It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
(female)

heatherlf HB User
Cold Turkey Zoloft

I am sick of being on zoloft and I don't want to take anything else so my doctor said I could stop taking it but I needed to taper off of it so I tried that and the withdraws just last forever. I just want to stop all together so I can go ahead and get it over with. What's the worst that could happen. The only thing I am having a problem with is the electro shocks I keep getting.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
(female)

ritzylady77 HB User
Re: Cold Turkey Zoloft

Hi heatherlf,

I was just reading about the withdrawal effects of Zoloft and they seem pretty yucky. The site that i was on mentioned that Zoloft is one of the worst meds to withdrawal from
Here is a little of what the site said: Suddenly stopping Zoloft may cause unpleasant and potentially serious side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Also, Zoloft can cause serious side effects. Weight gain and sexual dysfunction are common Zoloft side effects. Less common but life threatening is the increased risk of suicide. There are a whole other heap of withdrawal symptoms, just too many to list here.

They (whoever they are ... ) always recomment tapering off of this med, like your doctor is getting you to do, and that is the best way to go. Although you may want to just completely stop, it is much better to follow your doctor's advice, and avoid the serious withdrawal effects of stopping Zoloft cold turkey.

Just my opinion...i never thought that it was beneficial to stop any med cold turkey.

Take care,

Last edited by ritzylady77; 07-25-2005 at 05:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

I went off Zoloft with no problems. But Effexor was pure hell. I had terrible migraines to the point I was put in the hospital and had tests done. No one should ever go off their meds cold turkey. I tapered off Effexor and still had all those problems.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
(female)

Larissa81 HB User

Can anybody help me? I am coming off 150mg of Zoloft per day, which I took for a year. My doctor has taken me off it over a period of 4 days. I am getting so dizzy, nauseous, brain zaps, crying for hours and hours, and having suicidal thoughts. Does this ever end? I don't feel I can take another minute of it. It just feels unbearable. Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms and does anything lessen them? Please help :-(

Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
(female)

KosmoKramer HB UserKosmoKramer HB User

Larissa,

I would suggest weaning off it a lot slower than 4 days. More like 4 weeks. Cut them in half and even get a prescriptions for the lower strength and then cut those in half. Ask for samples too if insurance won't pay.

Sorry about the withdrawl effects. They are horrid.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
(female)

Larissa81 HB User

Hi Kosmo, thank you for your reply. My psychiatrist who I believe to be quite good took me off these over a period of 4 days as they were really affecting my liver. But the brain zaps and dizziness in particular, are unbearable. I've been told to go into hospital but feel this may depress me further. Sigh, I just cannot cope with it.

Closed Thread