It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

pitseleh HB User
jobs

how many of you are working full time? how do you find it - do your problems often interfere or does work make them worse?

I've been having a tough time at work but just about managing. It's quite a stressful job but I make it worse but putting extra pressure on myself in my head and feeling very bad if things don't go right..

Old 09-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User
Re: jobs

I work full time. My work accounts for about 90% of my depression and anxiety. My job is very stressful and when Friday rolls around I feel like I've been hit by a truck because I'm so tired and achy, since I've been tense and never sleep well on a work night. I am fully convinced that my life would be better if I found another job or could take time off somehow, but I worry that I'll regret it moneywise. It's not like I actually earn that much to begin with. I've already been criticized for being too "sensitive" of things (yes I actually have feelings and show compassion toward others while they're a bunch of backstabbers). The corporate world is not a kind world for someone who already has issues with depression, anxiety, and self esteem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1970
I work full time. My work accounts for about 90% of my depression and anxiety. My job is very stressful and when Friday rolls around I feel like I've been hit by a truck because I'm so tired and achy, since I've been tense and never sleep well on a work night. I am fully convinced that my life would be better if I found another job or could take time off somehow, but I worry that I'll regret it moneywise. It's not like I actually earn that much to begin with. I've already been criticized for being too "sensitive" of things (yes I actually have feelings and show compassion toward others while they're a bunch of backstabbers). The corporate world is not a kind world for someone who already has issues with depression, anxiety, and self esteem.
Amen to that! If you have any "real" compassion it comes across as being fake.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
(female)

brokenspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha317
Amen to that! If you have any "real" compassion it comes across as being fake.
YOU HAVE GOT THAT STRAIT! MY JOB IS VERY STRESSFUL AND I HAVE TO TRY TO COVER UP MY PROBLEMS I MEAN YOU CANT LET THEM GET IN THE WAY WHEN YOU ARE WATCHING SOMEONE DIE. THAT IS WHAT I DO. I SET WITH A LADY WO HAS ALZHEIMERS AND IS SLOWLY DYING. I SPEND MY DAY WIPING BUTT AND TRYING TO CONVIENCE AN 86 YEAR OLD LADY THAT SHE IS IN HER HOME AND THAT SHE IS NOT IN A NURSING HOME AND TYING TO KEEP HER COMFORTABLE. I MEAN EVERYONE KNOWS SHE IS DYING EXCEPT HER AND SHE ASK YOU AM I EVER GOING TO GET BETTER. YOU FIGHT BACK THE TEARS AND TELL HER, YOU JUST NEED TO REST AND TRY TO GET YOUR STRENGTH BACK. HALF THE TIME SHE DOESNT EVEN KNOW SHE IS IN THE WORLD SHE WILL TRY TO TALK TO YOU AND ALL COMES OUT IS A STAMMERING STUDDERING JUMBLE THEN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE SHE WILL BE TO HERSELF. AND SHE CRIES AND CRIES AND CRIES THIS IS VERY STRESSFUL AND AT TIMES I SET AND HOLD HER HAND AND CRY WITH HER. I LOVE HER THOUGH AND IT IS SO HARD WATCHING HER DYE EVERY DAY AND WONDERING IF WHEN YOU GO INTO WORK IF SHE WILL DIE WHILE YOU ARE THERE. I HAVE WATCHED 3 PEOPLE DIE IN MY LIFE AND TO BE HONEST I REALLY DONT WANT TO SEE ANYMORE BUT I WILL IF I HAVE TOO. 2 WERE ELDERLY LADIES THAT I TOOK CARE OF THE OTHER WAS MY GRANNY. I PROMISED HER THAT I WOULD STAY BY HERSIDE AND I NEVER LEFT IT UNTIL SHE DIED. IT WAS HORRIABLE AND I REALLY NEVER WANT TO SEE ANYTHING LIKE THAT AGAIN AS LONG AS THE GOOD LORD LETS ME LIVE, BUT IT IS MY JOB, TO STAY BY THEM AND HELP THEM IN THEIR DYING DAYS.
CATHY

Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

A lot of jobs are very stressful. Sometimes it is the job itself, or the way we are expected to carry out the job. Sometimes we aren't allowed enough time to do what is expected of us. In order to do a great job, we need the right tools, training, support, and enough time to do it. Other times the stress is due to your supervisor's management style, or a personality conflict.

If you bring issues to the workplace, such as depression, insecurity, anger, irritability, negativity, or unpredictability, they are easily noticed and discussed among your co-workers. The supervisor will eventually catch wind of it.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
(female)

sashaannm HB User

This is a good topic. I am starting a new job on tuesday and I am completely dreading it. To have to start a new job when you are having such horrible feelings of sadness and despair. Im afraid that Im going to go in there on my first day and just make a horrible impression. Im so tired of the office world. I think that soon Im going to start cleaning houses for a living with my best friend. At least then I will be moving around doing stuff instead of just sitting at a desk where you have all the time in the world to think. Besides we will be working for ourselves and not having a "boss". We get the money we make. We wont be making money for someone who wont appreciate it, for someone who doesnt even know our names.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
(female)

pitseleh HB User

good luck with your new job. I think that if you put some extra effort in now even though it can be hard work when you're stressed about it, it could really help. First impressions are important.. if you can get on with the people it might not be so bad.

but your idea of working with your friend is a good back up plan, if this doesn't work out!

I'm also sort of starting a new job on Monday - well it's the same job and the same company but I've been moved sections so there's all new people and ways of doing things.

I'm a little worried about it. I went through a period wanting to switch jobs completely and do something I enjoy more, but I know that would be years of work and studying in my subject "wasted" and I'd be starting at the bottom. It's tough. I'm trying to be positive about it now and I'll see how it goes.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

All new jobs are scary to me. I think you really have to psych yourself up to get through the first few weeks. It is very tiring and stressful for a while. I always take lots of notes because I've learned that so much is coming at you, even though it may not seem hard, you can't remember it all. If you take notes, you can review them at home. It's hard to remember things also, when you're nervous.

It would be great if we all had jobs that we really enjoyed.

I enjoy mine right now, but it is to end in June. I'll need to change directions (get some education) and then look for another job. At my age, I have lots of different experiences, but employers will look only at my age, I'm afraid.

Good luck with your jobs. Think positive thoughts. I've had to stick with jobs that I didn't like at first, but they got better as I got used to them and could "make them my own" so to speak. I developed methods that worked for me, and they worked out, eventually.

If you stick with it for several years, however, and it only gets worse, you may need to look elsewhere. No need in wasting years and getting older if you are not compensated or appreciated.

Best of Luck.

Jecca1

Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Felicia65 HB User

I can remember there was a time in my life were I could not work due to depression and anixty/panic attacks... But I love to work I love the freedom of my money, Remember every one is there for the same reason they need money, So you are no diffirent Just live for your self and no one else. Felicia

Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

RainSerpent HB User

I work 40 hours a week but it is in 12 hour shifts. I do all right if I get enough sleep. If I am really tired, it will all go downhill rather quickly. Perception seems to be the key to enjoying what I do.

Last edited by RainSerpent; 09-12-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
(female)

RushingRiver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicia65
I can remember there was a time in my life were I could not work due to depression and anixty/panic attacks... But I love to work I love the freedom of my money, Remember every one is there for the same reason they need money, So you are no diffirent Just live for your self and no one else. Felicia

I don't suffer from panic attacks, some anxiety and depression. I couldn't even fathom working. I don't know how you guys do it. I feel like I would be the most unreliable employee out there. I ran my own business for years and I really hated those staff calling in sick all the time because it meant I would be doing "double time"... So I can see it from both sides and for that reason I beat myself up and believe I am not capable of working.. Gosh is there an end to this turmoil in my head in sight?

(big sigh)
RR

Old 09-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #12
(female)

pitseleh HB User

it can be difficult some days, but I suppose work takes your mind off things, if you can get wrapped up in that. And can be satisfying when you get things done. (if you can cope with when they go wrong that is.)

also I think for me it's good pushing myself to mix and get on with people at work. It doesn't come that naturally so can be hard but I think it does me good in the end..

Closed Thread