It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Question Wellbutrin XL, or SR??

Hi again,
Sorry for all the posts....
Which one is it that has a low risk of weight gain? Sr, or Xl?? I am thinking about asking my doc to put me on whichever one it is with the low risk of this particular nasty side affect... Thanks!

Whiskers

Old 05-06-2005, 03:56 AM   #2

barefaced HB User
Re: Wellbutrin XL, or SR??

Hi I am on SR and I think Ive lost a few pounds but not a great deal. Ive only been on it 3 weeks but things look good on it. What is the difference between the 2 types of Wellbutrin? Ive never been sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

nmesw HB User

what is it, suspended release and extended... somethin'...
explains a lot right? anyway, i know it's something like XL (the newest form) you take once a day and it extends the dose throughout the next 24 hours and SR (older form) seems to have a shorter span of time it covers, so you take it a couple/few times a day.
all i wanted to respond with (in case it's of any help to you) is that in all my researching of people's experiences, stories, it is ultimately going to be you finding your own truth; finding which is right for you, with your body.
the stories/experiences have all of their counterparts, one person who took the SR form, lost a few pounds, then switched to the newer XL form so they only had to think of it once a day and then put ON a couple pounds.
so for every answer you think you've found like that, there is the opposite story out there too. some people lose a little weight, some a lot even without trying and actually complain about it! some people don't fluctuate at all. and some people gain weight. i've only been on XL for about a month now. and i've stayed the same so far. the first two weeks i gained 3 pounds, and in the last two i lost those. it's supposed to be a weight neutral drug, but i think whichever one you choose, give it at least a month before you assume how it's going to affect you. i REALLY wanted to switch after those first couple of weeks, because i was so super-afraid of gaining any more weight. my appetite seemed to have increased and i was convinced it was affecting me in an opposite way than anyone else i'd read about with their suppressed appetite. but i gave it more time and have come to find, i'm right back where i was with my weight when i started.
oh, and another curious contistent reporting was that some people needed to work up to the 300mg a day until they felt the full affects (energy, motivation, weight loss) i'm currently still at 150 a day so i can't speak on my experience yet.
take care

Last edited by nmesw; 05-07-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the replies.
For the time being, I've actually decided to try Omega 3 fatty acids. Actually, I think what it says on the bottle is Omega 3-6-9, or something like that... I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not. I hope so, because I've heard that taking that oil can really help reduce depression in a lot of people. I'm going to give it a couple weeks, and if it hasn't helped me, I will probably go to a doctor for a prescription for AD's. And I think I'll ask the dr. for advice on which I should be the least likely to gain weight on (even though I have a feeling, that he/she will beat around the bush with the whole "every individual's experiences with the same drug are a little different" story--I know this, I just would like to start off by trying something that SUPPOSEDLY is not likely to make me gain any weight). Thanks again.

Whiskers

Closed Thread