It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
Question Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a month now. I was on Lexapro 10mg and wanted to switch because of the sexual side affects. I have been on 300mg for about two weeks now, and now find that I cannot sleep at night. This has been going on this entire week! I just can't keep going like this!

My question is this - has anyone found any natural supplements that helped you to sleep while on this med? I don't want to be dependent on sleeping pills!

Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin XL and Insomnia

little ~ you might know all this already, but just in case you dont ~ I know it isn't natural but I called my pharmacy and she said I can take Tylenol pm with Wellbutrin and I looked up info on Tylenol pm and its says its not habbit forming ~ I dont take it every night, just when I cant sleep ~ the ingredient in the sleep meds that makes you sleepy is actually just an antihistamine ~ like if you look at the active ingredient in Benadryl and other allergy meds with antihistamine it's Diphenhydramine ~ that is the exact same ingredient in Tylenol pm and other sleep meds ~ and the exact same ammount ~ that's why Benadryl makes you sleepy ~ and it works very well for me, I sleep VERY well when I take it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey girl,

The problem with that is that when I take that type of antihistime, I feel groggy the whole next day, I feel like I'm in a fog. I do have another type of prescription antihistimine and I could probably take half of one. They make me terribly sleepy too.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I've heard other people say that too ~ that it makes them sleepy the next day ~ I feel great the next day, cuz I've slept so well ~ I could NOT sleep at all Tues and Wed night so last night I took the tylenol pm and I slept great! very deeply, I didnt even get up once to pee like I usually do, lol ~
I wonder why it makes you sleepy the next day, cuz it has the same ingredient as Benedryl and it wears off after 4-6 hours ~ Benedryl you take every 4-6 hours, so it shouldnt be cuz it's still in your system ~ ? ~ must be something else ~ ?

I read a book on amino acids a few years ago ~ that's where I first heard of 5htp and lots of others ~ I remember there was one they mentioned that really calms you down and makes you sleepy but I cant remember what it was (I didnt have trouble sleeping at the time) I"m going to try to find out what it is for you ~ I'll see if I can find the book or find it on the internet ~ I'll let you know

Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CG,

Benydryl does me that way too (sleepy the next day). I guess it just stays in my system longer. Well - so far me, you, Austen and Gus are all not sleeping! This is ridiculous. I took Ambien one night and slept really well, but I don't want to have to take prescription meds to sleep.

Was the herb you were talking about Valarian?

Old 09-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

TRYPTOPHAN (Essential Amino Acid)
A natural relaxant, helps alleviate insomnia by inducing normal sleep; reduces anxiety & depression; helps in the treatment of migraine headaches; helps the immune system; helps reduce the risk of artery & heart spasms; works with Lysine in reducing cholesterol levels

Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

geez I should be taking tryptophan ~ I have all those things!!!
insomnia, anxiety, depression, migraines ~ might have to go to Target today

Old 09-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CG,

You can't buy the Thyptophan anymore - it was banned a few years ago becaue of contaimination and made alot of people sick. Now you can buy it in the form of 5 HTP, which I am already taking. It's not helping me sleep yet! I think I will try taking 100mg tonight rather than the 50mg. I will let you know how that works. It's also supposed to be for appetite control!! yeah!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I should take this one too.......

PHENYLALAINE (Essential Amino Acid)
Used by the brain to produce Norepinephrine, a chemical that transmits signals between nerve cells and the brain; keeps you awake & alert; reduces hunger pains; functions as an antidepressant and helps improve memory

Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

ahhh darnit!!! figures huh ~ sounds like it would be great and we cant get it

Old 09-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I remember Kava Kava is suppose to be relaxing and aid in sleep......

Kava Relaxes Muscles
According to Chris Kilham's book 'KAVA, Medicine Hunting in Paradise' (1996, Park Street Press, pgs.. 103 - 104) "First and foremost, kava is a local anesthetic, with potency similar to that of cocaine and procaine. It numbs the tongue and throat when drunk in its traditional form or when taken orally as a liquid extract. Kava is a first-rate sedative, producing a state of calm, and promoting sleep if taken in sufficient quantity. Kava is an excellent analgesic, but its mode of activity as a pain reliever has yet to be determined. It is superior to aspirin in its analgesic effects, and less potent than morphine. Kava is an excellent muscle relaxant and can make the pain of an aching back, a sore neck, or any other cramped, sore, or injured muscle disappear."

but it's driving me nuts ~ I cant remember the one in the book that is really supposed to help ~ grrrrrrrrrrr

Old 09-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

this isn't what I'm trying to think of, but interesting.............

Melatonin:

Do you have insomnia? Are you always tired? Do you have to nap during the day? Do you have trouble sleeping? Are you always sleepy? Do you need more sleep? Do you get jet lag?

Melatonin may solve these problems; naturally, safely and without harsh or addicting drugs. Available in 3 mg. Melatonin for continuous help in sleeping through the entire night. Pure, safe and natural, Twinlab or MRM Melatonin is the most effective sleep aid that you can use.

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone produced by the pea-sized pineal gland of the brain. In the absence of light, melatonin secreted by the pineal gland makes your body ready for sleep by slowing body processes and making you feel sleepy. Because of this ability to facilitate sleep, scientists have found that melatonin can be used to reset the body's "biological clock" that determines our sleep/wake cycle. This amazing ability can also be used to adjust the sleep patterns of people changing sleep times due to shift work or people suffering from jet lag. An extra bonus of melatonin is its extraordinary anti-oxidant activity. By destroying free-radicals, researchers report that melatonin can prevent a multitude of diseases and possibly extend life through its anti-stress, anti-aging and anti-cancer properties.

Output of melatonin by the pineal gland declines rapidly with age. Researchers speculate that this is why older people have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep and getting deep, restful sleep. They also hypothesize that this decrease in melatonin is a major contributor to the bodily declines associated with old age. Supplementation with Melatonin allows the return of continuous, deep, restful sleep. Melatonin can also be used to combat jet lag and reset the body's clock for shift workers, all while protecting the body from the harmful free-radicals that cause diseases and shorten life.

Since its discovery in 1958 there have been over 4,000 articles published describing melatonin as safe. It is practically non-toxic and, if used properly, will not cause the uncontrollable drowsiness associated with sleeping pills.

Twinlab and MRM is U.S. Pharmaceutical Grade with a purity in excess of 99.5%. Each capsule is also certified free of yeast, wheat, corn, rice, soy, milk, eggs, glutens, starch, sugar, animal derivatives, artificial color and added preservatives.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

its Gaba ~ I finally found it ~ that was driving me nuts that I couldnt think of it, I knew it started with a G and was a short word ....................

What Is It?

Popularly referred to as the body's natural tranquilizer, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is an amino acid produced in the brain. It acts as a neurotransmitter--a chemical that fosters communication between nerve cells--and helps to keep stress-related nerve impulses at bay.

Normally, the brain pumps out all the GABA we need. Unfortunately, due to a poor diet, exposure to environmental toxins, or other factors, levels of GABA may become depleted. Too little of this important compound may result in anxiety, irritability, and insomnia. A deficiency of GABA has also been linked to depression.

Because various safety issues have recently surfaced concerning the use of the popular tranquilizing herb kava, nutritionally oriented physicians have begun recommending GABA more frequently. Basically, the clinical effect of both GABA and kava appears to be the same, namely they're both gentle and nonsedating tranquilizers. GABA is now available as a supplement in pill and powder form.

Health Benefits

GABA supplements appear to promote relaxation and sleep. They may also have a role to play in preventing seizures and allaying chronic pain.

While GABA has been tested for improving exercise tolerance, decreasing body fat, and stabilizing blood pressure, research on the supplement's effectiveness and safety for these purposes has been mixed at best. GABA supplements have also been proposed for improving concentration in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and promoting prostate health, although it remains untested for these purposes.

Specifically, GABA supplements may help to:

Promote sound sleep. GABA participates in promoting relaxation, which explains why many well-known anxiety medications--Valium among them--target GABA receptors in the brain. But unlike many prescription tranquilizers, GABA is not habit-forming.
GABA itself does not cause drowsiness. Instead, by easing anxiety, it simply makes it easier to fall asleep. Some research indicates that the popular insomnia-fighting herb, valerian, boosts GABA levels too. When specifically treating sleep disorders, some people like to rotate GABA with valerian or melatonin, the popular hormone-based sleep supplement.

Allay stress. GABA may be taken to calm the mind and body. In this respect, it is much like better-known prescription tranquilizers, such as Xanax and Valium, but doesn't carry the fear of addiction. Persistent stress may also contribute to depression, and some evidence suggests that GABA may have mood-elevating properties.

Combat chronic pain. Stress can aggravate pain, making you feel worse. As a natural stress-reducer, GABA supplements can help to relieve the intensity of pain. They may also lessen pain-related nerve impulses.

Treat epilepsy. While the specific cause of epilepsy often remains a mystery from individual to individual, a link has been made to naturally low GABA levels and seizures in some cases. Like a pistol lock, GABA appears to inhibit nerve cells in the brain from firing and setting off seizures. Interestingly, many standard epilepsy drugs, such as benzodiazepines and phenobarbital, serve to enhance GABA levels in the brain.

Last edited by campingirl72; 09-09-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You actually may be able to order it off the internet, and some Health Food stores may carry it, but you can't purchase it at Walmart, Target or any of those places.

Actually you don't need to take the Phenylalaine because it produces the same neurotransmitters as Wellbutrin. You would really be wired!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

Special tips:

--GABA is usually found in the amino acid section of the supplement aisle.
--For those who don't like swallowing tablets, capsules can be opened and added to juice or water, as can powders. A sublingual tablet, which is placed under the tongue until it slowly dissolves, is also available.

For insomnia: Take 500 to 1,000 mg an hour or so before bedtime. It will have a calming effect that can help you fall asleep. If anxiety is contributing to your sleep problems, combine GABA with other natural tranquilizers, such as the herb valerian.

For stress: Take 250 mg three times a day.

For chronic pain: Take 250 to 500 mg three times a day.

Closed Thread