It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

emmy27 HB User
Is paxil making me sleepy?

I just started taking paxil two weeks ago and it seems like every day I feel more tired than the day before. I've also been really, really hungry lately, which I'm wondering is being caused by the drug. I read the side effects associated with paxil and know that sleepiness is one of them. I don't want to stop taking it if these are side effects that will wear off after a few weeks. I've read other side effects that are much worse and haven't experienced any of them, which makes me hesitant to switch to another drug before giving this one more time.
Has anyone felt like this? If so, how long did it take to adjust to the drug? How long does it take before you actually feel OK?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

sweeterthan HB User
Re: Is paxil making me sleepy?

First of all I have to warn you that Paxil is the drug from hell.
The sleepiness you are having is most likely a side effect from the drug. I know this because I am on Paxil and am in the process of being tapered off of it because I did not like the side effects I was experiencing and when I encountered the withdrawal symptoms I was very upset.
I used to want to sleep constantly when I took 25mg of paxil cr. I took it in the morning. Now I am taking 12.5 mg of it and I only take it at night. I'm not as sleepy anymore.
Let me warn you about the withdrawal symptoms and the fact that paxil is the worst antidepressant to stop taking. I can't even say stop taking it because you will have the worst symptoms ever, dizziness, nausea, body shocks, shaking, tremor...Its horrible. When you want to stop taking Paxil you have to very slowly be tapered off or you will experience those side effects. Well with any SSRI you have to be tapered off of it. I made the mistake of just not taking it one day because I was angry and 2 days later I went into withdrawal. But you can still have the withdrawal symptoms after you have been tapered off correctly, thats the scary thing.
Everyone is different but I did my research and found out alot of people who were properly tapered off paxil still have side effects months and years after taking it... This drug should be taken off the market. Its horrilble!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
(female)

HImom HB User

emmy,

It could be making you sleepy, either as an initial side effect or maybe longer term. Use it to your advantage and take it at night. Weight gain can be a side effect of any of the SSRI antidepressants. Or it can be weight loss, or no change at all. It is very individual from person to person and med to med.

The same is true about tapering off the Paxil later on. Some people have very little trouble, and more people than average need to go off it V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y and under the care of a competant psychiatrist. Paxil comes in drop form as well as pills. The drops are for tapering off. I know moms who are very pleased with Paxil, and some that are not. Let your own experience be your guide. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

H

Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #4

DD17 HB User

Standing up for Paxil...."Sweeter.." that is a pretty blanket and unfair statement to make of Paxil, especially to someone who just got on the medication. I was on Paxil for over 7 years. The only reason I have decided to switch is for the sexual side effects- now that I'm in a loving relationship, I wanted to try something differnt. Paxil was my wonder drug. We all aren't going to have the same responses and side effects and it's important to remember that.

"Emmy.." it took 2 weeks, maybe ever the first week before I felt an over-all calming effect- and no, not a drugged stupper. My parents really noticed it because for the first time in my life I could have an argument without losing control. I think most times the people around you notice the change first. In "our" state of mind, we don't like to think or believe we could be changing for the better. It took one month exactly for the "fog" to lift and I could for once in my life feel generally "good" about my life. Are you taking it at night or morning? Again all our reactions are going to be different, you say you're hungry all the time and I lost my appetite and was never hungry. I wouldn't switch IMO, the more you switch the more you will not let the "real" side of the medication do it's job. Good Luck. D

Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Is paxil making me sleepy?

I definitely want to second what DD said... personally Paxil made me really anxious, but there are enough people out there who have taken the drug and had success with it that there is nowhere near enough evidence that it should be pulled from the market.
Your body chemistry is unique. No treatment will work or fail in you exactly the same as anybody else... not even if you have an identical twin. In a lot of people's experiences such as my own, many, many more treatments may fail than work. You must keep trying.
And yes, some side effects do wear off and/or you get used to them. If they continue to be problematic, you could always switch to another drug. There are tons and tons out there, in virtually infinitely many combinations and dosages.
Never give up!
Kristina

Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
(female)

emmy27 HB User

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate the responses they were very helpful.
I have been taking Paxil in the mornings for almost 3 weeks now. I'm seeing my doctor on a weekly basis while I get used to the medication, so this week I'll ask about taking it at night. For some reason this week has been hell for me for no reason at all. The first two weeks I felt a lot better, so I'm wondering whether it's going to work for me or if I just need a higher dose.
I started taking it partly b/c I just don't want to wake up anymore. I've always been a morning person but lately I just can't wake up. I could literally sleep all day long if I had the opportunity. I saw a doctor b/c I knew that this wasn't like me. I used to go to the gym everyday, now all I do is sleep and cry and feel miserable about all the sleeping and crying that I do. I've always had feelings of depression, it's just never prohibited me from doing things until recently, it just keeps getting worse.
D, you mentioned taking another drug b/c of the sexual side effect paxil was giving you. What are you taking? I've had a low sex drive from being on birth control pills, and now I've noticed it plunge even lower from the paxil. I'm 23, not ready for kids yet, and have been in a serious relationship for over 5 years. So there is really no way around the birth control just yet. I should be in my prime right now, instead I just want to sleep my life away.

Last edited by emmy27; 01-18-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #7

gut HB User

paxil will make you tired but after a while you will get use to it and you wont feel as tired.you say you take it in the morning ask your doc and tell him or her its making you to tired and you want to take it before bed.this way you wont be as tired in the day.also how many mg you taking?you taking the regular paxil or paxil cr?you should feel better after about a month but some people take 6 weeks to feel normal again so hang in there things will get better but it takes time you may even feel better in a few days.i know how you feel i be taking paxil for years and it really helps.as far as the sex drive thats just what it does dont worry about it just worry about getting better.wouldnt you rather feel better in your head?or would you not wanna feel better and have sex?i hope you pick feeling better in your head thats the most important but you will get use to that to after a while.i know how you feel i use to cry all the time to but that will go away after the paxil kicks in so give it some time i know its hard but it will work after a while.i also understand the feeling of not wanting to wake up thats what i do.you get so sad all you wanna do is sleep and forget and its hell i know boy do i know.i just wanna let you know your not alone.i have been there and it really sux i know.but remember your not alone.hang in there.god bless you.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #8

DD17 HB User

Hey again Emmy..
Your situation sounds a lot like mine did. - The longer version of my story is on another thread- "Paxil Success Stories".... but Ever since I was 10 years old I knew I was depressed, but I couldn't tell my parents that. Depression was looked at having to come from an "Outside", physical happening- It hasn't been that long that people and doctors finally realized that it comes from within, and it's not a CHOICE! I used to love it when people use to think that I was choosing to act the way I did and that I liked hating everything around me.

Gut brings up a good point that I stood by for years, and still do- Is sex more important than your well-being. I told people I'd rather feel great for the majority of my life then to experience the big O for a couple of seconds! How do you ever measure that, LOL!
And it's not that I can't have them, it just takes a little mechanical intervention (yikes, I can't believe I'm posting this).-----I don't blame Paxil for my lack of a sex drive, I know I have a lot of hang ups and emotional crap to get through.
I've been on Effexor for a week and a 1/2 now- not long enough to really judge, but I can say I have gotten a little more "interest" and "feeling" in that area.
I was worried about, but went on birth control pills for 4 months. They did not work well with me, seemed like on the 4th month every side effect listed hit me at once- worst being the sever depression. The only good side effect for me on Yasmin was that my boobs got a lot bigger!
When do you take your BC Pills? I had to take mine in the AM just to remember them and change my Paxil to PM, which I forgot to take some of the time.
I'll keep you posted how I do on the Effexor, but for now, I think you should stay on the Paxil, give it a little more time and ask the doc about switching it to PMs.

D

Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
(female)

Meridith HB User

Emmy if the only side effect you are having is sleepiness you are doing great. This will subside and maybe take it early evening instead of AM. I have been on a low dose of Paxil for about 4 weeks and am feeling better everyday. I was sleepier the first week or two, but I welcomed the extra sleep. (Much catching up was needed.) I hope you do well and feel better.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
(female)

emmy27 HB User

Thanks so much for the support. I've been visiting the site for a few months now, but haven't really posted anything. It's nice to know that people are out there who really understand what this feels like.
It's so hard to describe that 'ugh' feeling you get all the time, especially when your life seems so perfect to everyone you know.
Right now I'm taking 12.5 mg of paxil cr and I can't wait to not feel that awful feeling anymore.
I agree completely about the sex thing, that my mental health is way more important than a sex drive. Seriously, if I keep feeling like I do I'm not going to be thinking about sex anyway. It's just that I feel guilty about everything, all the time. I'm my own worste enemy. I feel like b/c I don't want to have sex that I'm a bad girlfriend. Especially since my boyfriend grabs me ALL THE TIME, which I guess is better than not grabbing me at all. Are all boys like this? I feel like I'm lucky to get all of the attention from him that I do. I just wish I could reciprocate some of the ... um attention ... back his way. Thanks again for the support. Keep me posted on how you all are doing.

Last edited by emmy27; 01-19-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #11

DD17 HB User

Hmmm, 12.5mg is a pretty low dose. If I remember correctly I was put on 20 MG from the get go. And I took it at night, soon I was able to sleep again at NIGHT when I was supposed to. Before I got on Paxil I was drinking Nyqil and taking sleeping pills just to go to sleep...
Does your boyfriend understand and know what you are going through?

Old 01-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
(female)

emmy27 HB User

I thought that it seemed kind of low. At first I felt great, but this week has been so hard. My appointment is tomorrow, so I'll talk to my doctor about uping the dose.
My boyfriend is happy that I'm getting help, he's seen me at my worst, so he kind of understands what I'm going through, but I don't really think that he gets it. I try to explain, but .... I don't know. I have a feeling that he is also depressed. However, I can't even begin to scratch that surface until I help myself first. We often have long talks about the state of the world and how complicated and frustrating and f***ed up it all is. This really gets him down a lot and he tends to escape by smoking, which worries me because he's using something to escape. We both agree that he has to quit once we have kids, but I think it's going to be a lot harder than we can even begin to imagine. I need to fix myself now so I can help him later and be there for my children when we are ready to have them. Thanks again for the support.

Closed Thread