It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

landsknecht HB User
living life free of Efexor XR

Hi I'm a newbie here so hi to all. I've been taking Efexor XR for just over two years now (75mg). I was going through a rough time two years ago and I was unhappy but I got through everything just fine with a few adjustments and without taking any kind of AD at all. I got food poisoning (I think, It was never confirmed though) around this time (just to top things off) and I lost quite a bit of weight. Two weeks later I was getting better, I was resting and eating and just trying to get my physical health back to where it was. Basically after a while I felt really good again. Things had changed, I was happy. The only negative was that I had so much hate for a certain person.

I was enjoying a really nice day down on the beach with my son and my mum when I started to feel really dizzy and weird. I sat down but I started to feel really nauseaus and then I received my first brain click,zap??. Anyway I freaked everyone out and ended up in emergency. After so many tests I was surprised when I was prescribed an antidepressant. To make a long story short this AD has really worked for me but I'm not an unhappy person. I understand the situation concerning brain chemicals etc.

The reason I still take Efexor is because I am terrified of feeling so unreal and weird again. Withdrawl scares me, I was just wondering if anyone has stopped taking Efexor or any other AD and is still completely free and functioning well. The last time I tried to stop I felt exactly the same way I did that day on the beach and people actually thought that I was drunk. Did anyone stop taking Efexor without swapping over to another AD? And for how long did you suffer????? before things became bearable again.

I am thinking of going through a program of exercise and accupuncture while tapering off Efexor. Not just yet but I will let everyone know if that is helpful in anyway. I've heard that the two combined can be very successful. Any thoughts??? Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: living life free of Efexor XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsknecht
Hi I'm a newbie here so hi to all. I've been taking Efexor XR for just over two years now (75mg). I was going through a rough time two years ago and I was unhappy but I got through everything just fine with a few adjustments and without taking any kind of AD at all. I got food poisoning (I think, It was never confirmed though) around this time (just to top things off) and I lost quite a bit of weight. Two weeks later I was getting better, I was resting and eating and just trying to get my physical health back to where it was. Basically after a while I felt really good again. Things had changed, I was happy. The only negative was that I had so much hate for a certain person.

I was enjoying a really nice day down on the beach with my son and my mum when I started to feel really dizzy and weird. I sat down but I started to feel really nauseaus and then I received my first brain click,zap??. Anyway I freaked everyone out and ended up in emergency. After so many tests I was surprised when I was prescribed an antidepressant. To make a long story short this AD has really worked for me but I'm not an unhappy person. I understand the situation concerning brain chemicals etc.

The reason I still take Efexor is because I am terrified of feeling so unreal and weird again. Withdrawl scares me, I was just wondering if anyone has stopped taking Efexor or any other AD and is still completely free and functioning well. The last time I tried to stop I felt exactly the same way I did that day on the beach and people actually thought that I was drunk. Did anyone stop taking Efexor without swapping over to another AD? And for how long did you suffer????? before things became bearable again.

I am thinking of going through a program of exercise and accupuncture while tapering off Efexor. Not just yet but I will let everyone know if that is helpful in anyway. I've heard that the two combined can be very successful. Any thoughts??? Thanks for reading.

There are several of us that have given up ADs, do a search on Effexor and you'll see the threads.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
(male)

grunge1980gr HB User

Hello.I was diagnosed anxiety disorder(with panic crises too) and 'low grade'(not scientific but you get the meaning) depression resulting from my anxiety, 3 years ago.I was prescribed Seroxat 10mg/day for 6 months.Symptoms relieved(panic crises completely stopped immediately) and the only side-effect i could notice was a gain of 10-15 pounds.Depression was gone i guess.Anxiety though was still there.My doctor changed my medicine to Efexor 37,5mg/day immediately without tappering off Seroxat.I underwent that change without any symptoms.So i ve been taking Efexor for about 2,5 years now.The doze was initially 37,5mg/day as my general anxiety-depression disorder was rather mild.However on periods that i felt my anxiety alarming, the doctor raised my doze to 37,5x2 mg/day.That raise could on average last for about 3 months.When the bad perion was gone and i felt better,i returned back to 37,5mg/day.The only side effect Efexor ever caused me was a 'libido disorder' or better say difficulty or no ability sometimes to reach an orgasm.So for the last 2-2,5 years i ve been on Efexor either 37,5mg/day, either 2x37,5mg/day, either 1x75mgXR/day depending on my anxiety's condition.The only unpleasant feeling was when i returned back to 37,5mg/day after the occasional raise to 75mg/day which i mentioned above.I guess it was part of the withdrawal symptoms.The main symptom was that AWFUL ELECTRIC SHOCK on my brain just coming and going away.It always started 4-5 hours before my next doze.When i took my doze,30 mins later the shocks dissapeared.Those symptoms each time lasted for about a week,gradually the 4-5 hours period became shorter until i felt the shocks just one hour before i had to take my next 37,5mg/day doze.Generally i believe i can live without the drugs, so i changed my doctor as I needed a more decisive one or better say a doctor using different techniques or methods.(e.g. a doctor not easily subscribing drugs for mild situations like mine).So i 'm now seeing a cognitive behavioral psychiatrist.He told me to stop Efexor and that I need no drugs.So while i was on a 2x37,5mg/day doze he told me to reduce it immediately at 1X37,5mg/day doze.I said ok,after all i had done that thing again in the past.After the 7th day i had to take 1x75mgXR/2 days instead of 37,5mg/day because the 37,5mg Efexor stopped being on the market where i live at least.So I am now on day three of 75mgXR/2days.The electric shocks start 5-6 hours before my next doze.They are worse now.When i take the next doze the symptom remains for another 2-3 hours as the XR slowly dissolves in the stomach and passes even more slowly in the blood.So i get a total of 5-9hours/2days of AWFUL electric brain shocks.I think sweating,urge to vomit,nausea and anxiety have also added to the brain shocks.I am determined to continue the withdrawal.However the symptoms are so bad.I hate my ex doctor.when i was telling him about the electric shocks he kept telling me there is no such side-effect with EFEXOR.Do they think they know everything??Even at a such low doze my withdrawal symptoms are so uncomfy.I can't do anything while i got the symptoms.And whoever tells you you feel like that because anxiety or depression just come back,don't believe them!They are the ones needing Efexor if they say that ****!My next step will be to lower my doze to 75mgXR/3days and i think this will happen in a week or two from now.I am optimistic,generally feel strong as i am determined to stop that mind-controlling poison called Efexor.Hope i will have stopped it completely in 2 months from now.Wish me good luck people!I hope my story helped people on Efexor and stopped the ones not taking it from even starting it Find another drug pls for your own good!I ll try to keep in touch and give details on my effort to withdraw.Stay or at least get STRONG!!

Old 06-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

xpax HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsknecht

Welcome landsknecht! Try to get something other than EffexorXR!

My psych is very good with me. I have a chronic depression with high anxiety. He recently prescribed EffexorXR for me, but it amplified a reaction to a previous AD where my tongue was wagging so much it literally hurt from the exercise!

So I pray I got off it in time for it not to have set in to my brain like it has for so many people. I haven't had any brain zaps yet, (my psych warned me about them) and I pray again that I don't get them.

Do what you think is best, I say. We can only do what we can do.

Blessings, xpax

Old 06-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

a_blue_nowhere HB User

when u say tongue was wagging..do u mean talking all the time?

Closed Thread