It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

batgirl911 HB User
Lexapro vs Effexor

Are there any major differences between Effexor and Lexapro? I started taking Effexor in December and it really hasn't done anything for me. My dr. has now switched me over to Lexapro. I wonder why he didn't rx Lexapro in the beginning. Is Lexapro "better"...or just "different"?

I am new at this. Any btdt advice or thoughts appreciated.

karen

Old 03-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Lexapro vs Effexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl911
Are there any major differences between Effexor and Lexapro? I started taking Effexor in December and it really hasn't done anything for me. My dr. has now switched me over to Lexapro. I wonder why he didn't rx Lexapro in the beginning. Is Lexapro "better"...or just "different"?

I am new at this. Any btdt advice or thoughts appreciated.

karen
I never took Lexapro so I can't really tell you what the differences are. But personally, I really hated Effexor, so I think you're ahead of the game.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

sirena312 HB User

I was on effexor...now I am on wellbutrin and lexapro...so far after a couple of weeks i haven't noticed a change....I also haven't had any problems with th effexor withdrawal...I have tied many combos in the last 21 years!!!I love this board and will keep all posted as I hope my Depreesion changes!igh

Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Inactive

welshboy HB User

Lexapro worked wonders for me. It is an SSRI, apparently it is the most selective of the SSRI's An SSRI works on increasing the amount of the mood chemical serotonin in your brain by blocking its re-uptake into the synapse.
Effexor on the other hand is an SNRI which effects both Serotonin and Nonepherine (spelling!). It works in the same way by blocking the rabsorbtion of both chemicals. It is argued that Effexor works better than the SSRI's because it has dual action. I did not find that to be the case.... firstly you have to be on a high dose of Effexor for it to work on nonephirine, I think 150mg or higher. Also, it is not as potent a blocker of seretonin as the SSRI's. Apparently you would need to take 400mg of Effexor for it to have the same effect of 30mg of Lexapro. Effexor did not help me. I have also tried Remeron (Zispin UK). Nothing with this either.
I am now on Seroxat (Paxil US). It is working better than the Remeron and Effexor and I am having good days that run for about 5 days at a time but then crash back into depression for a couple of days. Im hoping the bad days will get less and less severe - failing that Im trying prozac or going back to Lexapro - I have been told that if you have used on med b4 your body remembers it and it often does not respond as well.
I think I have realised through trying the various meds that my depression is serotonin related so I will stick to Seretonin meds from now on.
all the best, welshboy

Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
(male)

johnnymorton HB User

Effexor is an snri like the previous poster stated and lexapro is a newer version of celexa both of them ssri's. Lexapro hasnt really been shown to be better than celexa yet supposedly the drug has two isotopes or something like that in 50 50 % abundance yet only one has a positive effect on depression. So they eliminated to ineffective isotope of whatever and that is why 10mg of lexapro is = to 40 or 60 of celexa. If you havent taken at least 150mg of effexor for at least 3 weeks then you dont know if it will work for you. If this is your first time taking an anti depressant go with the ssri unless it doesnt work then go with something else. Make sure you keep taking it after you feel better at least for 6 months I stopped after 3 weeks cause I felt like a million bucks and a year later I had the depression come back and the drug didnt work as well.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #6
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

hi,
i was on effexor for only a short while, maybe 2 months or so, before it made me start having serious thoughts about suicide. i didn't really notice any effect it had on the depression, and every time i missed a dose i had extreme withdrawals (i was on 150mg at the time.) i went to my doc and they immediately changed my med to lexapro. i weaned off the effexor for a good three weeks as to avoid withdrawal, but i still experienced some brain zaps, dizziness, and nausea anyway. i've been on the lex since about november and at first it seemed to work wonders. but recently, as in the last month or so, i feel as though it hasn't been working as well. i feel as though i'm slipping back into a major depressive episode, but that's something i need to talk about with my therapist and pdoc. i don't know if this has helped at all, but just letting you know about my experience with both meds.
all my best,
mermaid

Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I love lexapro, but I've heard that it doesn't work as well after 6 months or so. Do you think that is true?

Old 05-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
(female)

lucylane HB User

I feel effexor is a wonderful anti-depression capsule. My depression is entirely gone. I've used it for 5 years, no side-effects at all. I also take clonazepam (anti-anxiety med). The combo works for me. It took away my depression, anxiety and even helped eliminate my tinnitus for 80 to 90% of each day.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I have GAD and sever panic disorder. I started to see a Psychiatrist about a month and a half ago after the worst panic attack of my life.
I had tried several meds but they didn't work. They actually made it worse!
He prescribed Lexapro and I was terrified to try it. I took several test and it showed depression which I thought was wrong. I didn't think I was depresssed. I suppose it's because I had been for so long from the anxiety.
I feel fantastic now. I see now that I was in pretty bad shape when I compare the way I feel now to then.
I am motivated and happy. I find enjoyment much more in simple things. The things I enjoyed before are amplified.
I have been confronted with several situations in which panic normally would have hit but was able to go about my business. It's as though my mind won't let me go there.
He told me what it does it stop the obsessive thought process in it's tracks which sums up how I describe the way I feel.
Somthing will happen and I start to get scared but it almost fades away.

Closed Thread