It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

Beautyfly HB User
depression and daydreaming

i'm not sure if it has anything to do with my depression but i daydream alot. ALOT. about being happy mostly. sometimes about the man i'm still in love with, who is not in love with me. lately it's getting worse. actually i am slipping deeper and deeper into depression altogether. just wondering does daydreaming have anything to do with depression? does anyone else daydream alot through-out their day? or are they totally unrelated..?

does anyone else daydream alot?

(it's becoming a problem for me. each time i come back to reality i feel more sad. and it's interrupting my work.)

Beautyfly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User
Re: depression and daydreaming

Well from reading your post, you basically said that you daydream--to leave reality. Sure I can relate to this. Not often do I daydream but I do put my mind on things that are not realistic...example, I shop online but dont buy. Its a diversion. Just like what you are doing. It deverts you from reality if for only briefly. Reality can be difficult to really look at. Everyday, bills, problems, relationships, family affairs, etc. but at the same time to look away for too long you could be losing sight of making a change for yourself, such as looking at the problems and looking at it for the way it is. You cant change it all, but some things you can change...like making changes for bettering your life so you can be more fullfilled. Easier said than done, I realize this. Just take it one step at a time. And remember, its ok to day dream....but remember what reality is and a what a day dream is. You can build your dreams, but you have to realistically look at it to make the dream come true.
WF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Inactive

s1980 HB User

hi there.
Yep, I definitely daydream!
When I was a kid I used to frustrate my family so much because my attention was never where it should be. I sometimes still get told by people that I am not focussing on what I should be doing.

The thing is, in certain areas of our life we are not 100 percent satisfied. It sounds as though at present you are unsatisfied with a certain aspect of your life - your love life. For me it is work, I find my job unsatisfying - I am not using my brain much in my job and so I cannot keep my attention focussed.

It is not a crime to daydream. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you although some people may make you feel as though it is.
There are many many people who simply wish that they could be somewhere else, that there are parts of their life they wish they could change, they might be dreaming of something they hope to achieve, or of somebody they would like to share their life with. This is not harmful. I find it to be a way of expressing things that you cannot openly, to other people, express.

The only potential problem is that a very few people let the dream take over their life i.e begin to believe that things in the dream are really happening and then real life really begins to slide. But most people take it for what it is - dreaming. And considering what a lot of people in the world are getting up to, where is the harm in that?

All the best.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

I like to daydream, especially at work (which is sheer boredom, by the way). Some of my daydreams help me figure out what I really want out of life. They really reveal a lot sometimes. If something starts becoming really desirable, I will start to figure out how I can go about making it happen. Yes! I beleive that day dreaming can be really healthy.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
(female)

MzPrincessReina HB User

when I was seriously depressed I daydreamed reality away, its a way to cope for the moment, Lately I feel like Im having a relaps again, I find myself daydream more and more, I have been "better" for 3 years and now its returning.......

Last edited by MzPrincessReina; 08-17-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
(female)

kittypryde13 HB User

I have constant daydreaming. I got diagnosed with depression, anxiety and OCD,
3 months ago. My doctor said that I made this world in my head to escape from problems. Nobody would ever think that I was depressed or that i suffered from OCD, as I was normal .When I revealed everything about myself to the doctor, thats when I finally realized that I suffer from depression. He also said that the daydreaming is part of OCD as I constantly have daydreams again and again. The anxiety was noticable but I just thought that it was just stage-fright. I just start to sweat and shake when I have to speak in front of the class or even to answer a question.

Another thing I noticed was that even when I had friends, was that I still felt lonely. Just 3 months ago, I went on this website to get information and a week later I got my appontment with the doctor. If these daydreams are effecting your ability to do everyday things, then I think you should get checked up.

What my daydreams effected:
1. My ability to sit and study, even when I had exam or tests the next day
2. My sleep! I had problems getting out of bed in the morning as I was to busy daydreaming. Before going to sleep, I would lie down and daydream for 1 to 2 hours before going to sleep.
3. My social life! I stayed in bed for hours and just didn't feel like getting up and going out with my friends and spending time with my family (this happened sometime when I craved to daydream).
4. My weight...not that i am fat! I gained weight as I always felt so tired and didn't do that many activities as I was too busy daydreaming.
5. My attendence! Have you ever had the feeling to stay home and daydream? Well I did!

This is all the information I can give you all. Hope you find it useful as I did when I first got on this web 3 months ago. Hope you get some answers!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
(male)

scaredkid HB User

Definitely. It seems as if I have a whole other life that only exists in my head. Even my dreams at night can be tormenting when I wake up to reality and realise that none of it was real. Daydreams definitely can be a distraction, but I think I would keep to myself whether or not I daydreamed. The depressing part about daydreams is that I always compare them to reality. The things in my daydreams are usually possible but never a reality, and I always blame and hate myself for not making them a reality. Its a very interesting topic though. Dreams can make you depressed about what you don't have, but without them what would we have to strive for?

Closed Thread