It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

Mommy5168 HB User
Wellbutrin/Cymbalta/Phentermine

Hi Everyone -

I'm trying to find out if anyone out there has been on any combination of these three medicines at any time. I started out with Wellbutrin 300mg and Zoloft 50mg, but stopped the Zoloft because of a 10lb weight gain. My Doctor then gave me Cymbalta 30mg to take in combo with the Wellbutrin to eliminate anxiety. Since starting the Cymbalta, I feel 100% better. The combination of the two seems to be a perfect fit for me - BUT - the weight gain is continuing. I have now gained almost 20lbs just since May and it is really stressing me out. Last week my Doctor started me on Phentermine 15mg to try to get my appetite under control and I have not noticed any difference with it yet.

So - if anyone has any suggestions or has experienced the same weight gain with these medicines, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I normally weigh between 120 and 125 and am now close to weighing 145. I know all the healthy eating tricks and gym routines. I take vitamins, drink green tea, and tons of water - BUT I can't stop picking and eating and GAINING! I never experienced any of this before starting these medicines.

Looking forward to hearing some good responses.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin/Cymbalta/Phentermine

Welcome to the boards!

I gained a lot of weight on Effexor but when I started on the Wellbutrin it did help my appetite to decrease. I have recently seen a new doctor and he wants me to wean from the Wellbutrin and start Cymbalta. I am sorry I don't have any other experiences to share with you on these drugs.

Best wishes,
Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

i could be wrong but I've done a lot of reading the past couple days about anti depressants and herbs and amino acids, and with all of these it seems like the ones that are anti-stress and calming like Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro, etc, cause calmness, sleepiness, and constant hunger/weight gain ~ and the ones that pick you up, give you energy, maybe interfere with sleep, like Wellbutrin, Phenylalaine, etc. make you lose your appetite, not hungry and lose weight ~ maybe everyone already knows this but I'm just figuring it all out, lol ~ so Wellbutrin gives you energy and takes away your appetite, but the anti-stress ones make you calm, sleepy and make you hungry all the time ~ from everything I have read anyway

Old 09-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingirl72
i could be wrong but I've done a lot of reading the past couple days about anti depressants and herbs and amino acids, and with all of these it seems like the ones that are anti-stress and calming like Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro, etc, cause calmness, sleepiness, and constant hunger/weight gain ~ and the ones that pick you up, give you energy, maybe interfere with sleep, like Wellbutrin, Phenylalaine, etc. make you lose your appetite, not hungry and lose weight ~ maybe everyone already knows this but I'm just figuring it all out, lol ~ so Wellbutrin gives you energy and takes away your appetite, but the anti-stress ones make you calm, sleepy and make you hungry all the time ~ from everything I have read anyway
Thanks, Campingirl! It helped me to get your perspective on this subject.

Closed Thread