It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

Hi Everyone

I hope some of you can give me some advice! I have been on Lexapro 10mg since March. I was doing great on it, but I stayed hungry and the sexual side affects were intolerable So, I decided to get my doc to let me try Wellbutrin XL. I had tapered off the Lex for about a week, down to 5mg. and then stopped it and started on Wellbutrin 150 a week ago today. I felt great until last night, except for brain zaps Monday and yesterday. Hardly any today, but last night I started getting so irritable, I could hardly stand it. Have felt that way today too. I am scared that this is a side affect of the Wellbutrin, and that I am not going to be able to tolerate it. I don't know what is Lexapro withdrawal and how much could be Wellbutrin side affects. Strange that I felt fine for a week - and then POW! The irritability started in. The first two days of Wellbutrin I felt kind of strange, but by the third day, I felt fine.

I love how Wellbutrin had made me not hungry and my sex life is back to normal but...

Anyone out there than can give me some info, their experiences, etc? I would really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Stopping Lexapro and Starting Wellbutrin XL

Please - ANYONE have some info for me?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
(male)

mspence HB User

Hi Littlejmb- Your story is so similar to mine. Was on Lex.but wt. gain was a real issue(Bulimic) & still not able to lose it. Switched to Wellbutrin XL & felt great for a week but became very irritable. Little stuff made me want to scream. This symptom decreased after another week. Now on 300 mg. and don't notice the drug at all. I hope this med. will help you. Best of luck to you. Mike

Old 08-18-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh Mike, thank you so much! That gives me hope that this will pass. I took a Valarian last night and feel much better today, but the terrible irritabilty scared me. I guess because my husband was on it for a few months about five years ago and it made him really mean. I didn't want it to do me that way. I go to my doc the 31st, so I am taking samples of 150 till then. They gave me two bottles of 300mg, but I was scared to up it after just a week. I like to go slowly. And I thought, wow - the 300mg may make me kill someone!!!

Again, thank you so much for your response!

Jackie

Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Hi
I'm hopng one of you checks this thread again. I just started wellbutrin 3 days ago, haven't noticed anything yet, but I seem prone to all the side effects of these types of drugs, always in the form of nervousness or anxiety. I also take other anti-depressants, the doc seemed to think this would keep me from getting too many side effects from the wellbutrin.(Still I am concerned, because,of course, I am an anxious and nervous person or I wouldn't need all this crap in the first place, right?) Littlejmb, did your irritability also go away? and mspence, do you feel it's helping you? If you could keep me psoted I would really appreciate it. If there's one thing I learned from this board it's that not all drugs for for everyone. ( Bad Effexor experience)
Thanks-
Kinsey

Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kensey,

I just went up to 300mg of the Wellbutrin yesterday. I felt great yesterday, but rather nervous today. Friday I had to go back on the 5mg of Lexapro along with the Wellbutrin because I felt like I had the flu, every muscle ached and I could barely move, and felt exhausted. From reading these boards, I realized that it was Lexapro withdrawl. So - within an hour of taking it, I started feeling better. I am going to slowly (very slowly) try to wean off the Lexapro. I am still kind of nervous and anxious, and I am hoping that goes away. I never really felt like that on Lexapro, I just felt wired - like I had taken speed. I can tell I do feel better on the 300mg than the 150. Guess it's too soon to tell for me. I am keeping my finger crossed though!

Jackie

PS: I've heard alot of bad things about Effexor

Old 08-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Jackie,
Thanks so much for replying. I don't know if my doc intends to take me to 300 or not. I understand that's the therapeutic( ? sp?) dose, but I think I mentioned, I am on other AD's and this is more to control the side effects. It helped me to read your thread though, at least I know what to expect, and can warn my husband. [ He's been a trooper through all of this ] Maybe he can take a fishing trip or something !]

Lets try to keep track of each other and maybe we'll be able to come up with some good advice for other people! I hope you are feeling a little better soon, meantime, try to relax, reruns of Malxcom in The Middle help me! [ I would have put a smiley there but I'm so damn computer illiterate i wouldn't figure out how to do it!]

Take care and keep me posted-
Kinsey

Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kinsey, I will keep you posted on my condition. I really wanted to do Lexapro and have the Wellbutrin added for the same reason you did. My GYN doesn't do combination therapy though. If it works out that I do have to do that, I have enough of the Lexapro to keep me going for quite a while, and I will get a perscription of the Wellbutrin when I go back to my GYN next Thursday. I just won't tell him, ha ha.

The nurse told me to just stop taking the Lexapro and start the Wellbutrin, but they are two different types of AD's and work on different brain receptors - so I went in withdrawal really bad. So, as I said, I will slowly wean myself off the Lex, and I have started 5 HTP, which is a Amino Acid that produces Seratonin (which is what Lex does). That is my goal for myself, will just have to wait and see!

I am glad my thread has helped you, I needed some feedback really bad. I was
about to come undone! I hope you don't have much anxiety and nervousness from the Wellbutrin. I didn't feel anything for about a week, then it hit me. I am sure I am still adjusting to it.

Good luck - and you keep me posted to!

Jackie

Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejmb
I felt great yesterday, but rather nervous today. Friday I had to go back on the 5mg of Lexapro along with the Wellbutrin because I felt like I had the flu, every muscle ached and I could barely move, and felt exhausted. From reading these boards, I realized that it was Lexapro withdrawl.
Hi Jackie,

I have been trying to wean myself off of Cipramil - basically the same active ingredient found in lexapro. Anyway, I was so glad to read that you had flu-like symptoms. This is exactly what I am going through at the moment on 10 mg of Cipramil (equlat to 5 mg lex). It feels like I've had the flu now for 2.5 weeks since dropping from 15 mg to 10. It's awful. Not sure what to do to be honest...should I bump it up again or do I tough this out. I'm trying to write a thesis and it's making life miserable. My mood is OK however.

Any advice would be appreciated - perhaps I should switch over to Wellbutrin???

Thanks...Scott

Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Scott, it's very scary that weaning off these AD's make us feel this way, isn't it? I honestly thought maybe it was the Wellbutrin making me feel that way, or that I was terribly sick, until I read some threads about Lexapro withdrawal and realized that was what was happening. I had two groups of girls coming to my house for the weekend (old high school buddies) and I was sick with worry that I wasn't going to be up to the weekend, and had looked forward to it so much. When I realized what was happening, I went and took half of a Lexapro and felt better within an hour. My mood stabilized too. I was an emotional and physical wreck. I will stay on the 5mg for another week, then go to 2.5 for a couple of weeks, and then TRY to get off it. I think I did that too quickly, even though I was following doctors orders. You are lucky that your mood is ok - mine was not.

If you are trying to write a thesis and it is making it hard for you to do so, maybe you should bump it back up until you are thru and then try to wean off. Are you trying to get off AD's all together or wanting to switch to something else?

Jackie

Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
(male)

mspence HB User

Hi Kinsey61-I've been on Wellbutrin xl for about 3wks. Seems to have helped some. The Depression is there but not so severe. I have been able to show up for my new job which is something. I'm not as reclusive. I guess I'm trying to say that the Depression isn't so debilitating as it was. Almost afraid to talk about it for fear I will "jinx" my progress. Just wish I could get a handle on the Bulimia. Ain't one thing,It's another! I hope things get better for you. Mike

Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Hey mike,
Thanks for responding. You didnt say, are you up to 300 mgs yet? I am only taking the 150 for 4 weeks, my doctor told me it was a slow acting drug,more or less that I wouldn't really feel anything for a few weeks. Hopefully it will help you even more in the future, and help the bulima too, which I'm guessing was the reason for the prescription? Anyway I'm thinking if it is helping you at all after only 3 weeks that's a good sign. It gives me hope and I hope you will keep me posted on your progress. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
-Kinsey

Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kinsey, I am glad you said what you did about it being a slow acting drug. I did not know that, and that gives me comfort. The Lexapro worked for me right away, so I was expecting the Wellbutrin to do that also. Today has been a good day, I have not been anxious and nervous at all. It seems like one day I'll be fine, the next anxious and nervous. We'll see about tomorrow. I sure hope that I am able to get completely off the Lexapro - but we'll see.

Oh, I believe Mike said in his original post to me that he was on 300mg. He said he had the nervousness and all that just like I did in the beginning. Let's hope that all goes away!! How are you doing on it so far?

Jackie

Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do just that and bump it up to 2/3 or 12.5 mg - that was the sweet spot for me earlier this year until I screwed everything up again by using a widescreen LCD for a day (long story but this drama all started with an inner ear problem that produced huge dizziness and anxiety).

The weird thing is I was on a half tab a few months back and stayed there for a while and was fine. This time however it's knocking the you know what out of me. I think I dropped from 15 - 10 mg too quickly. Interesting your symptoms went when you took an additional half tab that day - certainly looks like it's withdrawal that's for sure and the docs say there is no problem coming off this stuff - yeah right.

So is wellbutrin easy to get off of? Easier than this stuff we're on?

Cheers...Scott

edit: just read some of the possible side-effects with wellbutrin. The seizure thing is worrying. Have you experienced any weird effects yet?

Last edited by studyin; 08-26-2005 at 12:19 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Scott, sometimes I think we know more about these drugs than the doctors do! Yeah they say, no sexual side affects, no withdrawal - they are crazy! Yes, I definitely think mine was Lexapro withdrawal, for I started feeling ok again as soon as I went back to 5mg. Today, I am going to try going down to 2.5 and do that for a week. I have added 5 HTP in the last week, so that will boost my Seratonin level and hopefully make it easier to get off the Lex.

I do not know if getting off Wellbutrin is hard or not. Haven't experienced that yet, as I just started it a couple of weeks ago. So far, no weird side affects. I did have some at first, but now realize those were Lexapro withdrawal. There is another guy on these boards that was having a hard time because he has an inner ear problem that causes him to be dizzy and having anxiety. He was having a heck of a time. He was going for some type of therapy for it (the ear problem). Haven't seen him around in a while, so not sure how he is doing.

Well - hope you do ok, do whatever makes you feel better, I say!

Jackie

Closed Thread