Uh-oh, I'm sinking again. I thought I'd make a check-off list to see if I can figure out why. I'm sharing it with you guys - maybe it'll be helpful to you to make your own lists.....??? Or add to this one....\
WHY AM I FEELING LIKE THIS:
1. Am I eating right? (NO, but it's getting better)
2. Have I recently made any major changes in my life? (YES - you mean quitting my job? Major-duty yes. Don't see my co-workers anymore, feel downsized & abused.)
3. Am I trying to go off something (drug, food, other bad habit)?? (YES, going through Paxil withdrawal, which is horrible, also sugar withdrawal, not drinking as much coffee).
4. Am I starting a new medication? (YES, but it seems to be helping).
5. Am I financially secure? (NO, I'm looking for a job. Scary. Although family is willing to help out.)
6. Am I in a happy relationship? (NO, not in any relationship. Dreary.)
7. Do I feel guilty about something? (YES, my life is going in circles - I can barely take care of my dogs. This is not how I pictured things.)
8. Am I scared of something? (YES, though probably not realistically).
9. Do I have good friends?? (YES, not many, but they're good friends)
10. Am I taking my vitamins and supplements regularly?? (NO, and I feel so much better when I take them, esp. fish oil and Vitamin C)
11. Is my family hurting me?? (NO, although they have in the past. I get along with them now.)
12. Is my family nearby? (YES and NO, my adorable nephews are nearby)
13. Do I listen to people that insult me, talk me down, or act overly critical? (NO, absolutely not. This is a learned skill.)
14. Am I hurting somebody? (YES, a little. I'm neglecting my dogs a bit because of depression and fatigue, so it's a vicious cycle. They're so innocent and patient. They don't deserve this.)
What's the use of this list??? Well, I'll tell you. I can look at it and notice that #1 and #10 can be changed right away. #2, 3, 4, 5 and 14 will change eventually for the better. #6, 7 and 8 will probably change too. All is not lost. There is hope!! And what I can't change, I can't change, so there's no use wasting energy over it.
VERY good idea! thank you!
I'm always thinking of these things too ~ if what I'm eating affects how I am feeling, like if I'm not eating healthy/eating too much junk ~ or if I'm not getting all the vitamins I need, etc. ~ so great idea to write these things down and look over them
Wow. That's impressive an impressive "questionaire"! I can definately see such a list would force one to be honest with themselves and the small improvements they can make in their own lives. Thank You for sharing it!
ditto SOE! I wonder the same thing ~ you would think since I feel so much better when I eat well and take my vitamins I would stick to it, wouldnt ya?
It's ironic, but I stick to my vitamin regime SO much better when I'M feeling better. When I was working regularly I had a little check-off list on my calendar of which vitamins to take and what time of day. (I like little check-off lists.) I took them every day at the same time - it wasn't just having a steady job that helped - it was having a steady life!
11. Is my family hurting me?? (Yes, but its my fault because I allow it)
It's not exactly your fault. You do need to take responsibility for allowing it, but it's their fault for doing it. I "trained" my family not to abuse me, and it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life. It involved "disowning" them, hanging up the phone on them, constantly interrupting them to insist that they not talk to me a certain way, and so forth. It was exhausting and affected my health. Finally most of them learned to give me some respect, and I was happy to give it back!!
I'm sorry about your marriage. I've never been married, but I've heard that divorce is like a death (even if it's for the right reasons). Best wishes to you.
I think it's a good list and a good idea. Maybe you could even take it a couple of steps further, and do "why not" and "what I'm going to do about it" lists. For example, my list would look like:
1) Am I eating right? (Answer: Not typically...) Why not? (Answer: Healthy foods not readily available. Too tired to cook. Junk food too easy and tempting.) Solution: Put junk foods on a high shelf. Grocery shop for lean meats, fruits, vegetables and complex carbs. Cook meals during an energetic period and store for later. Keep fridge stocked with chopped veggies and other easily accessible healthy foods.
2)Am I taking my vitamins and supplements? (Answer: Yes, but not in an organized fashion. Often forget to take some or take too many of another.) Why unorganized? (Answer: Too many pills to remember what to take when and how much.) Solution: Buy a pill box and put the right vitamins in for every day of the week.
3) Am I tired? (Answer: All the time.) Why? (Not sure.) Solution: (Maybe visit a sleep specialist. Ask my doctor for blood tests to check for things such as hypoglycemia, diabetes, anemia, etc. Research ways to improve sleep.)
And I'm sure I could come up with more, but work is getting busy...
Anyway, it's just a thought.
~Even an Eeyore needs a hug.~ (Hug Me Eeyore)
And of course you are all welcome to ADD to it. It's just a starter.....
I got called for a job interview today and it's amazing how much better I feel - all of a sudden!! Like magic.....
It's also amazing how much our family relationships affect our whole entire lives. I'm so glad I made peace with my parents - it made so much difference. Of course, they wanted peace, too. I haven't exactly made peace with my siblings, but your parents are the important ones. It kills me to see how many people on these boards are fighting with their families.