day had my boss yelling at the top of his lungs (no lie) and telling me to get the f*** out of his face. Another panic attack, bp back to 174 over 110...had to have someone take me home...dr. wrote me off for work related stress and they fired me. Against the law, but many people can not fight.

Talk with you HR, and your dr first...but when you take the time, make sure you are using it to help yourself. So much about FMLA. Get some help to undertaqnd it.

Good luck.

Closed Thread