It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #1
(female)

aek1972 HB User
what would happen if I just stopped taking prozac?

I've been on it for about a year. 20mg a day. I've forgotten to take them 3 days in a row so far. I have a terrible memory.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: what would happen if I just stopped taking prozac?

Well, how have you felt for the 3 days during which you haven't taken the Prozac? It's generally best to never cold-turkey quit a medication unless you MUST. Doing so can cause horrible withdrawals. But if you've felt ok for the past 3 days, then you could just keep going and if you start feeling funny, begin taking half a pill again or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aek1972
I've been on it for about a year. 20mg a day. I've forgotten to take them 3 days in a row so far. I have a terrible memory.
I've never had problems stopping Prozac. It's one of the easiest to quit because it has such a long half life that it stays in your body much longer than the other ADs. You should be ok... even though stopping cold turkey is not the best way to go.

But don't do it that way with any other AD. The rest really have to be tapered off of slowly.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
(female)

aek1972 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber
Well, how have you felt for the 3 days during which you haven't taken the Prozac? It's generally best to never cold-turkey quit a medication unless you MUST. Doing so can cause horrible withdrawals. But if you've felt ok for the past 3 days, then you could just keep going and if you start feeling funny, begin taking half a pill again or something.
I've felt fine so far.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Kitty-MayRN HB User
Exclamation Re: what would happen if I just stopped taking prozac?

aek1972,

Please, be careful. Just because one person doesn't have problems going cold turkey, doesn't mean its the same for everybody. Even if it's been a couple of days, symptoms can come on suddenly.
If you have been on this med for a year, your body is used to it and if its slow reaction med it will take laonger to clear out of your system.
Talk to your doctor, or at least half the dose first for a week.
I had a terrible experience when I missed one day of Effexor--the symptoms came on suddenly with hardly any warning and I thought I was going to die.

Good Luck,

Kitty-MayRN

Old 06-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
(female)

cherylr819 HB User

I was on 20 mg for about 5 months and just stopped taking it 4 days ago. I've been doing great. I was on Effexor last year and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. I weaned off of it very slowly. I'm done with medicine!!!

Old 06-12-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
(female)

healingslowly HB User

Don't just stop cold turkey, talk with your Dr first....I use to be on prozac and tried going cold turkey and OMG for me it was awful....I mean at first I was fine, but after that month was over I could not even function or even want to get out of bed, I started taking the meds again and saw my Dr, and he told me never to do that, you have to wean yourself off of it, when I went back on it, it did not work for me anymore, so I had to try different meds till I found the right one and I did eventually.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

windward402 HB User

I have been on anti-depressants for about 7 years (bad divorce and self esteem and anxiety issues now) trying paxil (I had every side affect imaginable) to zoloft which became too expensive for me since no insurance. I have been on prozac 40mg and trazadone 50mg for a little over 2 non emotional nuetral yrs (did not feel real happy or real sad) and I too stopped taking them cold turkey about 3 weeks ago. My body felt like I had a lot more energy drug free, my sex drive was coming back (finally) and I was wanting to do more things BUT my aggitation got a little worse over the days and some of the smallest things were getting me and I had a VERY HARD TIME SLEEPING more like cat napping thru the night (addiction will do that to you I guess)!!! So I started taking again (prozac 40mg and only half of my 50mg trazadone) for three days made me feel better and I stopped again last monday and I am trying this again of no more pills. I gained 15 pounds over time taking a/d's that I cannot shake NO MATTER WHAT I DO!! I do not want to be on drugs the rest of my life. I can only picture this and the dosage going up and up and where do you go from there?? and what happens then? I think if I can get over the next month I know I can make it. Has anyone else been successful and how do you feel now? PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks to everyone.. I have been reading posts for a long time and finally decided it was time for me to post.

Last edited by windward402; 07-28-2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Adding more text

Closed Thread