It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

Heavensent102 HB User
Lorazepam???? GOOD or BAD??

My doctor put me on Lorazepam today and I was just wondering if anyone had any sucess with it? it is for anxiety although i suffer mild depression aswell. I was just wondering.. Any input appreciated thanx

Old 01-13-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Lorazepam???? GOOD or BAD??

I used Lorazepam several years ago. I didnt have any problems with the side effects
it just didnt seem to help, however Im kind of wondering if the dose needed to be higher, because I've talked to other people who found it very helpful. Hope it works
for you. Take Care, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

I was given Lorazepam the same time as my ad's. It's hard to tell exactly what my reaction was to Lorazapam. Because using the two new medications at the same time i was just well stoned. I was given the lorazapam to help keep me calm. I couldn't get any control over my sad emotions, and a bit of anger. Anyway later after i was settled a bit, i used the lorazapam at night to help me relax and fall asleep. It was a savor for me. I still have my first bottle and haven't use them in about a mnth, i was worried at one time i needed them to sleep. I don't but i'll keep them and use them on an as needed basis. Once my body got used to them there was no stoned feeling.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

2angelwings HB User

It didn't even begin to touch my anxiety. I have to warn you, I must have anxiety that is real hard to treat because I tried a few others before switching over to lorazepam. I just got switched over to valium and I am hoping and praying to God that this one will work for me. It does seem to control the anxiety a little bit better and my dr said to give it a good 5 days to fully get in my system before I make any judgements about it. I just wished I could get to the point to where the medicine fully took care of my anxiety so I didn't have to feel so bad all the time.

Good luck to you. I just got out of the hospital and they did use lorazepam or risperdal for anxiety attacks in addition to any meds a person was on.

Hopefully you will have better luck than I did with it.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

HImom HB User

Lorazepam/Ativan is a benzodiazepam (sp). It works for the short run, aleviating the anxiety. It won't treat depression, although sometimes enough good sleep may give it a good kick. It's for short term use, as prescribed, according to rxlist 2 or 3 times a day. Can help with sleep as well as daytime anxiety.

H

Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User

My doc put me on lorazepam for stress/anxiety. he also said maybe I was depressed. It was basically to help me fall asleep at night and calm me down during the day if needed. Unfortunatley for me, I smoked marijuana as well so I'm not really sure if i got the full effect from it. However when at times I didn't have anything to smoke, I took a pill and it did calm me down. And I took it every night when i went to bed and it did help me sleep better. What's weird is that I was just told in October that i have IBS and my doc didn't say anything about stopping or that it was only for short term. i haven't taken it in about a month (i was going to school and so i was tired at night and had to get up early anyway so i stopped taking it) I still have some left as well and I think I'll hang on to them in case I need them some day.
So i guess it worked fairly well for me (aside from the marijuana) cause when i didn't have any i took a pill, and it did calm me down for awhile.

Good luck to you

Old 01-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

pinkangel670 HB User

I've taken Lorazepam/Ativan on and off for the past 3 years for panic attacks and sleep. I built up a tolerance with them after a couple weeks using it as a sleeping pill, so now I'm on a nonaddictive one for sleep. I've only had one instance that it didn't stop or lessen a panic attack. I only usually need 1/2 a pill (0.25 mg) once but have a prescription for 3 x 0.5 a day if needed. I personally really like this med because it works for me. Good luck!
~pink

Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Valium,and Diazepam are the same. Diazepam are generic form of Valium.
Diazepam is used for the short-term relief of symptoms related to anxiety disorders. Diazepam is also used for the treatment of agitation, tremors, delirium, seizures, and hallucinations as a result of alcohol withdrawal. Diazepam is also used for relief of muscle spasms in certain neurological diseases. Diazepam is used to abort active seizures and can be combined with other drugs in treating severe recurrent seizures.
Lorazepam is also used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, epilepsy, insomnia, and nausea and vomiting from cancer treatment and to control agitation caused by alcohol withdrawal. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this drug for your condition.
Each are the same but for some people one can work better with their body chemistry.
Valium is namebrand for Lorazepam. Lorazepam is valium too but with more of one ingredient than the others.Valium and Diazepam did nothing for me but the Lorazepam did. I take it when I feel a migrain coming on.
If you take any of these things they say it will make you more sleepy. antihistamines; digoxin (Lanoxin); levodopa (Larodopa, Sinemet); medications for depression, seizures, pain, Parkinson's disease, asthma, colds, or allergies; muscle relaxants; oral contraceptives; probenecid (Benemid); rifampin (Rifadin); sedatives; sleeping pills; theophylline (Theo-Dur); tranquilizers; valproic acid (Depakene); and vitamins. These medications may add to the drowsiness caused by lorazepam.
However I have taken 2 sleeping pills and a melation with Lorzaepam and still did not sleep. I am an insomanic. It all depends on your body chemistry if things will work with you or not. Xanax makes me hyper instead of calming me down.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 01-14-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Ativan is name brand for Lorazepam It is an antianxiety medication in the benzodiazepine family, the same family that includes diazepam (Valium), alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonopin), flurazepam (Dalmane), and others. Lorazepam and other benzodiazepines act by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA is a neurotransmitter, a chemical that nerves in the brain use to send messages to one another. GABA inhibits activity in many of the nerves of the brain, and it is thought that this excessive activity is what causes anxiety or other psychological disorders. Because lorazepam is removed from the blood more rapidly than many other benzodiazepines, there is less chance that lorazepam concentrations in blood will reach high levels and become toxic. Lorazepam has fewer interactions with other medications than most of the other benzodiazepines.

Jenteal

Old 01-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have suffered with sporadic panic attacks and depression. I am currently taking Lorazepam o.5 mg at night. I take 225 mg of Effexor XR in the mornings. It has worked wonders for me. I no longer have the panic attacks and the Effexor is elevating my moods so that I am not feeling blue all the time. I use to experience major anxiety when I had to speak in meetings but I have noticed that I am a lot calmer and able to concentrate on my work. I have tried both Zoloft and Lexapro but could not stand the side effects.

My doctor told me to increase the Lorazepam as needed, i.e.: one dose of 0.5 in the morning and 0.5 mg at night. Everyone reacts differently to these medications so give it a chance and notify your doctor if you have severe side effects or not feeling any better.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
(female)

Heavensent102 HB User

Okay, Thank all of you.. wow a lot of replies in just one day very much appreciated!
Well My doctor perscribed half a pill of loraspam but in the morning before school. She said that it usualy helps people wake up, or makes you tired?!?!? and many of you put that you were taking it at night... which is kinda weird. Well I took it today for the first time and to tell you the truth I dont think I really noticed it... I found that I was mellow, and in a pretty good mood overall, but some days im just normaly like that. Anyways I also have mild depression as I said earlier and I am going to see a physciatrist (however you spell it..) sometime next week... My doctor said that he might perscribe me something different... so I guess my question is... Is it okay to be taking these medications and is it okay to change them? I am really healthy and I heard that any medication over a long period of time can cause damage to your liver. Does any one have any kind of idea as to how long I might have to take Loraspam, or if he puts me on anti depressants?
Thanx a lot guys... I really know nothing about this,
xoxox Heaven

Old 01-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensent102
My doctor put me on Lorazepam today and I was just wondering if anyone had any sucess with it? it is for anxiety although i suffer mild depression aswell. I was just wondering.. Any input appreciated thanx
Look up the free online manual, the Ashton Manual for information.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
(female)

HImom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensent102
Is it okay to be taking these medications and is it okay to change them? I am really healthy and I heard that any medication over a long period of time can cause damage to your liver. Does any one have any kind of idea as to how long I might have to take Loraspam, or if he puts me on anti depressants?
Thanx a lot guys... I really know nothing about this,
xoxox Heaven
Hi

It's not necessary to take these meds for a long period of time. If this is your first experience with them, it's less likely still.

You may be taking the lorazapam to help with anxiety while your psychiatrist starts you on an antidepressant if that's needed. The antidepressants are also good at treating anxiety, and a better choice as they are not noted to be addictive. Usually, meds like lorazepam are for less than 3 months, although that's not always the case, as you may have seen here. When or if you start an antidepressant the lorazepam can help with the inital side effects which MAY include increased anxiety or insomnia. BUT that all lightens up or disappears usually within a week or so.

For antidepressants, it's generally 6 months to a year for the full benefit. Your psychiatrist is an MD who then went on to further schooling to be trained in mental health and meds. S/he should answer all of your questions too. Write them down, or print out your posts and take them along so you don't forget what you wanted to ask.

ONE antidepressant was taken off the market for concerns about liver damage. That was Serzone.

It is scary starting meds that you never dreamed you would need in your lifetime, but they really can make a huge positive difference.

H

Old 01-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #14
(female)

Heavensent102 HB User

alright now she has me on
NOVO-PAROXETINE 20mg. half a day for eight days and then a full one everyday.
Again does anyone know anything about this drug or any sucess with it? Thank u all so much! ur angels!
xox heaven

Old 01-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
(female)

HImom HB User

Yes, that's Paxil, at a half of an initial dose, then an initial dose. What did she say about the loraz? THis med works well for many people. You may find 20 mg. will be fine, or you may find later on that it's "not working". That usually means it's not an optimal dose for you. Work closely with your doc--that's what they are there for.

The one thing people mention as important, when the time comes, taper off it S-L-O-W-L-Y. They even have drops to make the tapering so slow as to be drop by drop. ...just in case. I know some moms who are very pleased with their Paxil.

Let us know how it goes.

H

Closed Thread