It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

juddie HB User
Thumbs down Effexor-internal shaking

I took Effexor XL for 3 months, during that time I experienced an "internal
shaking" and a feeling of being wired up to something electrical. The shaking is inside and not visible to others.

My GP said normal with Effexor. However its now 10 months since I stopped the drug and I still experience the shaking. I am convinced that Effexor has given me some long term damage.

Has anyone else had an similar experience of
long term lasting effects.

> Thanks

Last edited by juddie; 02-28-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SandybytheSea HB User
Re: Effexor-internal shaking

I am on effexor xr and do not have any internal shaking. I was on 150 and was increased this week to 225. I do find that my body is very tense and my jaw is clenched feeling. Other than that I feel fine. I was on Celexa and my body sometimes had tremors so bad that my husband could feel them even if he was not touching me because the bed moved. I could not stand them. I did not feel them when I was moving around only when I lay down or sometimes if I was sitting. I always felt them while laying down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

I've had bad experiences with Wellbutrin, along with Cymbalta (a drug in the same class as Wellbutrin).

The only way to sum it up is that the drugs basically made me crazy. It something about neuronephenedrine (sp? whatever the other nt is in the drug besides serotonin) and dopamine that makes me really anxious and irritable. I also have the feeling like I'm crawling out of my skin, or that I need to stretch but I can't, or that I'm trapped in my body and have to get out... my psychiatrist told me there was a medical term for that feeling - but it was too big of a word to remember.

Now I stick to SSRI's for my antidepressant and OCD. After my episode with the Cymbalta, my pdoc prescribed me a low dosage on seroquel (an anti-psychotic used for schizoprenia but also for other things, and its a dopamine blocker) and that helped alot at first. Slowly it stopped helping as much. Its weird, its almost as if I took it for long enough to counteract the effects of the Wellbutrin/Cymbalta. Its something to ask your Dr. about... and the meds wouldn't be prescribed at a high enough dosage so that you'd have to take it everyday. So, you can always stop it after a week or two if you don't think its helping!

Old 02-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

juddie HB User

Thanks for your reply.

I dont really want to take any more drugs unless its really necessary. I havent took anti d's for 10 months now and am doing well. I recently took SJW for a few months, and the shaking feeling has come back since I stopped taking that.

I have heard that Vitamin B complex is very good for the nervous system, so maybe this would help with the shaking.

Its frightening that the Effexor can still effect me after 10 months, but my GP said it could continue for up to 18 months after stopping the drug. Why dont they tell you about things when you start to take them??

Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
(female)

desertflower HB User

Hi,

I am new to the board and I hope I don't upset anyone with what I am gonna say but I have been on 37.5mg of Effexor xr for 7 years and I have never had a dosage higher then 75mg, so basically right now and for the last 4 years, I have been on a non-theraputic dose. Why? because I can't get off this MED. The last time I tried was March 04 and I opened the capsules and let out little bits of the med each day for about 2 weeks when I developed horrible ringing in the ears(tinnitus). It nearly drove me insane. I was at the docs every week trying to figure out how to stop it. I wont go into all the details because it is a really long story but lets just say I spent thousands of dollars on tests, an MRI and blood work cause I thought something was wrong with my brain. It turns out that, it is a side effect and withdrawal effect from Effexor but at the time it was prescribed to me it was new and was not listed as so. I am better now but I still have some of the ringing. So yes I think it can cause damage that may not go away. I hope you get better and the shaking subsides, if it does not you can join me in the possible lawsuit I may file against Wythe. I think these meds should be studied longer then 6 weeks before they are prescribed. You guys please be careful when you try any new meds and study all you can about the drug before you agree to take it. I know I am ranting but it just really pisses me off. Good luck Juddie I hope you find your answer and hope you get better.

Hey if anyone has any ideas on a way to come off this drug, please let me know, I could use some advice.

Desert

Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
(female)

juddie HB User

Hi Desert,
I came off Effexor cold turkey, because my GP said it would be ok because I had only taken them for 12 weeks, but it wasnt ok....it was horrible.But I couldnt have taken them a minute longer, I felt so ill whilst on them.
I have had tinnitus for 20 years due to otosclorosis (a type of deafness), so I am used to having noises in my head all the time, however I did find that the tinnitus got much, much worse when I started Effexor and since I have stopped them. I still have my normal tinnitus but I also now have a loud, thundering noise...that seems to coincide with the internal shaking that I have written about.

I can tell that my doctor doesnt really believe me when I tell him about the shaking. The trouble is once you have been to the doctors with anxiety, they put any other complaint down to anxiety or your mental state, because anxiety causes many physical symptoms.

The reason that I went cold turkey with the Effexor, was that I had bad withdrawel problems getting off Seroxat, I had tried weaning and cold turkey and both ways were as bad.

My husband had horrific withdrawel from a low dose Seroxat and eventually his doctor perscribed a tricyclic (amytriptilene), which he stayed on for 3 months. This really helped him to get off the Seroxat. Maybe you could try this?

Hope all goes well.

Juddie

Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddie

Its frightening that the Effexor can still effect me after 10 months, but my GP said it could continue for up to 18 months after stopping the drug. Why dont they tell you about things when you start to take them??
Wow, I have heard that the effects could last up to 18 months, but never from a regular doctor! I'm impressed, you're doctor seems to have a clue!

Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflower
Hi,

I am new to the board and I hope I don't upset anyone with what I am gonna say but I have been on 37.5mg of Effexor xr for 7 years and I have never had a dosage higher then 75mg, so basically right now and for the last 4 years, I have been on a non-theraputic dose. Why? because I can't get off this MED. The last time I tried was March 04 and I opened the capsules and let out little bits of the med each day for about 2 weeks when I developed horrible ringing in the ears(tinnitus). It nearly drove me insane. I was at the docs every week trying to figure out how to stop it. I wont go into all the details because it is a really long story but lets just say I spent thousands of dollars on tests, an MRI and blood work cause I thought something was wrong with my brain. It turns out that, it is a side effect and withdrawal effect from Effexor but at the time it was prescribed to me it was new and was not listed as so. I am better now but I still have some of the ringing. So yes I think it can cause damage that may not go away. I hope you get better and the shaking subsides, if it does not you can join me in the possible lawsuit I may file against Wythe. I think these meds should be studied longer then 6 weeks before they are prescribed. You guys please be careful when you try any new meds and study all you can about the drug before you agree to take it. I know I am ranting but it just really pisses me off. Good luck Juddie I hope you find your answer and hope you get better.

Hey if anyone has any ideas on a way to come off this drug, please let me know, I could use some advice.

Desert
It took me 10 months to taper off of Effexor. It can be a difficult drug to come off of. It actually became harder when I hit the 37.5 mg level and below. I would open the capsules and literally count the grannules -- I always stuck with the same size grannual (there are different sizes) and never went down more than 5 grannules at a time.

I have read that it is easier if you get your doctor to write a script for a liquid version -- because tapering is easier from a liquid.

It can be done, don't give up.

P.S. I have also read that taking Prozac while tapering off other ADs can be helpful -- and Prozac is supposed to be much easier to get off of because it has such a long half life.

Last edited by SOE; 03-01-2005 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add the Prozac info

Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
(female)

desertflower HB User

Thank you Juddie and sickofeffexor, I really appreciate the advice.

Juddie, I never had any tinnitus before I tried to get off the drug. I am sorry you have had it for so long. I am used to it now and it has gotten better over time. Boy in the beginning though it scared me to death and caused me to literally become hysterical. I am also wondering if my staying on Effexor is keeping it from totally going away but I am so scared to try to stop it again because if it ever got that bad again, I think I will need to be hospitalized. I will ask my doc about the med your hubby took and see what he says. They did give me Remeron with it but I had horrible side effects from the combo, made me feel even crazier.

I hope you guys are doing well and thank you again for all the advice. Juddie, I hope the shaking subsides and you find out what is going on. I am going to see what I can find out about Effexor and shaking and I will write you back. You guys take care.

D

Closed Thread