It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

momsbrandi HB User
Paxil verses Paxil cr

I took paxil a few years ago and remember that it was great for depression and anxiety. But, I gained 40 pounds on this stuff! I see that they've come out with Paxil cr. Can someone explain the difference? Side effects are supposed to be different. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
(male)

kjarels HB User
Re: Paxil verses Paxil cr

Paxil Cr is a time released version of Paxil. I took Paxil Cr for about 7 months and gained a tremendous amount of weight. I weighed 238 lbs when I started Paxil Cr and now weigh around 275 lbs in that short period of time. I can't seem to get the weight off either. When I quit the Paxil CR I did so abruptly and please if you ever start this medicine do not quit it like I did. You must taper it off gradually because the withdrawals are terrrible. I still must say however that the Paxil Cr worked great for my depression. I am now on Luvox and I really do not like this medication, I do not think it works as well as the Paxil Cr did for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

I took Paxil about 9 years ago, and I'm sorry to say I won't be any help here, because I had no side effects. I'm currently on Paxil CR, and so far I haven't had any side effects with that, either. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

Last edited by Sugar64; 03-01-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
(female)

momsbrandi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjarels
Paxil Cr is a time released version of Paxil. I took Paxil Cr for about 7 months and gained a tremendous amount of weight. I weighed 238 lbs when I started Paxil Cr and now weigh around 275 lbs in that short period of time. I can't seem to get the weight off either. When I quit the Paxil CR I did so abruptly and please if you ever start this medicine do not quit it like I did. You must taper it off gradually because the withdrawals are terrrible. I still must say however that the Paxil Cr worked great for my depression. I am now on Luvox and I really do not like this medication, I do not think it works as well as the Paxil Cr did for me.

K, I too went cold turkey on this STUFF. Boy what a ride. I did not start with another new med though. About 2 months after I stopped paxil I started exercising, not watching what I ate, only excercising and lost 35 pounds in no time. I am back on ad's now. When I went on lexapro, the first few weeks I lost weight. Good luck to you, hope you find the right one soon. mb

Old 03-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

It's hard for me to say if I've gained weight on the Paxil CR because I have an eating disorder. I did gain weight when I was on regular paxil though. I was off Paxil CR for 3 weeks because I ran out and had the flu and my head was killing me til I got back on it. Other then that I haven't had any other side effects.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
(female)

llh973 HB User

I am currently on Paxil cr. I have not had any significant side effects, other than a small headache and drowsiness. Although, that could be due to the xanax I also take. I was previously on effexor xr for about 2 years and I went into a major depressive episode a couple of weeks ago, they increased my med to 150 mg but the depression go worse, so they switched me to paxil cr. It seems to have helped although i've only been on it for four days now. I have been on a numerous amount of ads, and have not really had any significant side effects on any of them. I did have problems on prozac with hair loss and that was about it. I think the weight gain problem just depends on your body chemistry and how you metabolism works. I usually do not have much of an appetite when I am depressed. The meds definetley help with that, but I do try to watch what I eat and keep portions in moderation.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Can anyone else share more? Thanks, mb

Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

As hard as it is to wean off regular Paxil, it's REALLY hard to wean off the time relase version because you cannot and should not break or shave the pills and you really should go down by no more 2.5 mgs at a time.

I wouldn't take ANY type of Paxil (Paxhell) for all the money in the world. It nearly killed me and my sister. She had a massive brain bleed after 3 days on it. "Cerebrovascular accident", olr stroke, is one of the side effects. Paxil's a "powerful vasoconstrictor" that can also cause thrombocytopenia.

Closed Thread