It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #1

Jewel2436 HB User
Question The occupations of depressed people

Hello,
I have suffered from depression since childhood. To this day I look around and everyone acts as if life is easy and everything is hunky dory! I am an educator, and wonder how I even got there... suffering from this illness (off and on) my whole life. I wonder if I am the only one in my school? I am also curious as to the occupations of others who suffer from depression and how they deal with it on the job!
Thanks,
Jewel

Old 09-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

Missus HB User
Re: The occupations of depressed people

this is a vote of confidence for me in a way. i too suffer from depression on and off along with some other mental illnesses and mental problems - i am due to start uni next year to begin my climb to a career in human rights law (hopefully). right now, i dont see me even getting to uni next year cos ive got a whole year of nothing to do between now and then and i dont know if i am strong enough to do that. i am pretty sure there are many people in professional careers in the likes of education and law who suffer from depression and various other mental illness - although i think they (we) tend to be very creative and are often happier in a creative profession like acting or music. just my opinion mind you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #3

prozack HB User

Missus
Wow ,Human rights law seems very stressful and not suited to a depressed person.
Lawyers are a certain breed of person.Their morals and feelings are oftentimes contradicted by the law that they serve until they become jaded and indifferent.
Choose your profession carefully.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #4

prozack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel2436
Hello,
I have suffered from depression since childhood. To this day I look around and everyone acts as if life is easy and everything is hunky dory! I am an educator, and wonder how I even got there... suffering from this illness (off and on) my whole life. I wonder if I am the only one in my school? I am also curious as to the occupations of others who suffer from depression and how they deal with it on the job!
Thanks,
Jewel
Jewel
I was a machinist for many years which just added to my depression.Needed to be very focused .Stress and focused didn't mix well.Had to leave it for the sake of my health.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

Star Heart HB User

I have two jobs. Job A is in a Corporate Accounting Dept and Job B is as a CNA in a nursing home. I get much more enjoyment from the 2nd job than I ever will in Accounting.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

It would be nice to see the variety of jobs on this healthboard. So many people on here seem gifted. They word posts so beautifully. They are compassionate. They are expressive and creative.

I also think that creativity is part of it, as Missus said. My sister-in-law has struggled with depression for years, is now on lithium and other meds (don't know what), and she is a very creative person. Her talent is in drawing with pencils, sketching people and animals. She has also done water coloring which is beautiful. She is a good cook, a good mother, and a good friend to many. She is imaginative and a lovely person inside and out, yet she has been diagnosed as bi-polar. She has had numerous problems adjusting to meds. Had times when she had no drive to be creative (like drawing). She needs to sleep a lot and tires easily. She is also an epileptic and takes meds for that. She has a little boy, age 4 or 5 and is patient, at least when I have been around. I can tell she is sometimes nervous, though. She enjoys playing cards with neighbors and is fun to be around, when she feels up to it.

She hasn't worked on a part-time job in years, but I think she helps out at church when she feels like it.

I read on here that it's not really good for a depressed person to be alone. They mainly do not like themselves or find fault with themselves. I wonder if it is better for a person like my sister-in-law, to have a part-time job at least. It would give her something else to think about. It would put her in public where she could see there are others with problems like hers. It would be proof to her that she is an o.k. person. There are all types out there. Some smarter, some less smart. Some prettier, some less pretty. Some possibly more talented, many far less talented. It would, as it has me so many times, force her to function, when she didn't really feel like it, until she had passed through the difficult period.

I don't know the answer. I just want the best for her and I want to help. She has so much to give. To me, she is more talented than anyone I know. It is a shame for it to be wasted. I wish that she could teach art to children in a community setting. Like those classes you take at a school in your neighborhood, some for adults, some for children.

She has had part-time jobs in the past such as house cleaning and babysitting, but they ended up making her nervous. She felt pressured. If she was given a negative remark, she would quit. It was too hard for her to take.

I do think that I will drop her a note and let her know how wonderful and talented she is.

Jecca1

Old 09-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
Cool Re: The occupations of depressed people

Hi

I had planned to be an elementary school teacher, but I decided, a semester into the Teacher Credentialing Program, that I wasn't quite right for the profession. I sometimes think about returning, but I have since almost finished another degree in the medical field, so I may hold off on that.

Currently, I am working part-time as a tutor/librarian at my college, and it has been a fairly good experience thus far. I really enjoy helping people, so I enjoy the tutoring aspect of it, and I'm looking forward to beginning my career. There is a fairly large children's hospital in a nearby city, and I would really like to work there in some capacity.

Like a lot of us, my depression also comes and goes so, ocassionally, I have to fight it off while I'm at school or at home. It has been really stressful at home lately, as my sis-in-law, brother, two nephews and one niece are living here at my mom's house. I haven't been getting as much sleep as I need, so I have been having to fight off my bouts of depression even more as of late, though the Prozac that I'm taking has been helping to balance me out a little more, as well as the methods of coping that I have learned from a CBT group that I was a member of about two years ago.

Hopefully, I can make it through school (where I'm doing very well), and land a job in my field .

**UPDATE: I am now working as a Billing Assistant at a medical group in town, and I am really enjoying it. I have met some wonderful people, and I have gotten a lot of outside experience that has helped me in my classes (and vice versa ).

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 12-24-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

hgray37 HB User

Interesting thread......I'm a vice president (VP of Construction Management and Land Development) with a fairly large commercial construction company. I have PTSD and stress is always a major part of my job with meeting schedules and deadlines. And there are indeed days when I struggle, and yes......there are days when I just don't want to get out of bed and face another problem or make another decision. But I agree with what Jecca said about creativity. For me, there is such a satisfaction in seeing an empty piece of land become the home of a large office building or shopping center. To start with a set of drawings and piece by piece see the structure take shape. And when it is completed and actually occupied to then walk through that building and see what you have helped to create. I'm sure if I had a job doing the same thing everyday over and over I would probably not be able to sit here and write this. But fortunately, and thanks to God I have been blessed with the job that I have. Teachers can see the results in their jobs by watching their young students grow and develope, nurses see their patients recover from illness, artists and musicians all create joy for others. There are some many other rewarding jobs out there, I could never begin to list them all, but I do believe that being creative, artistic and experiencing the joy of helping others, plays a major part in helping us to deal with our own depressions.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

I'm a nurse (23 yrs) and have worked in high stress areas most of my career(ICU, ER). I have suffered from depression most of my adult life. I think I became a nurse because it helped me feel good about myself. But sometimes the stress of not being able to save someone is depressing. But then I have to think of all the folks I helped save or helped to live a longer, pain-free life. God Bless everyone here.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
(female)

Drafter HB User

I'm a plain ole housewife and mom. I also live in the country and get zero contact with others except for my husband and children. Which is okay with me as I am a hermit at heart.

I guess I could be considered artistic -- I have a BFA in Art, and was a pretty good artist at one time. No time for that now, tho, as chores indoors and out take too much time. If I want to be creative, well, I can always rearrange the towels.

I am that rare mother who just can't wait for her kids to start school, continue school, than move on to the rest of their lives. I used to look forward to those days when the kids would be gone and I could at last return to some of those artistic pursuits. Well, god played a cruel trick and said "hah! so you think you have it all planned out?!" and our last child was born handicapped. She'll probably be with us the rest of her life.

So I'll just muddle thru. I like to think of the line from Douglas Adams' : ". . . I just hang the lot of it, and try to keep myself occupied."

Old 09-17-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

I'm on disability right now but when I first got depressed I was working for an ambulance service. I have an Associates Degree in Business Administration and a Diploma in Astrology/Parapsychology.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

Drafter HB User

Here's a bump to get back . . .

Old 09-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

I'm a software engineer. Mostly when I'm down, I just don't do anything at work. Luckily it's never lasted long enough that it became obvious... software is not a real quantitative industry... I would have to do nothing for like a week or more before anyone would be able to tell. And most of the rest of the time I'm an above-average worker, so on the whole my bosses have always been happy with my work.

I dunno about creativity... I guess I am in some ways, but I'm definitely not artistic. I'm good at solving problems creatively though.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #14
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

Solving problems creatively is also showing creativity.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

Could teaching be a good career for a depressed person?

Closed Thread