It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User
anyone else get really depressed after drinking?

Like the title says. Does anyone get very sad, worse than usual after drinking? I mean after as in sober or almost sober? I would compare it to what coke users call a "coke crash".

I get more depressed and suicidal than ever. Even if I had a decent day.

Anyone else do this?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
(male)

Astroboy529 HB User
Re: anyone else get really depressed after drinking?

Hi:

I stopped drinking after the depression began to grip me like a vice for exactly the reason you cited. Alcohol is a depressive and very addictive to some, so I saw more downside. What you describe is common and if possible, you might want to consider giving it up for a while.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

habitue HB User

Yes. I know someone who is a hard-core binge drinker. She used to be a close friend, but I couldn't handle being around her anymore due to this. She inevitably followed a pattern:

1. When she first began to get drunk, she'd be social and bubbly. She was upbeat and quick to tell me what a great friend I was, how beautiful I was, etc etc.

2. As the night passed on, she became angry and enraged. She'd pick fights with anyone in her path, though they were usually people outside our social circle. One night in particular, she and I went to a club by ourselves. True to form she started a fight with a man, and he chased us to my car. Luckily we got in and I locked the doors quickly enough that he couldn't get at us, but my car did take a beating. That was one out of many times my personal safety was in danger due to her combative mood.

3. After the rage subsided (usually after getting home) she became incredibly sad. She'd be nostalgic about the past, looking through old photo albums and crying; she'd feel an enormous amount of guilt for miscellaneous wrongdoings from her past; she'd lament over loved ones who had died. At times she cried so hard she could not be consoled.

Obviously the person I've used as an example is an alcoholic, but I think it proves a pretty strong point. Alcohol is a depressant. Once the fuzzy feelings of being drunk wear off, your body is still physically slowed. Whatever sadness or problems you had before you began to drink will still be there when you sober up, but you'll be less apt to deal with them.

Take care!

Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

amyp HB User

Almost the exact same thing happens to me. I could have had a perfect day. But if I drink, even just a little bit, I get VERY depressed. I'm fine while I am drinking but once it starts to wear off, it gets bad. I used to be able to drink and be fine, it actually usually put me in a better mood. Its only been the past couple of months that this has happened.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Alcohol is a depressant, that's why you feel so awful when you drink! Im a recovering alcoholic and now i have to DEAL with my depression, amongst other mental illnesses. Pure hell..............my depression never got better after i quit drinking.....but i will say, i was totally out od control mentally and physically, when i drank.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yes, indeed.
It's the major reason I am almost a non-drinker now.
The pattern is always the same: I will allow myself a drinking vacation because I like the whole drinking schema. THe first 3 or 4 days I'm jolly but then anxiety starts ABOUT EVERYTHING...in about 3 more days, the blackness descends for however long I keep up the 4 martinis a day: Death, dying, futility, panic are my constant companions.
It takes me a week off the sauce to get back on track and then I am my cheerful self...til the next "holiday."

Old 06-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
(male)

dave_81 HB User

I feel soooo much more depressed when I'm hungover. Went on a 2 day bender last week, and when I finally stopped drinking I felt like absolute ****** -- not just hungover, but really depressed and anxious; this lasted for about a week. I normally drink a lot and in the past I've drank loads (probably had a problem); but I'm seriously considering giving up (or at least cutting down a lot -- i.e., not getting absolutely wasted every single time I set foot in a bar) because afterwards I feel sooooo damn low, so much worse than normal.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

well, 2nd night of drinking and sobver now and very sad again. I hate my life. The End.

Think I'd learn...nope. I really hate my life.

(sad thing is I hate my life all the time I'm sober too)

Last edited by SadFreek; 06-11-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:16 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

racing flats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
Alcohol is a depressant, that's why you feel so awful when you drink! Im a recovering alcoholic and now i have to DEAL with my depression, amongst other mental illnesses. Pure hell..............my depression never got better after i quit drinking.....but i will say, i was totally out od control mentally and physically, when i drank.
When a drug is classified as a depressant, they aren't talking about emotional depression. It's a term used to describe what drugs in this class do to the central nervous system.

Yes, alcohol use can definitely be a catalyst with someones emotional problems and depression, but so can just as many stimulants (such as cocaine).

Old 06-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

From what i have come to understand is that you release a chemical (in your brain) when your at the high point of drinking..when you feel good. The process that makes you feel good is magnified. Then..the next day it's gone..and you feel like crap. Unexplainable down in the dumps. It happens to everyone..what can help is limitting the amount you drink and getting a good nights sleep. It tends to happen more to people who have actually gotten drunk and a less effect for those who have just had a drink. This is what i have heard..but please don't argue with me..it could be wrong..i will however check around and see if i can get the facts for us.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Yes, I do. That's why I don't drink, unless I'm in a really upbeat mood. Even then I just have one drink.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

yea, guess I'll make the same decision and stop as well. We'll see how long it lasts...

Old 06-12-2005, 03:42 AM   #13
(female)

healingslowly HB User

Yes, I agree as well...I use to go to the local bar every weekend and get loaded just to get loaded, and I felt awful after the fact...but I noticed my depression got worse so I have been drinking very rarely and when I do drink its just a few, I don't drink anymore to get loaded.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #14
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing flats
When a drug is classified as a depressant, they aren't talking about emotional depression. It's a term used to describe what drugs in this class do to the central nervous system.

Yes, alcohol use can definitely be a catalyst with someones emotional problems and depression, but so can just as many stimulants (such as cocaine).
Here are a few definitions of "depressant":

- An agent, especially a drug, that decreases the rate of vital physiological activities.
- a drug that reduces excitability and calms a person
- capable of depressing physiological or psychological activity or response by a chemical agent
- tending to depress; especially : lowering or tending to lower functional or vital activity <a drug with a depressant effect on heart rate>

Closed Thread