It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

Schecky HB User
Question ZOLOFT - Long Term Effects????

I was just wondering if there were any long term use effects for Zoloft. I take 50mg daily and I am starting to worry about the future.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

lelelee HB User
Re: ZOLOFT - Long Term Effects????

Hi, I don't know about any long term effects, but I have been taking zoloft for over a year and I love it! It is a life saver for me, I can now have an adult conversation without tearing up over anything and everything. I am going to my doctor next week I will ask her about long term effects, but at this point I am not willing to give it up!! I hope it helps you as well, and that there are NO long term effects! have a great day, anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecky
I was just wondering if there were any long term use effects for Zoloft. I take 50mg daily and I am starting to worry about the future.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!
THere was a study done that indicated serotonin receptor damage from long term use and neurological movement disorders have been connected to SSRi's.

The serotonin receptor damage study is fairly new and they don't yet know the dosage or length of time it would take to cause it they predicted around 8-10 years use. It needs to be studied further.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
THere was a study done that indicated serotonin receptor damage from long term use and neurological movement disorders have been connected to SSRi's.

The serotonin receptor damage study is fairly new and they don't yet know the dosage or length of time it would take to cause it they predicted around 8-10 years use. It needs to be studied further.
That stinks considering I took ADs for 10+ years.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
That stinks considering I took ADs for 10+ years.

Yeah, it does stink. However, they know the brain can recover/repair, it has a survival instinct the other organs don't.

I know a guy at my gym who had brain surgery, he had a tumor! Talk about brain damage, yet he was told by doctors the brain will learn to make up for his loss, or branch out new "pathways".....luckily, no large area enough to be major was affected, I know if some people were to lose a large portion of the brain with important fuctions like speech and such, that would be different but the area was smaller and his functions not effected.

But the chemical damage drugs cause I hear can be recovered by the brain easier, problem is, it's much more complicated than a broken bone and takes alot longer. Sometimes it seems people never wait it out and end up on more drugs which never allows the brain to do it's recovery. Can't blame them, it's hard to wait for a year or sometimes longer with symptoms that are very uncomfortable.

Anyway, the guy is getting stronger and healthier, he was thin and frail after his surgery. It's nice to see even someone who went through such a brain trauma could recover so well, so I feel there is hope for anyone going through chemical drug recovery!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
Yeah, it does stink. However, they know the brain can recover/repair, it has a survival instinct the other organs don't.

I know a guy at my gym who had brain surgery, he had a tumor! Talk about brain damage, yet he was told by doctors the brain will learn to make up for his loss, or branch out new "pathways".....luckily, no large area enough to be major was affected, I know if some people were to lose a large portion of the brain with important fuctions like speech and such, that would be different but the area was smaller and his functions not effected.

But the chemical damage drugs cause I hear can be recovered by the brain easier, problem is, it's much more complicated than a broken bone and takes alot longer. Sometimes it seems people never wait it out and end up on more drugs which never allows the brain to do it's recovery. Can't blame them, it's hard to wait for a year or sometimes longer with symptoms that are very uncomfortable.

Anyway, the guy is getting stronger and healthier, he was thin and frail after his surgery. It's nice to see even someone who went through such a brain trauma could recover so well, so I feel there is hope for anyone going through chemical drug recovery!
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I've been having a constant headache for two weeks now (I've been off ADS 4-1/2 months). Do you think that is part of the protracted withdrawal? (Oh... and my teeth hurt... I went to my dentist and there is nothing going on with my teeth.)

Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
(female)

holst HB User

Thanks again Jennita for your encouraging post.I hope you are right about the brain being able to repair itself eventually. I was one of those people who couldn't wait it out and ended up on Lexapro because of the intense anxiety/panic that occurred 4 months after I stopped Zoloft. I am hoping that eventually I'll be able to get off Lexapro and get my brain back to what it was before I went on drugs. To tell you the truth, I don't know what is the drugs, the side effects, withdrawal effects or if I actually have a chemical imbalance. I felt like I could handle anything before Zoloft, and now I get panic symptoms that literally knock me on my bum.

Good luck, Sickofeffexor! I've been following your progress - your posts are encouraging to me too!

Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holst

Good luck, Sickofeffexor! I've been following your progress - your posts are encouraging to me too!
Thank you! That really means a lot to me!!

Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User

For the record, it's been four years since I stopped taking Zoloft and I'm back to my own self. Those nasty symptoms will eventually go away.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #10

lohrewok HB User

Hi! I took zoloft 200 mg for about 5 years. That was about 4 years back when I stopped and have never had any bad effects.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Thanks again Jennita for your encouraging post.I hope you are right about the brain being able to repair itself eventually. I was one of those people who couldn't wait it out and ended up on Lexapro because of the intense anxiety/panic that occurred 4 months after I stopped Zoloft. I am hoping that eventually I'll be able to get off Lexapro and get my brain back to what it was before I went on drugs. To tell you the truth, I don't know what is the drugs, the side effects, withdrawal effects or if I actually have a chemical imbalance. I felt like I could handle anything before Zoloft, and now I get panic symptoms that literally knock me on my bum.

As you can see here, a few posters have recovered nicely! Yes, 4 months out isn't very long. Dr. Peter Breggin mentions a 12-18 month scenario as average for most drugs and most people....some recover sooner, or have no severe withdrawals, and some could last longer.

Benzodiazepines are the ONLY drugs they know of that can have a syndrome of recovery lasting several years, but even some people who took them recover within a year, it's all very unpredictable per case, person, drug, dosage, combos, etc, etc.

I'm thinking one must give it at least a year, or maybe the 18 months, when it comes to AD's, before blaming other causes like Breggin suggests.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I've been having a constant headache for two weeks now (I've been off ADS 4-1/2 months). Do you think that is part of the protracted withdrawal? (Oh... and my teeth hurt... I went to my dentist and there is nothing going on with my teeth.)
Oh, sure, I've heard of those symptoms in withdrawal, alot of headache complaints and tooth pain... usually from the stress of recovery, the jaw clenches in our sleep...although IMHO, I think the whole thing should be called protracted recovery instead of protracted withdrawal, since technically "withdrawal" itself just means the amount of time it takes for the drug to leave the body.

I think that's why docs insist it should all be over in a few weeks, they concentrate on "withdrawal" only but not on the aftermath of repair; the brain must recover from chemical use and while it does, withdrawal symptoms continue to occur although the drug is all gone.....

Now, why do the think that the brain can recover from drugs that alter it's very pathways/receptors/function in a short time? Didn't they remember that former LSD users would sometimes have flashbacks up to 10 years later? That shows how slow the brain is to recover from alterations sometimes, they don't blame the flashbacks on another disease, do they? And yet some LSD users recovered sooner. Again, unpredictable.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i took zoloft for about 3 months and then came off when i found out about this stuff. it scared the hell out of me. i just thought whats the point of replacing one brain problem with another? i'm now educating myself all the time about natural alternatives. does anyone reckon that much damage would have been done at all by taking the drugs for 3 months? i feel a tingling in my limbs but also feel kinda numb sometimes. i think this is normal as a withdrawal syptom. how long do you reckon it'll last considering i was only on the meds for 3 months? i so wish i had never gone on the stuff. the docs tell you its good for depression but never tell you about how it can screw up your system. the drugs companies are *******s in my eyes.

alex.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
(female)

holst HB User

Well, I'm starting to feel like I'm one of the unlucky ones. My anxiety/panic/gastrointestinal symptoms were so bad, I would wake up with the dry heaves and go down from there. I lost 20 pounds because I couldn't eat. I don't know how to get through symptoms like that for 12-18 months - they were too severe to even work. That's when I started xanax too, but it didn't even help that much. If that's what I'm going to have to go through to be off the antidepressants, I'm afraid I'll never be off.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Well, I'm starting to feel like I'm one of the unlucky ones. My anxiety/panic/gastrointestinal symptoms were so bad, I would wake up with the dry heaves and go down from there. I lost 20 pounds because I couldn't eat. I don't know how to get through symptoms like that for 12-18 months - they were too severe to even work. That's when I started xanax too, but it didn't even help that much. If that's what I'm going to have to go through to be off the antidepressants, I'm afraid I'll never be off.

Whooops, woo, sorry! Forgot to mention that during that 12-18 months, the symptoms are not constant! They get better and better, may flare up temporarily, then get better again. They can disappear quite suddenly, or slowly ease up. It varies.

I did not mean people have the same intensity the whole 12-18 months. God, that would definately be impossible, wouldn't it?

I should have mentioned that. Sorry, my fault.

Closed Thread