It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

sammy726 HB User
Has anyone gained weight on Effexor XR?

I was prescribed Effexor XR by my doctor and I'm trying to lose weight so I want to make sure it won't interfere with my weight loss. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #2

DD17 HB User
Re: Has anyone gained weight on Effexor XR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy726
I was prescribed Effexor XR by my doctor and I'm trying to lose weight so I want to make sure it won't interfere with my weight loss. Thanks!
I just switched from Paxil to Effexor a month ago. Paxil made me loose my appetite 7 years ago so I didn't gain ANY wait from it....

Then I got a bfriend and you know howthat goes, you eat out more, drink more ect... so I gained some weight over the past 6 months.....

Anyway, I first noticed that Effexor makes me hungry - but remember that it's not "true" hunger, ya know? I've just been watching what I eat and when I get the hunger feeling out of no where I drink lots of water.... it also helped since I have started taking my Effexor at bedtime..... when do you take yours?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

sammy726 HB User

Oh my gosh, I'm in the "boyfriend weight gain" situation too! The going out to eat, fast food, drinking, and no exercise has caught up with me the past year. Anyway, I need to lose 30 lbs, but I'm hoping the anti-depressants will help with my compulsive eating too so I can start losing some weight. I was prescribed the Effexor in September, but I quit taking it after 3 days because it was making me sick to my stomach, but this time I'm going to stick with it. I'm going to start by taking it in the morning with breakfast and see how that goes.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

tahari01 HB User

I have been on Effexor XR since June of 2004. I started on 75mg and in October, my psych doc upped it to 150mg for really no apparent reason to me. Anyway, I have noticed since taking the stronger dose, I have gained 25 pounds! It's making me want to sleep all the time too. So when I went to my psych appt today, I asked him to decrease my dosage back to 75mg. He didn't want to at all, but did. I'm hoping I can start losing weight instead of gaining! Also, I suffer from insomnia so I take Ambien for that. I have been trying to find a post for insomnia and ambien, but I can't find one here. I want to know what type of withdrawels anyone may have had with stopping effexor xr and/or ambien...thanks.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

My psychiatrist said that some people gain weight on Effexor, but that it's more common to lose weight. I've gained 10 pounds in the year I've been on it, but I've also been a lot less active, so I can't say if it's related to the meds. (I've been on 150 mg.)

Old 02-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
(male)

son1981 HB User

yeah gaining weight on effexor ir more rare then most of the ssri meds

Old 02-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #7

DD17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy726
Oh my gosh, I'm in the "boyfriend weight gain" situation too! The going out to eat, fast food, drinking, and no exercise has caught up with me the past year. Anyway, I need to lose 30 lbs, but I'm hoping the anti-depressants will help with my compulsive eating too so I can start losing some weight. I was prescribed the Effexor in September, but I quit taking it after 3 days because it was making me sick to my stomach, but this time I'm going to stick with it. I'm going to start by taking it in the morning with breakfast and see how that goes.

Blame in on the boyfriends jk, Like I said earlier, I was hungry when I took it in the morning time. I don't notice it so much now that I take it at night.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison1981
yeah gaining weight on effexor ir more rare then most of the ssri meds

That's not true according to the circle of people I know that have or are taking it.... including me.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
(female)

tahari01 HB User

Yeah, and all the research I've done online on Effexor (I'm a research geek) all points to it making you gain weight. It's a proven fact and if you read the insert that most pharmacies give you with your medicine, you'll see on there too that it can make you gain weight.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
(female)

llh973 HB User

I took effexor xr 37.5 mg for about a year and a half and I didn't gain any weight. I felt less hungry when I took it. I recently had another bad episode of depression, still dealing with it, and my doc upped me to 75mg then a week later to 150mg. I took the 150 mg for two weeks with no apparent help with my depression. My doc just changed my meds to paxil cr and I hope it works fast. I cannot take this any longer. I hope everything works okay for you. But the effexor did not work for me, also I had really bad night sweats and chills at the same time. I would wake up sweating profusly and cold at the same time.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I thought effexor xr was supposed to give you more energy, similar to wellbutrin. I just got prescribed effexor and weight gain is the last thing I want to hear! Oh no!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #12
(male)

misanthrope HB User

I've gained weight on Effexor...around 20 pounds I'd say. And it makes me really tired, which means I am lazy and will eat any crap junk food that is within my reach.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #13
(female)

holden's_mom HB User

Hi there. I was on efexor for 2 yrs, then another 6 mths and I put on 25kgs. I was on 225mgs which is a reasonably high dose. After I beat my depression (severe) I was put on a weight loss drug to try and rid of the weight I put on. I was that desperate to lose weight that I weaned myself off the efexor, not knowing how I wld cope, but I found that losing the excess weight also helped my depression. Don't get me wrong, efexor was the best thing that happened to me and I went down a pretty rottern path before hand> But if you put on weight rapidly then I suggest that when you are well enough to come off them then you, too, concentrate on losing the extra pounds that the efexor made you gain

Lastly I wld not give up efexor xr for anything
GOODLUCK

Closed Thread