It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #1

Cyndee HB User
How do I switch ADs: Lexapro to Wellbutrin

My dr. has had me on Lexapro for months. I have complained about the side effects (sexual and weight gain) and she wanted me to INCREASE my dosage. I saw my OB/GYN yesterday who recommended Wellbutrin XL. I originally told my psych. I wanted Wellbutrin XL, but she refused it saying Lexapro has no side effects. My OB/GYN couldn't believe my psych. would refuse me a certain medication and is willing to write me a prescription and recommend a new psych.

Do I have to wean myself off Lexapro before I start Wellbutrin XL -- or can I just start it and throw out the Lexapro? Help! Also, any comments on Wellbutrin XL are welcome and appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
(female)

Meg8605 HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do I switch ADs: Lexapro to Wellbutrin

What a weird coincidence that I JUST switch from Lexapro to Wellbutrin XL about a month ago. Yes you do have to ween yourself off Lexapro first. For the first week of weening off Lexapro, you cut the Lexapro in half and take that, and then take one Wellbutrin Xl at 150 milligrams.Continue that for the whole week. The next week, you cut the Lexapro into 4ths and take one of those everyday, and the 150 of Wellbutrin XL. After that, you stop the Lexapro all together and start taking a higher dose of Wellburtin. I got bumped up to 300 mg, but it may be different for you.The highest the Wellbutrin goes is to 450 mg. The first month you take Wellburtin XL, you are going to notice side effects. For me, it was dizziness and feeling sick, especially after eating. I am glad I stuck with it though, because this medicine is really working for me! It is also helping me with the weight I gained while on Lexapro. I've already lost 19 pounds Hope this helps!

Last edited by Meg8605; 02-08-2005 at 11:05 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Meg8605:
salpal87 (08-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
(male)

CtRich HB User
Re: How do I switch ADs: Lexapro to Wellbutrin

I gained 35 pounds while on lexapro. I'm now on 150mg Wellbutrin and feel great.
The lexapro really killed my sex drive and function.
Good luck

Closed Thread