It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Do anti-depressants actually work?

I have been dealing with some major stresses in my life for 10 years now. I feel like I am getting to my wits end and just can't deal anymore. This last week I have just spent in bed and don't want to get out of bed. I am so tired and sick of everything. I wonder does taking an anti-depressent like Wellbutrin really work? I don't know how taking a magic pill is going to make my life better. I deal with a bratty step kid that steals from me and says mean things about me even though I have only done everything I could for the last 10 years to protect her and make things nice for her. The teenage years are starting. Then I had a severe back injury and could not walk for a couple months and am now doing a lot better. Maybe I am dealing with post tramatic stress disorder because of going through that terrifying experience. Just so many things upset me lately and I can't stand anyone. My husband is great and I would never have survived without him. So I see people on here who talk about taking anti-depressants and everyone still seems to be depressed. So tell me do they work?

Old 08-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Do anti-depressants actually work?

It really just depends on your individual brain chemistry. Anti-depressants work for some and fail for others; the biggest reason they fail is the brand. If you do decide to start an anti-depressant, you might have to try a few different meds before finding the one that works best for you. Luckily, there's a lot of options out there, but for example, Zoloft works for me and Lexapro works for my mom but did absolutely nothing for me. (This might be because I have OCD and not depression, though...) Unless you're strictly against taking medications of any kind, it might not hurt to talk to your doctor about your feelings. Who knows? Maybe your problem can be solved just with therapy and you won't even need to take meds! If your doctor does think you need an anti-depressant, it might be wise to follow his/her advice (unless of course you're against medicating yourself for whatever reason). I realize that many PCP's nowadays are overprescribing anti-depressants, but if your doctor would recommend one, you probably need one as you've already suspected that you might have depression. For both my mom and I, the SSRI's that we take not only help for our mental illnesses but also for our irritability. Both of us can tolerate people more easily with them and we aren't constantly at everybody's throat- an anti-depressant might help immensely with the situation with your stepdaughter. At any rate, do some research on the Internet about depression and PTSD, and if you're still leaning in that direction, I'd advise talking to someone, even if it's just a therapist. I'm also in therapy (Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy for my OCD) in addition to the Zoloft, and it does seem to help me. More often, people need either straight therapy or a combination of meds and therapy. If you do decide to take an anti-depressant, don't feel ashamed. It's not a weakness! I went through the same thing when my doctor prescribed me Zoloft- stupid OCD made me feel like a drug addict and I was deathly afraid of becoming addicted. If this is your fear as well, SSRI's such as Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac are the way to go because they aren't habit forming. I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely hope that you're able to feel better soon and overcome your depression, whether it be with or without a pill. God bless and write back if you have any more questions!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread