It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #1

Pamela12 HB User
Can You Become Immune to Your Antidepressant?

Hello Everyone! It has been a long time since I have been on the board...Now I don't recognize anyone's names so I guess we tend to come and go, don't we? Anyway, my question is has anyone ever eventually become "immune" to your antidepressant after years of being on it and had to switch to something else?

Old 07-29-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Can You Become Immune to Your Antidepressant?

Yes. Zoloft worked incredibly well for me for several years and then "pooped out". After about a year and a half off of it (while trying various other antidepressants), it is now working extremely well for me again at a low dose. My "trist" says that it probably would have worked again after 6 months off of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #3

Pamela12 HB User

Hi Index,
Thank's for your reply. I have been on Celexa now for about five years, 40 mgs a day, and for the last 7 months or so I just seem to be getting more and more depressed again. Lots of anxiety too! I finally made an appt with a psychiatrist and I go in a couple weeks. I am a bit nervous to try something else because it took me so long to adjust to my first antidepressant. I went through a couple weeks of gastritis, adjusting dosages, etc. And it took about 2 months for me to even begin feeling better. But once it did begin to work, it was WONDERFUL!!!! And I felt great for about three years. Then, after feeling sooo good for sooo long, I decided to wean myself off of my celexa (thinking I just didn't need it anymore). That was a HUGE mistake! And I eventually had to start taking it again. It really seems like ever since I tried doing that it has never really worked the same for me...Help!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Sounds like it is probably time to try a different antidepressant. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

Hi Pamela (again).

The human body seems to have an incredible ability to adapt to almost everything. I know that when I was heavily into body building there were certain supplements that I had to cycle on and off of and even the weight lifting routines had to be mixed up from time to time because the body would eventually adapt and hypertrophy would slow. Body/ mind seem to be consistantly seeking equalibrium; a state in which we are most effective.

I have gone off Celexa a few times and for me it has been: Omg, that was totally stupid!

I have switched medication a few times since 1993 because of side effects. Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, etc. If one med is not working I will try another or a higher dose. Whatever the psychiatrist recommends. It's my life.

Is the Celexa still working for you?

Old 07-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Most definitely. Your liver will eventually become tolerant to the drug, and you'll need more of it to get the desired results, much like illegal drugs. If you're on a relatively low dose, you might want to ask for an increase in dosage. On the other hand, if you're taking a pretty high dose, you might want to just change meds. However, if you have any co-existing anxiety disorders with depression, you'll most likey need a high dosage for the symptoms to subside. I don't have depression, but I do have OCD, and my therapist and GP just increased my Zoloft to 250 mg for my CBT...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-29-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #7

Pamela12 HB User

Hi Everyone and thanks for your thoughts...I am sooo tempted to just try weaning myself off celexa again and just NOT try anything else. I had such a bad experience last time I did that so it sort of scares me to think about doing it again. Maybe I just didn't give myself enough time to get through all the withdrawals, I'm just not sure. But after reading many of the posts lately I have heard nothing but negativity about any ADs, etc..I just don't know what to do...its scarey you know?

Closed Thread